BookSmart

Locked Is there any plan to add the ability to convert a book from booksmart to PDF?

I’m using Booksmart to generate my book for review by publishers so I’ll be printing of several copies from Blurb.  Hopefully they’ll like they book and want to print it.  It would be nice to not have to rebuild the whole thing in word again.

Are there any plans for Blurb to allow us to output our book in some format, like PDF, that can be used by mainstream publishers?

Posted by
aaroberts
Jun 10, 2008 2:02pm PDT
aaroberts

A personal view, I don’t work for Blurb.

Blurb make their money from printing books.

I’d be really surprised if they were willing to provide the FREE BookSmart software, which must have taken many thousands of hours to develop, to people who are then going to give their money to an alternative publisher for publication.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 10, 2008 3:28pm PDT
tfrankland

On the other hand, I think it would be smart of Blurb to do this.  I’m thinking about doing exactly the same thing you are.  I’m done a second book through book smart which I think could be publishable, so I’m going to show it to publishers and agents, etc.  Of course, I’ll buy 10 or more copies to send out.  So, I think they actually WOULD make more money if they created some possibility of easy transfer.  Obviously, I’m not going to order 500 books from Blurb at this price….I’ll want and need a publisher or printer and a more cost effective way of producing more books. 

Posted by
Katherine111
Jun 11, 2008 9:26am PDT
Katherine111

Oh, dear…proof reading….so important.  "I’ve done…."  Not "I’m done."

Posted by
Katherine111
Jun 11, 2008 9:27am PDT
Katherine111

Maybe the advantages for Blurb to help create the possibility to convert from Book Smart to PDF would outweigh the disadvantages. This would solve all the questions about changing book size without redoing the whole thing for instance – as well as other tweaks, which are not (yet?) possible in Book Smart.

Posted by
denarend
Sep 2, 2010 9:38pm PDT
denarend