BookSmart

tiffs to jpgs to be able to load?

I have 2 sets of photos, jpgs and tiffs. The jpgs loaded but the tiffs didn’t. Photoshop won’t allow me to save the tiff as a jpg. Any suggestions on how to get the tiffs into jpgs to be able to use them?

Thanks!
Sharon

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
sho
Jul 2, 2008 7:32am PDT
sho

Sharon, I am surprised that Photoshop is not allowing you to save the file as a jpg. Even using "Save As?" I have done this many times. Maybe someone has other ideas on that problem…. in the meantime, I have even used Paint, the simplest program ever, to save tiffs as jpgs since my scanner only outputs in tiff. I have never had a problem with Paint doing the conversion, either. Maybe that’s worth a shot. :)

Teri

Posted by
hooloovoos
Jul 2, 2008 8:55am PDT
hooloovoos

Hi Sharon,

You are right in that BookSMart doesn’t like TIFFS, it is only happy with JPEGs and PNGs.

So why won’t Photoshop let you save the TIFFS as JPEGs? My guess is that the TIFFs are 16 bit per colour channel and you cannot have 16bit JPEGs. Not quite sure which version of Photoshop you have but with mine (CS) you can check the bit-depth and convert from 16 to 8 in the Image…..Mode menu.

Once you have converted to 8-bit you’ll see JPEG as an option in the Save As menu.

If that isn’t the case come back and we’ll see if anybody else has any ideas.

.....Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 2, 2008 8:58am PDT
tfrankland

I have transferred a tiff to a JPEG on my AppleMac, fine, but on screen mentions – embedded colour profile doesn’t match the RGB working space, it says embedded profile will be used instead of working space.  Can I still use these images for my blurb book as well as straightforward images which are JPEGs.

Many thanks  John M

Posted by
eileen987
Jul 9, 2008 1:10pm PDT
eileen987

Hi John,

On the JPG "save as" dialogue box in Photoshop, you can check to see if the color profile is sRGB (as shown below). If it ISN’T, you’ll want to uncheck the box next to it, so you won’t embed a different profile.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jul 9, 2008 1:45pm PDT
jbates