BookSmart

Image Size

I posted this in error in general topics earlier so am reposting it here.

I have searched the forums but still confused on the whole image size, dpi, thing.  I am very new to photography so please bear with me if this is a "dumb" question. When I click on "get photos"  and get my photos from my files, the photos appear in the folder on the left. If I drag the cursor over them, most show a size of 3264/2448 while a few show sizes of 7617/5713, 5642/4238, 5208/2798 etc. The larger ones are two or more photos combined in Corel Draw and exported to file as a jpeg. When I drag and drop these images to the pages (using pages with boxes, no full bleed) they look fine after I use the zoom/crop tool to get them to fit the boxes. Does this mean that the zoom/crop tool has reduced the image size/dpi etc., appropriately so that it will print ok when it is sent to the printer at Book Smart? I have printed a few pages and they look fine but am worried about the BookSmart instructions regarding maximum image size. Thanks for your help.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
waltn1
Aug 23, 2007 11:10am PDT
waltn1

Hey – Those dimensions you list are the exact pixel by pixel dimensions of each file you’ve imported. That’s not exactly the same as dpi (dots per inch). It’s a confusing relationship thing that I don’t entirely understand either. Ideal dpi for your book is 300 and anything less is going to be fuzzy, that I do know.

I don’t use Corel Draw, but, in Photoshop, you can check your dpi under "image size". It will also show your pixel by pixel dimensions.

The one rule I also know for sure is that you cannot increase dpi or pixel size without losing some clarity. The only way to "correct" a resolution issue is to re-scan your image at the proper resolution (or higher).

As for Booksmart and what it does to images when you drag & drop ‘em, I do believe it does size them to an "ideal size" for the container. Mine would often be too big for the page and I’d have to decrease them which ended up having no effect on the resolution, but, the same rule applies here that I mentioned above… if you try to increase the image’s size, you might see the little warning triangle and not get the outcome you want (i.e. fuzziness). 

Did that help at all? I feel like I’m rambling. Anyway, like I said, some of its a mystery to me too, so, I hope others jump in. :)

Megan 

Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 23, 2007 11:58am PDT
redmeg8