BookSmart

Locked Test drive the newest version of BookSmart

As is our custom, we’re letting our Forums community know about the latest version of BookSmart before we announce it to the public. So, here you go – our latest version of BookSmart is ready to download and we want you to put it to work.

We’ve added some text features, an entirely new set of border designs and illustrations, and fine-tuned BookSmart here and there for a faster, more stable performance.

Here’s a quick look at some of our new BookSmart features:
- Custom styles – You can now define and apply text styles to large bodies of text at once
- Text tool enhancements – Now with text justification and vertical alignment
- Flexible page numbering – Start numbering pages from any page in a book
- Page locking – Lock page orientation on the right, left, or to another page
- Improved file library management – Move and copy your file library to a new location and remove unused images to save disk space

We’ve also fixed a few bugs, including:
- Spellcheck – Now works on entire book in a single pass
- Page layout tab – No longer gets progressively smaller on reopening BookSmart
- iPhoto ’08 – All albums should now show in the dropdown
- Text flow – Text should no longer be lost when switching between different text layouts
- TypePad – This blog slurper is back in action. Slurps everything but comments.

So, please download BookSmart and let us know what you think. Before you upgrade, be sure to backup your existing BookSmart files first. Here’s how to do it.

Your feedback could help us discover major problems that we’ll want to fix before the official release.

– The Blurberati

Posted by
kathybad
Aug 20, 2008 4:30pm PDT
kathybad

I would certainly be interested in test driving this latest version, but I am not quite certain where I need to go to download it. Do I just use the usual download area or is there somewhere else for this trial version?

Thanks

Janys 

Posted by
printmania
Aug 21, 2008 12:20am PDT
printmania

Hi Janys!

If you use the Download BookSmart on this page (under the HELP heading on the RHS) you get 1.9.6.

It’s downloading for me now.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 21, 2008 12:45am PDT
tfrankland

Kathy, my first impressions…..

1. The Page Lock Options, that allow you to lock two page spreads, is GREAT!    In the past when I’ve pasted from Word and let BookSmart insert duplicate pages as it flowed the text it’s mucked up my two page spreads on more than one occasion. So thanks for this feature!
  2. Now the bad news. I opened my most recent book in the new version (don’t worry I backed up first!) and just about every text page has lost the bottom half of the text in the last line and the warning sign shows. It’s as if those text boxes are all 3mm shorter.

I also have a problem with text boxes alongside photographs. Where I have used these as a caption I had inserted blank lines at the top to put the caption at the bottom of the text box. In this case 3 or 4 lines of text have been lost and the warning signs (rightly) shows. I can recover those by deleting blank lines at the top, but that would be a lot of work all through the book.
  3. I like the new alignment tools. Especially the vertical alignment of text. That should suit the way I do captions as noted above. BUT it doesn’t work. The Align Top is fine; the Align Center does nothing; the Align Bottom centres the text.
  4. Having used the vertical alignment of text, which applies to all the text in the text box, I expected the horizontal alignment to work the same way, but it doesn’t. It only aligns the paragraph that the cursor is in. To align all the text in the box youu have to select all the text in the box. It is that inconsistancy between vertical and horizontal alignment that is off putting, I’m not saying that there are any problems with the horizontal alignment facility.

It has convinced me though that I dont like text aligned to both edges. I know that lots of people have asked for this but it may look good from a distance but I find it harder to read a lot of text formatted this way. It is fine when the kearning is adjusted to spread the text, but not when blank characters are added to do so, but nobody seems to use kearning any more.
  5. I like the new pagination feature, it worked fine.
  6. Custom styles – You can now define and apply text styles to large bodies of text at once. Maybe, but I can’t see how to do this despite 10 minutes of hunting through all the menus and themes.

I’ll carry on having a play and I’ll report back. But my initial reaction is I’d use it for a new book but I can’t afford the time to correct all the text problems reported in 2 above that have been introduced to my existing book.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 21, 2008 1:38am PDT
tfrankland

Kathy,

You need to fix your wesite as well. When I composed the above (I did not import from Word) I numbered the paragraphs using the tool at the top of the box, when I posted all the numbering disappeared! The indenting stayed as you can see.

