BookSmart

Multiple versions of Booksmart?

Hi… I was wondering if you can have multiple versions of Booksmart software loaded at the same time?  ie: 1.95 and 1.96…

The main reason – as a BlurbNation member, I often have 4-5 projects that I am working on at various stages consistently – as I’m in the middle of a project, I don’t want to upgrade to the new version as it might cause issues to the books I’m working on.  I’d really like to have both versions installed in seperate paths and continue working on the books in the old version while starting new projects in the new version.

The warning on the latest version that it might modify text heavy projects has given me pause about upgrading… but I need the fix for the 25 post bug…

any advice would be appreciated!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Jingothecat
Sep 9, 2008 6:47am PDT
Jingothecat

When I was testing the just launched 1.9.6 I had both that and 1.9.5 installed. I just gave a path of Program Files/Blurb196 when I did the install.

Two warnings though. When you install it will replace the existing desktop icon with one that points to the new version, so you’ll either need to re-instate the old one with a different name or access the prgram via Start…..All Programs….

Secondly you will need to be VERY careful opening books. If you open an existing book with the new version it will instantly convert it to the new format whether you make and changes or not, then you will not be able to open it with a previous version.  So backing up your books is critical!

For my new books, and copies of old books I was trying with 1.9.6 I (re)named them as bookname196 to make sure I did not get in a muddle.

I’m about to start a new book and I’ll do the same again with an install of 1.9.7 as I may have changes to make to existing books.

I also never choose the RUN option when downloading a newversion of BookSmart. I always choose SAVE, give it a name with the version in, then install from that file. That way I can always re-install an old version if need be to work on a version of a book that I saved just-in-case the new version falls over….....like 1.9.6

...........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 9, 2008 7:51am PDT
tfrankland

Tony.. thx so much for that.. I had a feeling it would be ok but I know with the auto-uninstall if you choose the same path, I was worried that even with a new path, the software would uninstall the older version first.

Ok – this will help me greatly and will give it a go now!  Much appreciated…. Andy. 

Posted by
Jingothecat
Sep 10, 2008 7:00am PDT
Jingothecat

To expand a little on Tony’s earlier comment, I’m running two versions of BookSmart on the same Windows XP-Pro PC using separate user accounts for each. In this way I can continue working on existing projects using the original version in which they were created whilst beginning new projects with the latest version. BookSmart stores its data in individual user’s "My Documents" folders so the two (or more if you like) sets of projects needed necessarily conflict. I haven’t encoutered any problems so far. Here’s what I did:

1. Create a separate user account to use with the new version of BookSmart  (see Windows Help if you don’t know how to do this)

2. Download the new version of BookSmart

3. IMPORTANT – Backup existing book projects!!!

4. Rename any existing Desktop/Quick Launch shortucts so that they’re not overwritten when installing the new version

5. Hold down the Shift key and Right-click the newly downloaded setup program

6. Choose "Run as" from the menu which appears

7. Enter the credentials (username and password) for the alternative user account created in step 1, above

8. Go through the setup program, making sure, as Tony says, to choose a different installation path from the existing installation of BookSmart – Note that Start Menu items may be affected depending on the choices made during setup, but I just use the Desktop Shortcuts so this doesn’t really affect me

9. DO NOT click the new shortcuts just yet! – Once setup is complete, right-click the Shortcuts for the new Booksmart installation, choose Properties and then click the Advanced button under the Shortcut tab

10.Tick the "Run with different credentials" checkbox and then click OK

Now, when you run the old version of BookSmart with the original shortcuts, it will run the original version and pick up the files from your current user account’s My Documents folder, just as before. But, when you click on the shortcuts for the newly installed version, you will be prompted for a username and password. Enter the credentials for the new account you created and under which this version was installed and the new BookSmart version will launch and look for the projects under the My Documents folder of the new account, which are separate from the older ones.

The procedure should be similar for Vista users too. 

Posted by
richardhay
Sep 15, 2008 6:36am PDT
richardhay

Neat!

Thanks for that.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 15, 2008 8:06am PDT
tfrankland

Thx for that good approach – I just installed the program to a new directory and am sure to mark the new version with a * or something in the name of the project… This works well for me since I also need to have access to Photoshop and various other addon programs that I had installed originally under a single user only…  Would have been a good approach though if my programs were available to all users!

Posted by
Jingothecat
Sep 16, 2008 7:58am PDT
Jingothecat