BookSmart

Problems with clipped text after importing previously designed book into version 1.9.7

I just imported a 120 page book I did in a previous version of Blurb into the newest version 1.9.7 in order to work on a new edition.

After the importation, most of the text containers showed ‘clipped text’ errors.  Since my book is a scientific text I can’t just remove words to make the text fit, nor can I really make the text smaller as its already small.   

Why would software designers not take text to text coversion compatability into consideration before releasing a new version?  Is there going to be a solution to this basic issue?   

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
descentline
Sep 6, 2008 7:19pm PDT
descentline

Well after waiting 2 days for someone to reply in the forum…I give up.  My post must not be important enough for Blurb staff to respond to, although they have responded to others’ posts.  Blurb staff must know the answer to this question, and answering it would benefit the community.  This should not have to go through tech support.  I ask again, is there going to be a fix to this problem?

Posted by
descentline
Sep 8, 2008 4:59pm PDT
descentline

I have to say I had the exact same problem as you did but luckely I only had a few pages to fix – but quite frankly: why should I have to fix those pages?

Seems to me that when bringing out new (and supposedly improved) versions, that it shouldn’t create problems. Its frusterating as all heck to be sure.

I too would like to see an answer from Blurb.

Posted by
DKennedy
Sep 8, 2008 5:09pm PDT
DKennedy

The forums are primarily aimed at facilitating the exchange of ideas, help and information between Blurb users though Blurb staff do monitor the forums and jump in sometimes.

They provide an e-mail help service for those who wish to get direct help, report a problem, etc.

If you go to Search FAQs you will see, on the RHS, a heading of EMAIL SUPPORT, under that you will see various support options.

But in this case I believe I can help.  There is a known bug that sometimes causes that text overflow warning message to pop up when there is not a problem. If you go into Preview Book mode, the button at the bottom right of the BookSmart window. and check out at those pages, if they look fine with no loss of text then your book will print fine.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 9, 2008 12:29am PDT
tfrankland

I appreciate your suggestion…I tried that, but it is apparently not the problem. 

It seems as though when the software was ‘upgraded’ the algorithm used to process text changed in a way that interferes with text container size, text size or spacing.

As I look through other forum posts, I see similar concerns…this is why I believe it is an important venue for Blurb to see trends….and to drive others that have similar experience to post them for others to see.   It also save a lot of work for Blub to post an answer in the forum than to respond to individuals’ questions when they are all similar.

However, since Blurb has not responded to my question in the forum and your generous suggestion has not addressed my particular issue, I will have to go to email support.  I’ll post the answer if I get one that works for my situation.

Posted by
descentline
Sep 9, 2008 7:30am PDT
descentline

I had the same problem. I realized it had to do with the styling I had on Captions. I fixed it by

- clicking inside a caption box

- Pulling down the style list from the toolbar

- Choosing customize styles

- Changing the font size of the caption.

I also found that temporarily changing the page that’s showing an error to a different size, with a different caption layout (i.e. larger caption boxes), can be helpful in seeing what the software is doing to your captions.

I agree with the above comments about getting help from Blurb. It seems like questions go unanswered in the forums for a very long time.

Posted by
c2frobbo
Nov 22, 2008 4:17pm PDT
c2frobbo

I am having issues inputting text and i have a feeling it might also be reltated to styling.  As I change text, the letters go in all the wrong places, letter are delted although I didn’t touch a delete button…its just weird.  I tried UN formatting everything and starting fresh, but eventually it starts happening again. it makes it impossible to change or input text. 

Any ideas or thoughts?

Posted by
josieiselin
Nov 22, 2008 5:23pm PDT
josieiselin

Decentline,

I had the same problem when I installed 1.9.9. I found that most all my problems were due to each text box having an additional "return" character at the end – essentially adding a null line into each box of text. Simply deleting that fixed most all my overflows. 

The fact that so many folks had this or a similar problem does not speak well for quality control in the Blurb software effort. I was a customer of  "home-brew" design software at a company in Silicon Valley for many years, and no release was ever made unless it was absolutely backward compatible with existing design files. Of course in that case the users had a direct connection to management, so it didn’t take long for the coders to self-monitor this and other quality concerns.

Mike Reitsma

Posted by
argusmike
Nov 25, 2008 11:09pm PDT
argusmike

I am also having a problem with text entry.  I think mine is somewhat different from the above, but it is probably related.  When I enter text, many times I find if I close BookSmart and then reopen it, some of the text I had entered in the previous session has been clipped.  Usually the last letters at the ends of some words or (extremely nerve racking) truncating the numbers in an index I am trying to compile.  I have to go through and proofread the whole document every time I open it or I end up with lines of truncated words or and index that doesn’t match up with the correct pages. 

Posted by
Badger14
Sep 6, 2009 8:54am PDT
Badger14