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 21, 2008 1:41am PDT
tfrankland

Kathy;

At last the long anticipated new release… GREAT excitement :-)

Downloaded…

HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT :-(

First & foremost – this new release is already on your web site – so the preamble about community members getting first dibs is somewhat misleading…

And, it’s a little foolish I would have though to make the new release generally available BEFORE you’ve had the chance to give it a good ride out!

Secondly; it’s a FUNDAMENTAL principle of software design that old bugs are fixed first way ahead of introducing new functionality. The main reason being that new functionality itself creates it’s own problems…

Different folks will have differing priorities; and I accept that you can’t be all things to all men all the time. My priority is image handling – not text, so I’m less excited about the text functions – but I know that a lot of users have been clamoring for it…

So; of REAL IMPORTANCE – the "Align Tools" STILL DON’T WORK !!!!  Importing a small image into a large container still results in a stretched image! See Incident 080603-000147…

NEW BUG : When I select an image icon in the Imported Photos pane I can no longer see the file detail. Beforehand a small info window popped up with the original filename, and image sizes. This is now gone! So now (with this & the "Align" bug, it makes accurate image sizing within a BookSmart container IMPOSSIBLE… (And also makes reviewing similar imaging impossible. For example I have BOTH large & small varieties of an image; I can no longer determine which is which…)

As for new text functionality; on first pass…

I can’t get certain new functions to work, AND, you’ve introduced yet another new bug on the Page View zoom-slider!!!

Select a text box; window zooms to HUGE (why don’t you fix this so that the zoom is user controlled ??????? It’s sooooo annoying…). Apply text, and click outside text container, and window stays zoomed, but zoom-slider now shows at minimum !!! To correct, you need to click the zoom-slider to INCREASE to enable the window to DECREASE !!!

As far as "apply & define text to large areas" I was able to select text over multiple containers on ONE page, but NOT multiple pages… BUT… if I slipped the mouse into a text container with NO text, then all the highlighted text is ignored, and simply the NEW text container becomes active!

As Tony has reported above; I also have problems with text containers in existing books with all text entries now showing various warning signs. This is mainly down shifted or "align-shifted" text in Edit mode, (so it’s now OUT of the container) although it shows OK in Preview mode !!!

Like Tony,  I will carry on playing later today; but I’m VERY dissapointed at the moment!

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 21, 2008 2:38am PDT
lkb-28

Hi Tony;

Your comment about numbering paras on posts… how ODD !

A review of the post at http://forums.blurb.com/posts shows NO numbers.. BUT, they are showing up in the "live" thread here…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 21, 2008 2:44am PDT
lkb-28

TWO NEW BUGS;

1. Importing PNG files now results in a fine black border line being applied to the outline of the whole image, so the "transparency" effect is null & void!  Tested in two other applications; and NO border is applied…

2. When using "Get Photos" from "My Computer" BookSmart no longer displays the actual thumbnail in the surf window – only an icon of the JPEG file, so now I can’t see what images I want to import !!!

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 21, 2008 3:18am PDT
lkb-28

Lee, I can’t see those numbers in this live thread! Doubly odd!!

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 21, 2008 4:01am PDT
tfrankland

I can confirm the loss of information when you hover your mouse over a thumbnail of the photo in the Imported Photos pane. This makes the product unusable for my current book where I am doing an index of thumbnails for my photos. I can’t tell which is my thumbnail and which is my full size photo.

Another two problems with Get Photos (I’m a Windows user).

When the Get Pictures dialogue pops up and I choose My Computer (to navigate to my external hard drive) there are no files, directories or drives showing.

Then the pop up box is not big enough. On the left you get icons for Recent, Desktop, My Documents, My Computer, then one that is chopped in half by the bottom of the box and there is no scroll bar to let me see that or any others in the list.

The zooming was bad before (there are a lot of posts on this and it was included by a few people in the suggestions for next release post I did a while back.

Instead of improving it you have made it worse after you enter/change text (as described Lee above, I have the same problem).There is no choice but to work with Auto Zoom switched off.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 21, 2008 4:24am PDT
tfrankland

Kathy,

I worked in the IT industry for 39 years before I retired. For 13 of those years I managed application development teams so I understand the processes involved.

If this was a product of one of my teams I would withdraw it from use immediately and revert to the previous version. Then have a long hard talk with my the group of users that did the user testing on a set of real books – new ones and modifying a selection of existing ones (Not your development team, though they shouldn’t have let these slip through either).

You really should have released this to only the forum members for some trials before you made it available on the home page.

Sorry to say that, but this release is just not up to your normal standard.

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 21, 2008 4:35am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Kathy;

I’m sorry to say – that I agree with Tony 100%... 1.9.6 should be WITHDRAWN immediately !

I’ve just been trying to play with the new text handling, and, if anything, it’s FAR WORSE than 1.9.5 ever was…

A great deal of the problem seems to stem from the "mouse selection" not functioning correctly… E.g. I finally succeeded in getting the mouse to select (highlight) text over more than the one page, but, on page 2, it will only select the first 1/4 of the page, and then, if the mouse moves at all, the very first part of the highlighted text on page 1 is lost !!!

Now, my mouse won’t even highlight all selected text…

Next; the "justification" tools don’t appear to recognise what mode parts of text are in. If I clcik on the middle of some "fully justified" text, and then click the Align Tool, it ALWAYS shows Left Aligned…

It’s DIRE !!!

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 21, 2008 5:41am PDT
lkb-28

I would first of all like to comment on the text highlighting in the page title bars which is very slow, and then when I have overwritten the existing (and unwanted) text, it would seem in edit mode that I have accomplished the task….....but  then  in preview mode, I discover that the original text is still visible alongside the new text.

What Tony experienced in his point 2, was also my experience. Suddenly the warning signs came up where I had previously managed to remove the cause with text boxes.

I had the same problem already mentioned by Lee with importing new image files as they only showed up as icons and I was unable to preview the images I wanted. 

I did not particularly like the new colour picking box…. I strongly feel  that  both RGB and hex colour codes should be included as those used to web design frequently interchange these two colour picking methods. 

I most definitely did not notice the "speeding up" that was mentioned  "for a faster, more stable performance"in fact if anything, I found this to be slower than the previous version.

I found it impossible to add pages at the end of the book, and had to add them several pages further in and then shunt them along to where I wanted them. This might have been the case with the previous version also, but I had not attempted it there.

I like:

I can preview just a zoomed section of a page, and move through all the pages in the same position. Useful for checking that page numbers/titles are uniform and correct.

Will do some more testing along the lines that Lee and Tony have done to see whether I have the same problems.

Janys

Posted by
printmania
Aug 21, 2008 8:01am PDT
printmania

I have just checked out the facing page locking and the change text over multiple pages.

First and foremost I created myself some 30 or so paragraphs of "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" and plumped out about 4 text pages with it. I then used the CTRL A command to select all – starting in the first of the pages where I had inserted content….... and the selection crossed all the pages I had filled in locked or unlocked mode highlighting all text. I was then able to make all the formatting changes I wanted with regard to line spacing, text colour, font type etc. and the changes were carried across all the pages. No problem here. But using the mouse to select and highlight was laborious and inconsistent. Using the CTRL A on the keyboard, everything worked smoothly for me.

Janys

Posted by
printmania
Aug 21, 2008 8:21am PDT
printmania

I would LOVE to be able to edit my own posts by the way…......!

Posted by
printmania
Aug 21, 2008 8:22am PDT
printmania

Further comments on new release;

Using "Open Existing Book" from the "welcome page" does not display the  book size or image until clicked. It shows 0 MB and no cover-image, which is a little worrying first off…

1.9.6 does not remember that Auto-Zoom is turned off [although I’m honestly unsure if 1.9.5 ever did either…]

You can ONLY Autoflow ALL images if NO images are selected… BUT, the only way to "unselect" an image is to click in the white space around the "Imported Photos" pane… This seems somewhat "clunky" to me and is far from obvious… So, recommendation – clicking again on an image should unselect it…

The template icons now default to a three-abreast display (was two), which has had the effect of losing some of the workspace… but…

The "window-pane bar" between the icons/images and workspace is now locked into place (even though it generates the "move" arrows when the curser is hovvered over the bar), so you can no longer maximise the workspace without closing down the "Content Library" and the "Page Layout" bin.

Re-opening either of "Content Library" or "Page Layout" now automatically re-opns BOTH !

Conversely, it would be nice to have a "close all" option (templates, images, navigator) for a quick enlargement of the edit workspace…

Closing and re-opening the "Page Navigator" now variously zooms the page-thumbnails from MINUTE and unreadable dots to somewhere much larger than they were… Equally the "window-pane bar" moves at will up or down the screen on doing so…

This probably never registered before, but I’ve just noticed that NONE of the pop-up windows for Themes, Backgrounds, Ornaments or Borders has a "Close-Window" option… the ONLY way to close the window is to select an element or (if not required) to click outside the window…

There are still no Rulers or Guidelines available to make placing imagery any easier. (Bear in mind my prior comments about "Align Tools" not working and "Missing thumbnail info"). All this makes life VERY difficult for experienced, let alone new, users !

Selecting a NEW text colour (away from the default black) does NOT result in that new colour being displayed in the ToolBar window for colours… User needs to click again on the colour icon to re-select the NEW colour from the "Recent" options… It does though show up when typing text – which is confusing !!!

BookSmart STILL does NOT remember what Text/Font setting are being used when moving between one container and another… Immediately you move away from a working text container and click on another BookSmart defaults back to Georgia 8 point… - this is just MADDENING !

Regrettably; I’m giving up at this time… As it is, BookSmart 1.9.6 is unusable for me…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 21, 2008 8:29am PDT
lkb-28

Hi Tony, Lee & friends,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I think you’ve just given me my to-do list for the rest of the week! I’ll be pouring through your entries, trying to replicate these issues in-house, and sending the results to our programmers as quickly as possible. 

Please hang in there; a patch for the stickiest of these problems is already close to being released. More info will be posted in this forum as soon as it becomes available.

Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Aug 21, 2008 9:28am PDT
jbates

When i saw this locked post i almost didn’t believe my eyes… a new version woo-hoo!!!

so excited about cool new features:  possibly rulers/guidelines to place images correctly so they wont get cut off, the much discussed insert your own photo as a background, new templates, flexible templates, fixing of the align tools, user controlled zoom, favorite templates and text styles… what happened to these??

but alas… none of these things I have read about on the forums seems to come with the new release… in fact MORE PROBLEMS seem to have come with it! I agree with Lee that most of the books are PHOTO books yet all the "improvements" are text related.. not very exciting.

I haven’t downloaded the new one yet, and I don’t think I will until I’ve read some good things.

hopefully this will all be worked out soon!  

Posted by
babiigirl11x
Aug 21, 2008 10:49am PDT
babiigirl11x

Hello Jeremy;

With the greatest of respect to you & all the Blurb team; there is NOTHING in these posts (concerning problems) that should not have picked up BEFORE release!

It’s just a very poor & disappointing show!

Meanwhile, why on earth did you make 1.9.6 publicly available ?????

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 21, 2008 10:53am PDT
lkb-28

AW MAN! I am not happy either. While I do not have all the problems above, I am awaiting them. All I have noticed is that I have a lot of yellow shield signs with red exclamation points that I did not have before. Whatever is in this new release has made all my text blocks cut off and cause these errors.. I will have to go through and fix them manually I fear. I did not have these issues before. I wish I could go back.

Posted by
jjcartwright
Aug 21, 2008 11:59am PDT
jjcartwright

Howdy all,

I’m obviously a member of the Blurb staff and will of course try to be constructive in my answers. However, I’ll also be as frank as possible in acknowledging and attempting to address the issues raised in this thread (there are clearly some aspects of 1.9.6 that we need to address). Thank you to everyone who is contributing to this conversation.

Regarding the usability of 1.9.6 as a whole, I think time will tell. There was a flurry of fairly critical comments following the release of 1.9.5, and many of the concerns were addresed either by Blurb learning how to better explain new functionality—OR, in the case of bugs, by releasing a patch.

Just like last time, we’re planning to patch this edition, and I expect many of the matters raised here to be improved in that patch. We put this edition of BookSmart through rounds and rounds of testing and quality assurance, and eventually pulled the trigger with a soft launch. 

Some of the issues raised here only occur under very specific circumstances, such as in books originally started in a certain older version of BookSmart. In other instances, our internal tests didn’t produce the results some of you are seeing, and some of that may be due to differences in system setups. We’re trying to replicate and correct any such bugs as quickly as possible.

And, yes, in some cases, we knew some features weren’t perfect when we released v1.9.6, but determined the overall author experience would be enhanced by the new software. Some folks clearly disagree with us on that, and for them, I hope the upcoming patch takes care of their main concerns. But the decision to release was carefully considered, and the goal of progress won out over perfection. 

Please stay tuned for updates as we work to patch this release. I expect that v1.9.6, like 1.9.5 before it, will prove to be a step forward (even if the first stair was a bit creaky).

Thanks again to all for your participation and patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Aug 21, 2008 5:43pm PDT
jbates

The only issue I had with the new version is a few overflow warnings due to a change in text box size.  Other than that, I’m really satisfied with my experience thus far.  I LOVE the new text related changes, especially full justification. 

I had a 120 page photobook saved in 1.9.5 and the conversion to 1.9.6 didn’t effect any of the photos or layouts.  Again, there were four pages that had overflow issues, but those were right on the edge of text box in 1.9.5 anyway.

The system runs fast and smooth on my machine at this time.

Posted by
Fight2Fly
Aug 21, 2008 6:45pm PDT
Fight2Fly

Jeremy,

Just a quick word in favour of BookSmart…...... I have never seen any version that has not been offered as beta so have always assumed that the software is a continual "work in progress" and should be considered as such.

Having accepted that, I feel that we users are part of the working team to suggest and test improvements. I assume that Blurb will not be working against itself in any changes it tries to introduce to the software and will find constructive criticism helpful in the snagging process….. But equally helpful will be comments which make them aware of what IS working well, and what new or changed features are appreciated by the users.

Did I read my role in all this correctly? It goes without saying that this does not require an answer….... I am just thinking aloud…. and now have to go feed the ducks that are screaming for breakfast under my lounge window.

Janys

Posted by
printmania
Aug 21, 2008 11:09pm PDT
printmania

No need to repeat all the complaints already posted here. All that remains is for me to BEG and PLEAD with you to PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT disable our ability to use BookSmart 1.9.5, as you did with pervious versions. If I could, I’d still be using version 1.8.x, which was fast, bug fee and did EVERYTHING we needed. Since you “fixed” what worked flawlessly in 1.8.x, 1.9.x is slow as molasses (BUT WORKS), and you already know 1.9.6 is ABSOLUTELY atrocious. Thanks for listening, I hope!!!

Posted by
Michal
Aug 22, 2008 12:18am PDT
Michal

Jeremy,

my comments on testing and the fitness of 1.9.6 for release were based on the fact that it was released to the general public (if not "announced" as Kathy indicated). If it had been released to forum members for a few days’ or a week’s testing before general release I wouldn’t have made any of those observations.

You would still have got the feedback on issues from the people above.

But it’s out now, I look forward to the patch and will give you feedback on that as well. But I’ll keep my views on user and customer testing for another occasion.

Thanks for your support, comments and prompt involvement in our findings. That is appreciated.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 22, 2008 12:19am PDT
tfrankland

Jeremy / Kathy et al;

In the cold light of dawn (and it IS cold for the time of year, and barely light !!!!), I would like to apologise if the tone of some of my postings above might be considered a little abrupt!

In my defence, much of it was bourne out of sheer frustration (on Blurb’s behalf as much as anything else) that after so much anticipation awaiting the new release, the expectation was just blown clear out of the water…

I sense that we will need to "agree to disagree" about how this launch (and potential future launches) should have been handled… You admit yourself that 1.9.5 caused that same initial flurry of activity… but you don’t appear to have learn a lesson from that!

Falling back on releasing a patch after the event is "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" !

From the word go, when I first encountered BookSmart about a year ago, I saw the HUGE potential that it had. Sure other PoD vendors software is more "solid" than BookSmart, but they have their downsides too, whereas the overall Blurb / BookSmart package led me to believe (and I still do) that Blurb "could" be the market leader… and I’ve said that consistently in the forums…

We all know that the vast majority of people who download a software package rarely go on to utilise it in the long run. If you convert 5% of downloaders to long-term users, you’re doing well… There are MANY reasons for that, but the single most avoidable reason is poor software performance – from what is after all, a software company. You’re NOT printers; you’re a software vendor that facilitates an interface to a print-shop…

I know – because I download and test MANY flavours of different software, and the greatest factor in my walking away from them is that I run into what I consider to be a silly problem or error, and that speaks volumes to me as a potential end-user… First impressions count for a GREAT deal…

I can’t help but think that there are many tens of thousands of lost prospects out there who have done precisely the same with BookSmart; and you will never know, because it never get’s reported!!!!!

Anyhow, I really DO thank-you for your support, and for the potential of the product… but I WILL continue to be critical if I believe it is justified; and I DO in this instance…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 22, 2008 1:25am PDT
lkb-28

UPDATE on the reported .PNG error…

Now determined to be a "sod’s law" glitch on one file that displays cleanly in other apps – but not BookSmart – however, on testing several other PNG files, all others imported cleanly to BookSmart…

Jeremy & co advised…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 22, 2008 3:34am PDT
lkb-28

Sorry Guys;

Another "bug" in 1.9.6… ???

I turn-OFF View - Content Library, Apply Page Layout & Page Navigator in Edit mode to maximise my Edit workspace…

Swith to "Preview" mode…

Switch back to "Edit" mode and Page Layout & Content Library bins are re-displayed – but NOT the Page Navigator !

As reported above; turning Page Navigator back ON, results in apparently missing page icons…  The window-pane bar needs to be moved up to display the icons again…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 22, 2008 7:36am PDT
lkb-28

I would like to test this out, but don’t quite know what it means

"- Page locking – Lock page orientation on the right, left, or to another page"

I thought this was the locking between facing pages as spreads, but on re-reading this, perhaps I have misunderstood completely.

Any clarification please?

Janys

Posted by
printmania
Aug 22, 2008 8:34am PDT
printmania

In reference to my previous post with regard to selecting text across multiple pages, I must now say that even though I am able to select text across multiple pages when the pages are full text pages only, I now see that I cannot select across multiple columns in the same page.

I have just tried this out on my table of contents page where I wanted to make font changes to the two columns. This was not possible.

Janys

Posted by
printmania
Aug 23, 2008 12:45am PDT
printmania

Just checked. Made my first Blurb book order on 14 October, 2006. Nearly two years ago. Since then I’ve made and ordered dozens of books, and I’m not even going to go into how many people have purchased the books I made, published by Blurb. I’ve been a HUGE fan of Blurb, singing its praises far and wide, tirelessly. All that came to a screeching halt with 1.9.5, the first, nearly unusable version of BookSmart. 1.9.6? You’d have to put a gun to my head before I’d consider using it, or recommending it.

Posted by
Michal
Aug 23, 2008 1:37am PDT
Michal

I can’t open the disk image of the Mac version of 1.9.6, the disk image mounter reports a failure to mount the disk image "codec overrun" – is the file corrupt?  I downloaded it twice and see the same problem each time.

Posted by
chrisbrightm
Aug 23, 2008 6:02am PDT
chrisbrightm

It is of very importance that Blurb fixes the upload function, or introduce a nother way of uploading – ftp would be the best solution for it. Many are complaining about uploading problems, as I did several times. Nothing Blurb suggested – windows security off, Kaspersky off, this and that off – didn’t work. So I took my laptop – EITH ALL SECURITIES ONN – went to a friend of mine and used his ISP, and everything went smoothly. I uploaded my book without any problem. The question is – how many times I can use my friends ISP? Blurb must find a way to allow all of us who can not upload their books using BookSmart, to use an alternative mean to get their books on Blurb server. At the moment, I think, Blurb is loosing many people to other online printers (Lulu, CreateSpace, MyPublisher…)

Vasil 

Posted by
avphotos
Aug 24, 2008 5:23pm PDT
avphotos

Any word on the patch, yet?  I’m getting really close to finalizing my current project and it would be nice to time that with an updated version to get rid of my warning flags regarding text overflow.  (That isn’t overflowing at all.)

Posted by
Fight2Fly
Aug 26, 2008 5:20pm PDT
Fight2Fly

Howdy,

It’s being "patched up" as efficiently as possible, but I don’t have any timeline info yet. This will be the first place that information is posted, however.

Also, from a customer support point of view (this is to Michal’s point above) v1.9.5  was the smoothest release to date. More people were creating more books with fewer problems. On PowerPC-based Macs, I understand that the older versions of BookSmart worked faster than v1.9.5. But in all fairness, BookSmart’s performance on one group of processors that are no longer being made for Macs isn’t a good benchmark. So yes, Michal has a point. However, it’s important to note that his critique doesn’t apply to PCs or Intel-based Macs, which is all Apple is making nowadays.

Thanks to all again and stay tuned :-)

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Aug 26, 2008 5:58pm PDT
jbates

“Michal has a point. However, it’s important to note that his critique doesn’t apply to PCs or Intel-based Macs”

Um, pardonne moi, but please slow down and take another peek at the crux of the problem. I’m on an Intel based Mac. Never used BookSmart on anything less.

Posted by
Michal
Aug 27, 2008 12:18am PDT
Michal

********** WARNING WARNING WARNING **********

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE "REMOVE UNUSED IMAGES" from the start-up screen on 1.9.6…

This results in the DELETION of all "active" images from the book and leaves ONLY the UNUSED images and blank icons of the previously used images…

See this thread where it was uncovered…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 27, 2008 5:51am PDT
lkb-28

Too late…............

:(

Posted by
printmania
Aug 27, 2008 9:25am PDT
printmania

Hi Michal & the gang :-)

The Blurb HQ office is full of Intel Macs, and BookSmart runs faster than it used to. If we’re talking about speed, there must be another variable here. I just looked through old threads and you did say you’d switched over to an Intel Mac from a Power PC Mac––so I am sorry to have jumped the the wrong conclusion.

As for the Remove Unused Photos tool, my first reaction is "ouch." I’m sorry to hear about that one, folks. The programmers are on it and that will be fixed in the upcoming patch. Is it too early for a beer? It’s only 10 a.m. Pacific Time, but it’s dinner time at Blurb’s Amsterdam office…

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Aug 27, 2008 10:07am PDT
jbates

I ordered an Intel Mac the minute the first ones went on sale.

Speed, or the extreme lack of it, has been a problem for me with version 1.9.5. Only 1.8.x was a speed demon for me. I have no idea about the speed of 1.9.6. Haven’t had a chance to test its speed because I gave up on 1.9.6, for now, for reasons detailed above.

Posted by
Michal
Aug 27, 2008 10:52am PDT
Michal

I wish I read this thread 80 hours ago when I started designing my book. BookSmart has crashed and I cannot recover my book. Yes, I sent in a tech support note. But, my client’s deadline is approaching and I will be re-creating my 48-page book with Shutterfly, a slightly amateurish but—based on experience—a 100% reliable custom book source. I’ll certainly keep an eye out for Blurb’s future progress and maybe retry down the road. In the meantime, I need something reliable. Sorry.

Posted by
coreyweiner
Aug 28, 2008 10:25am PDT
coreyweiner

New version does NOT slurp Typepad blogs. Only slurps the current front page entries. HELP!

Posted by
danielflahif
Aug 29, 2008 5:48pm PDT
danielflahif

1.9.6 freezes every 10 seconds. Where can I download 1.9.5 again? Help! Need to finish a book up by tomorrow!

Posted by
luthien01450
Aug 29, 2008 6:13pm PDT
luthien01450

BookSmart 1.9.6 on Intel MacPro Quad-Core, OS X 10.5.4, and a ridiculous amount of RAM and hard disk space. And still, Book not-so-Smart will only ‘slurp’ the first 20 posts in my Typepad blog…

I guess I’ll be shopping elsewhere;-(

Posted by
danielflahif
Aug 29, 2008 8:08pm PDT
danielflahif

Hello Cynthia;

If you have already opened your book project in 1.9.6, re-installing 1.9.5 won’t help!

Once a book has been opened in a later release, there’s no going back… It’s a one-way ticket – UNLESS you took the precaution of backing up the .book file BEFORE installing the latest release… In which case, you can re-open the "old" backed-up version of the book with the "old" release of BookSmart…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 30, 2008 2:08am PDT
lkb-28

I am currently using version 1.9.5, just gor back from a 3 weeks vacation and want to start my next book. 

Question, if I use 1.9.5 to compose book ( do not want to try 1.9.6 at this time) will  I be able to upload/publish in about 4 weeks time?

By the way, I looked at other self publish names mentioned her and want to stay with Blurb.

Posted by
walnutlady
Aug 31, 2008 10:12am PDT
walnutlady

I have found 1.9.6.25585 to be unstable.  I created a new book and did a routine cut and paste of text from another (similar) book and it crashed Booksmart.  This is something I have done countless times in previous versions with no problem.  I was able to build the entire book before this happened so, many hours of work are inaccessible now.  I can’t go back to a previous version obviously so I am effectively dead in the water.  I wouldn’t recommend installing this version if you haven’t already – too risky.  Version 1.9.5 was the most stable I have used in the past couple of years.  Wait for a patch.

Posted by
FubarEast
Sep 2, 2008 5:53am PDT
FubarEast