BookSmart

book size versus page size

If the book size is 10” x 8”, why is the full-bleed page size smaller on the horizontal, at 9.61” ?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
imagemaster1
Jul 10, 2008 9:17pm PDT
imagemaster1

If you look at any hardback book in a bookstore or on the sjelves you will see that the pages are very slightly smaller than the cover. Blurb books are no different, it is the cover that is 10" x 8".

The cover of a softback Blurb book will be trimmed to match the pages. It would messy to have different page sizes for hardback versus softback.

.......Tony

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 11, 2008 1:44am PDT
tfrankland

Hello imagemaster1;

Tony’s comment – that the Blurb book sizes are the external (hard) cover sizes – is right in theory! See below…

On the face of it the comment doesn’t stack-up, because the same template also has a vertical dimension of 8.2" – so, in theory – GREATER than the page size!

The BookSmart template information is frequently a little mis-leading, and something I had tried to get my mind around a number of times, until I discovered that my test 10×8 landscape in fact had an external dimension of 10×8.4 and my test 13×11 landscape turned out to be 13×11.2 !!!!!

There are many threads in the forum about the subject of template information being inconsistent, and I suspect that Blurb are still working to "get-it-right"!

What I do when I load up my images, is to ensure that there is NOTHING of any importance anywhere near the edges – especially the inside binding edge… Sometimes that’s a little harder than it seems – specially if you have a tightly cropped image in the first place, but, in general I always try to leave some lee-way when I’m shooting…

Best means of ensuring WYSIWYG is to "Preview" your book pages… (button bottom right of the Edit workspace)...

Hope that helps…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 11, 2008 4:04am PDT
lkb-28

Tony, I understand that, but if I were to follow your explanation, the size for the vertical full-page bleed should be less than 8” ,and not 8.24” as shown on this site.

Tony

Posted by
imagemaster1
Jul 11, 2008 7:18am PDT
imagemaster1

Lee, thanks for that explanation.

I don’t know why Blurb can’t simply explain why the full-bleed size is smaller for the horizontal, yet larger for the vertical.

Tony

Posted by
imagemaster1
Jul 11, 2008 7:22am PDT
imagemaster1

And to add to the size confusion:

I produced a image wrap, dust cover, and soft cover book all from the same file at the same time. The books received were all a different size. The dust cover version was 10” X 8 1/4”. The image wrap was 9 7/8” X 8 1/4” . The biggest difference was with the soft cover – 9 1/2” X 8”. Needless to say, there was image loss.

Jack

Posted by
Jackc
Jul 11, 2008 8:10am PDT
Jackc

Well, I got that wrong didn’t I?

Sorry.

........Tony

p.s. the bit about the pages being smaller than the cover for a hardback was right :-)

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 11, 2008 10:25am PDT
tfrankland

I have a question: The size of the book that I almost done is a Big landskape. But I can only fit a less than a dozen centences on the page.The templates that gives you a big photo and one line of description  – that line is son narrow barely can feet one line in a farely small print.

Also have the warning of a yeallow triangle sometimes when I have still plenty of space around of my writing empty. On preview it looks OK, so hope it will be like that when I get my book.

It’s a Birthday present for my hubby, about his career as a musician. 

Also extremely surprise that the soaftweare does not include a spell check, at least the red underliner. English is my second so it would be easier to see the error. I had to write first on MO and then transfer to a book.

Also when reagarranging pages some pages especially if written dont move.

I already asked in another forum if anyone know how to delete empty pages inside of the book. There is a sign how to add, but could not figure out how to substract.

Thanks everyone.

Happy Booking.

Posted by
igemini48
Feb 14, 2012 12:39am PDT
igemini48

Sometime the yellow triangle appears if you have empty carriage returns after your text. Put your cursor after the last character in your visible text, then use the arrow keys to see if there are blank spaces after it. If so, delete them.

Edit > Check Spelling>

To delete a page, select it in the row of thumbnails at the bottom of the window and press the delete key.

Posted by
jshook
Feb 16, 2012 8:25am PDT
jshook