BookSmart

Locked Exporting the Photos stored in book...deleted my originals.

Hey everyone, sorry to bug you but is there any way I can export the pictures used in the book especially after I deleted them. I exported that book and it took a while, im guessing the photos are in there but I dont know how to open that file. its a ”.book”. Thanks again.

Posted by
Interstellar
Jul 28, 2008 9:05pm PDT
Interstellar

I’m not sure whether you are wanting to export them to save space in your book or to make use of them in another application. I’ll start by tackling the first of those alternatives.

The photos themselves are not in the .Book file they are in (if you have Windows)My Documents/BookSmartData/yourbookname/Library, you’ll see them them with with wierd names and .original, .thumb, .zoom and .screen suffices. These are the copies that BookSmart took when you did the import.

If you deleted the photos from the My Imported Photos list in BookSmart they will be totally deleted from that directory. There is no need to "tidy up" yourself. If you just deleted them from the pages themselves you’ll need to tidy up and delete them from My Imported Photos as well. You can tell which ones are still used in  pages of your book as they have tick in the corner of the thumbnail.

So once deleted there is no way to export them to use them elsewhere.

The files in the LIbrary Directory with the .original suffix are copies of your original files and you could export/copy those and use them elsewhere, but if you’ve lots of photos it’d take forever to try and work how to match those wierd names to your original file names. Despite the .original file type they are JPEGs and you can safely rename your exported copies to .jpg. But don’t try and rename yhem in the library file BookSmart would get really upset :-)

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 29, 2008 1:06am PDT
tfrankland

Hello Michael;

With the greatest of respect to Tony, I’m not at all sure that he hasn’t struck-off on a bit of a tangent here…

Provided you did "Export" your book using the inbuild facility within BookSmart, then the ".book" file that results WILL have everything embedded in it, including the library of images… That ".book" file confusingly is NOT the same as the ".book" file that is your regular "work-in-progress" file while you’re building the book…

So, to recover your position, you need to start by "Import"ing the "Exported" book back into BookSmart, and that will re-build the library of images, under a "Library" folder in the "My Documents" string Tony notes above…

Once done, then you can copy all the ".original" files to a seperate folder, re-name them all using a batch facility in PhotoShop or ACDSee or similar to ".jpg" files, and re-name that horrendous long name that BookSmart attached to them. (You can also simply "assign" the ".original" extension to PhotoShop (or whatever you use) as a designated JPEG file if you want…

So, hopefully, between us, we’ve covered the bases…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 29, 2008 2:38am PDT
lkb-28

OOPS!

I think you are right Lee, now I’ve re-read it I do seem to have misunderstood the question

Sorry Michael   :-(

.....Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 29, 2008 3:12am PDT
tfrankland

Thank you guys soo much, well you both broadened my understanding of book smart, and I greatly thank you guys for that. Actually the imported pictures were fine and the book was great, I just wanted to take the files that I imported from originally and use them, but as I said earlier, I deleted them and thats why I wanted them. Thank you guys soo much, you guys solved my problem.

Posted by
Interstellar
Jul 29, 2008 3:56pm PDT
Interstellar

Can you tell me how to find the photo library from my .book on a Mac? I’d like to use the photo set for other projects.

Posted by
mbullard
Feb 24, 2009 3:19pm PDT
mbullard

Yes, please, This is simply not working.

Posted by
myrman
Feb 21, 2011 2:43am PDT
myrman

Hi myrman,

Please contact us at customer support for assistance, and be sure to state exactly what the problem is.

As this is an old thread I’m going to lock it to keep things current.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Feb 22, 2011 9:13am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff