BookSmart

Locked Upload problems!

I’m trying to upload my first blurb book so I can get it printed. But whenever I try I get the exact same error message saying “Hmmm we’re having problems uploading your book.” Then below that it says “0 Init.”

Am I doing something wrong?? Does it make a difference i’m using a MacBook and not a Windows based computer?

Posted by
Simon-K
Jun 26, 2008 3:09pm PDT
Simon-K

Howdy Simon-K,

For these types of crucial and time-sensitive technical issues, it is best to contact Customer Support (by clicking here and filling out the form). 

Most of us use Macs here at Blurb HQ, so I assure you that’s not the problem. Customer Support should be able to identify and solve/workaround your issue.

Best regards and thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jun 26, 2008 5:08pm PDT
jbates

Hi, I am having the same problem as Simon-K. Any ideas yet?

Posted by
julianlynch
Jun 28, 2008 12:10pm PDT
julianlynch

Hello,

I also have the same problem. HELP! I’m not am Mac user.

Posted by
YvonneSmits
Jul 4, 2008 8:29am PDT
YvonneSmits

Me also, i am currently encountering the same problem. I have to order my book….

Any solutions here? And I AM NOT A MAC USER......

Posted by
llmichiell
Jul 6, 2008 9:02pm PDT
llmichiell

Hi all,

If you encounter these types of issues over a holiday weekend and need answers fast, searching our FAQs is a good way to go.

Please click here for an FAQ with basic upload troubleshooting steps. If those don’t work, please be sure to contact customer support (if you haven’t done so already).

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jul 6, 2008 10:23pm PDT
jbates

i am receiving a chunk sequence error when uploading…anyone know how to fix & upload?

Posted by
surett2
Jul 7, 2008 3:18am PDT
surett2

Hello surett2;

There are many reasons why these fairly complex upload processes fail, and, as far as I know, no "standard" fix…

There are 3 options;

- Try, try & try again…

- Try uploading from a different PC or using a different ISP

- If all else fails – contact Blurb Tech Support here….

Not much in the way of constructive help – but that’s the way it is!

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 7, 2008 4:50am PDT
lkb-28

I had the same problem. I downloaded BookSmart to another computer and exported by book. Now that I am importing and try to upload I am finding the fonts are saved under the correct names but not showing up in the preview the same. How can I fix this so I can try to upload?

Posted by
danabryant
Jul 9, 2008 6:01pm PDT
danabryant

Hello danabryant;

This sounds to me as if your two machines have different font libraries… This is a common scenario caused by different programs loading different variations of the font files to the font library…

As a consequence, my guess is that the "new import" is using the best alternative it can find.

Did you use a special font? Check to ensure that the font you did use in your "old" copy on your "old" machine is available on your "new" machine. If it’s not, just copy the font file to a flash-drive, and import it into the "new" machine…

That should do the trick…

Good luck;

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 10, 2008 1:52am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks for the advice, Lee. I am still at a crossroads though. I can’t get the font to paste to the flash drive. I can copy it but the paste command is grayed out. This is very frustrating when I worked hard to get this book together and can’t even upload it. "Old" computer is running XP and newer laptop (that won’t allow upload) is Vista. I feel like the referee among siblings…no win for me. Thanks for your help.

db

Posted by
danabryant
Jul 10, 2008 11:59am PDT
danabryant

Hi db;

You probably need to be logged on as Administrator in Vista to import files. Try that… there’s no other reason why a simple font file won’t copy to the font library…

Did you try just dragging the file from the flash-drive to the library using Windows Explorer?

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 10, 2008 1:28pm PDT
lkb-28

My problem was not installing; my problem was getting the fonts I wanted on the flash drive. Tech support suggested I try dragging to the desktop then saving & it worked. It seems to be a glitch when you can drag/copy/paste and can’t just copy/paste from the folder. ??? Now I am back to my original problem. I can’t upload from either computer. I tried disabling anti-virus software, etc. but still can’t get it to upload from either computer. Any suggestions?

db

Posted by
danabryant
Jul 10, 2008 8:45pm PDT
danabryant

Hello db;

Glad you got the font problem sorted…

What Error Message are you getting (if any) when you try to upload… A brief description of what is happening might help in resolving the problem!

Have you tried to upload using a different ISP? Did you "enable" BookSmart to allow it to talk to external connections when you installed… What about your Firewall? Is that stopping the connection?

Come on back if you need more, or can give us some better input…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 11, 2008 12:26am PDT
lkb-28

My error message is something like "hmmm, we’re having trouble uploading". No problems with BookSmart and obviously no problems logging in to this site. I have enableb/disabled all protection, worked with/without the firewall, changed titles, logged in with email & with user name, checked/unchecked remember me on password, changed computers, and no telling what else that I can’t remember. My family would love the book but I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it. The only thing you listed that I haven’t tried is using a different ISP. I guess it is worth a shot. Will let you know what happens. In the mean time, post any other ideas you may have. Thanks.

db

Posted by
danabryant
Jul 11, 2008 2:06pm PDT
danabryant

Connecting to blurb….

