BookSmart

Adding colorspace to JPEGs

I’m creating a book via InDesign, then exporting the pages as JPEG images. The original TIFF images are AdobeRGB profile colorspace. Blurb’s Indigo printer usually prefers sRGB, if I remember correctly.

I’ve discovered the JPEG images I exported are untagged. Can the Indigo Press deal with this properly (especially since they are B&W images), or do I need to open the images in Photoshop and assign them sRGB profiles? That’s about 160+ images.

Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
nemophoto
Jul 15, 2008 9:12am PDT
nemophoto

Sorry I’m not answering your question, but if you have much text on your pages you should read this thread…..   http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/3082

..........TOny

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 15, 2008 9:58am PDT
tfrankland

Hi nemophoto,

Please note, exporting JPGs from InDesign is not a good idea if you have text (if you’re just working with images, however, it is fine). If you have text, it is much better to export as a PDF, open in Photoshop as 300DPI RGB color file (with anti-aliasing checked) and save as PNGs.

I think the easiest way to change the colorspace of all your images would be to adjust your color settings within InDesign. Before you open your document, make sure your working space is sRGB, and under RGB color management policies, select Convert to Working Space. Then open up the document and it should convert the colorspace.

Also, when exporting your PDF from InDesign, under Output, you can choose "Convert to Destination" under the Color Conversion field, and choose an sRGB profile as the Destination.

I am not sure which of those options (Color Settings vs. PDF Export Setting) is more thorough, or if you should use both of them. Maybe another forum member can chime in. You can also consult InDesign’s help section and google the question for more information.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jul 15, 2008 10:13am PDT
jbates