Posted by
tethor
Jul 11, 2008 4:43pm PDT
tethor

I could resolve my problem reading the FAQ (RTFM rules). I use Kaspersky and it blocks Booksmart.exe

Really easy to solve. Thanks a lot!

Posted by
tethor
Jul 11, 2008 4:45pm PDT
tethor

Hi There

Same problem as Simon!

Utterly, UTTERLY frustrating….

I am sick and tired of the "Uhmmm, ...: etc message – disabled and reinstalled everything but the problem remains!!!

Wish someone has an alternative

Posted by
iggers
Jul 12, 2008 10:37am PDT
iggers

SOLUTION TO THE UPLOAD PROBLEM…changed ISPs. This was quite an ordeal since I had to export/import and drive across town to another computer. I also had to edit the book because some changes saved seemed to be "undone" in the preview on the new computer. BookSmart shut down during a preview print and finally 2+ hours later I have an uploaded book & pending order. There has to be an easier way.

db

Posted by
danabryant
Jul 12, 2008 10:59am PDT
danabryant

Seems to be a common issue. 

I have an upload issue too, see http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/3321#posts-15071

I have a feeling that is my end though.

Trev

Posted by
trevk
Jul 12, 2008 12:15pm PDT
trevk

Yeah, easy to say "try another service provider" harf to easily do.

Wish I hadnt taken the effort to try this software.

Plenty other book sites on the net.

Posted by
snorks
Jul 22, 2008 6:44pm PDT
snorks

Hi all,

Customer Support is there to help with upload issues. They might recommend trying to upload from another location, but they’ll never tell you to cancel your ISP service and switch providers. Again, if you haven’t contacted them yet for the upload issue you are experiencing, please do so.

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jul 23, 2008 9:49am PDT
jbates

Hi peeps,

I too have the same problem, and message -

Hmmm we’re having problems uploading your book…0 Init.”

I’m running Apple’s Leopard and my OS firewall is allowing incoming messages yet still no luck. I emailed customer support but I’m still waiting. Is it something to do with my Netgear Router?

My Mac buddy (genius) reckons its nothing to do with our ISPs

Joy

Indy Fan

Posted by
indy.fan
Aug 4, 2008 6:50am PDT
indy.fan

Hi All,
I’m in the exact same boat, Hmmm we’re having problems uploading your book…0 Init every time. I tried disabling my macs firewall and the firewall on my router. Tried from a windows pc and another mac and the only thing that works is going somewhere else and using another isp. I’m not switching isp, I have a contract with them,
If someone does find a solution please let me know, meanwhile I’m going to look for another book supplier.
All other software I have can connect, upload and download just fine.

Steo.

Posted by
kingstog
Sep 7, 2008 3:14pm PDT
kingstog

Hi all,

Netgear, eh? Interesting… Steo, are you also using a Netgear router? 

Does bypassing the router and plugging directly into your modem resolve the issue?

Don’t leave Blurb over this; we’ll help you get your books uploaded no matter what!

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Sep 8, 2008 10:12am PDT
jbates

Guys, i couldn’t upload my book (it said "unexpected file pb bla bla bla")
I did try to turn my Windows firewall off but stil… 

I use kaspersky and Booksmart was blocked.
unblock it. now it works.

Enjoy

Jr

Posted by
jr-inc
Sep 8, 2008 12:40pm PDT
jr-inc

Hi Jeremy, I’ve tried a Netgear and a Belkin router as well as just the modem. I would really like to find a solution to this as I love the books I’ve gotten from Blurb so far but I’m not going to wait around either. I wish Blurb would provide another way to upload books, ftp would be great!

Steo.

Posted by
kingstog
Sep 8, 2008 3:20pm PDT
kingstog

Hello,

I have been diagnosing this exact issue with Blurb and my ISP over the last 3 weeks.  I had tried all recommendations from these forums and contacting Blurb directly.

I am a pretty technical IT guy, and was determined to make Booksmart function the way it should. I won’t go into details, but I ran up a packet capture program on the PC Booksmart was installed on to see what was happening on the wire during an upload failure.

I came to the conclusion that my ISP’s transparent proxy was at fault (seeing proxy MISS HTTP replyies in logs), I contacted the ISP and very specifically asked them to;

"Please add uploads.blurb.com to the proxy exclusion list to ensure traffic from this site is not proxied by <insert ISP> transparent proxy infrastructure. Booksmart uses HTTP as its upload mechanism and transparent proxies will prevent uplods from working correctly."

Giving  this to my (language challenged) ISP resulted in a reply a few days later, indicating tha the exclusion had been added to the proxy. Booksmart now works.

From my perspective any application that uses HTTP for this type of functionality is asking for trouble, and I personally would not architect an application in this way.

Anyway, I hope my solution helps someone. At the least, all of you who have tried everything else can try this. Changing ISP’s is not something I would recommend either, unless you can be certain that the new ISP has no transparent proxy either.

Posted by
Lukie
Mar 23, 2009 1:03am PDT
Lukie

Hi Lukie,

This post is awesome. Thank you, not only for taking the time to troubleshoot this issue, but also for sharing the solution here. We’re going to act on this tip right away and see how broadly applicable the proxy exclusion fix is :-) Nice job!

Forum folks, feel free to chime in if this fix solved your specific upload problem. If so, what was the upload error message you were getting before solving the problem via this method? Cheers!

Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Mar 23, 2009 8:31am PDT
jbates

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I hope my post helps.

I did miss a tiny bit of information… The exclusion needs to be for port 80 (most ISPs will assume this anyway). However the exclusion should look like.

uploads.blurb.com:80

This might vary depending on the ISP’s solution, but it’s the most technically correct way of specifiying the exclusion. 

Posted by
Lukie
Mar 23, 2009 12:43pm PDT
Lukie

I’ve had the same problem for the last 2 days. I was uploading on a wireless laptop. As soon as I plugged in my ethernet cable to my modem and laptop it was successful. I almost pulled my hair out trying to figure it out. Hope this is the simple solution for everyone.

Posted by
Summer44
Mar 27, 2009 5:45pm PDT
Summer44

Does it ever occur to anyone that when they institue new requirements—a notice should go at the beginning of something. When downloading PDFs wouldn’t it be nice if everyone knew they have to install a flash drive 10 before filling out all the info? AND WOULDN’T IT BE NICE IF THERE WERE A CHECK BOX NEXT TO THE FLASH DRIVE 10 REQUIREMENT THAT SAID: YES I DID? so that one could then upload the PDF and not be stymied by something already done. THINK PEOPLE THINK!

Posted by
conwoo
Aug 20, 2009 5:47pm PDT
conwoo

I just installed BookSmart to my new laptop today and created a book. I receive the following error when I try to  upload "Unexpected end of file from server". Any suggestions?

Posted by
BrBerger
Aug 21, 2009 4:31pm PDT
BrBerger

If you had read the other posts in this thread you would have seen a number of suggestions as to possible causes and workarounds, including one from Jeremy (jbates) that provides a link for further help on this.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 21, 2009 11:13pm PDT
tfrankland

Hi,

Can someone please let me know where the font library is? I downloaded a new font from the internet and would like to use it in smartbook but I cant seem to figure out how to add new fonts.

Many thanks.!!

Posted by
kambokiller
Sep 6, 2009 8:13am PDT
kambokiller

I’ve asked Blurb Support this question, but I’ve uploaded my book and everything is probably fine, but just in case:

I am working on a large photo book that is about 168 pages. There are about 13 images that are always in “Loading…” mode. I’ve resized them a number of times to the point that they are about 150 and way under the pixel parameters. I can see all except for maybe two in preview mode. And I have seen them all in preview mode. So, I uploaded the book regardless of them all showing up in thumbnail mode. Do you think that the book will be fine or does their perpetual “Loading…” mean they won’t make it to Blurb and therefore not come out when the book is actually published?

Posted by
Lips
Sep 17, 2009 4:00pm PDT
Lips

I just want to provide what became a resolution to my problem. It was provided by Jay of Blurb not too long after I posted it. Where there is information about photos as with dpi and the like, they are not in the same place, which is a problem if you are only considering one or a few variables.

The variables are:

1. JPEG/PNG files only.
2. 8-bit
3. Non-interlaced.
4. RGB (not CMYK or Grayscale)
5. 150-300 dpi
6. Out-of-camera JPEGS are OK. They do not need to be resized unless multiple on single page.
7. Images no larger than 15MB.
8. Less than 4000 pixels in any direction.

I was having trouble with grayscale and 16-bit images.

Posted by
Lips
Sep 18, 2009 6:42pm PDT
Lips

Does anyone know exactly how to place a vector image into InDesign from CS3 Illustrator and still get transparency? I am a pro-designer of many years and have always used tif for photoshop files and eps for vector to place properly into my layout programs including InDesign. I got my first book uploaded using Blurb’s new InDesign templates and got messages back that my resolution was too low. I scanned in at 300 dpi as I always have done for years and using eps for my vectors to place text or vectors created in ai over my placed photoshop tifs. I am now having to spend hours reading the faq’s which keep referring to BookSmart as the delivery system. Why do they keep referring to using that program only when designing these books? I need more specifics for these types of questions. The download they give you with the template only answers part of the questions. If they are going to deviate to offer professional designers use of their service, then they do need to be more specific in file prep.

Posted by
jerimcdonald
Dec 9, 2009 1:49pm PDT
jerimcdonald

Hi jerimcdonald,

Please check your email for some specific info I just sent you pertaining to this problem with the PDF to Book workflow.

Because this thread is getting quite long I will be locking it from future posts. For those of you with upload problems with either BookSmart or PDF to Book please contact us and we’ll help you out.

-C

Posted by
csm
Dec 9, 2009 4:48pm PDT
csm Icon_staff