BookSmart

Patch for new version of BookSmart

[Moderator’s note: this thread was inadvertently deleted while a duplicate post was being removed. We are rebuilding the thread post-by-post, but please note timestamps will be off (this thread was actually started September 2, 2008) and hyperlinks/text formatting may be affected.] 

Last week, we released a new version of BookSmart, and today, after lots of great feedback from our community, we have released a patch that fixes some major bugs tied to that release. I encourage you to download BookSmart 1.9.7  whether or not you encountered some of these bugs.

In addition to the list of new features and improvements we wrote about last week, 1.9.7 includes the following fixes and updates:
•    Image detail information on hover is back.
•    Fixed an issue in which Blogger slurper was slurping only the first 25 entries.
•    "Remove Unused Images" functionality now works as expected.
•    Improved text behavior when moving between containers and pages.  Fixed a crash resulting from backspaces crossing containers.
•    Improvements to Global Text Styles functionality include more accurate Text Toolbar updates and more intuitive style updating.
•    Updates to Undo/Redo functionality to include Vertical Alignment and Global Text Styles changes.
•    Resolved a crash resulting from applying Ornaments on Covers.
•    Added a Shortcut for "Import Book."
•    Resolved a bug in which unused containers were showing in Preview mode Thumbnail view.
•    Resolved a bug with "Change Directory" that occurred when changing to a folder for which the user does not have proper permissions.
•    Improved text highlight and select all behavior.

We’ve also made significant improvements to the way BookSmart handles spacing between lines of text. If you’re almost finished with a text heavy book, we recommend uploading your book project before upgrading, as the new changes will result in slight shifts within your text layout. If you’re ready to start a new project, you’ll appreciate this improvement, so go ahead and upgrade now.

I want  to thank everyone in the Forums for their patience as we worked through some of these new issues. Your detailed feedback has been unbelievably helpful and makes for a better BookSmart. And for that we are grateful.

Enjoy the latest version. And of course, let us know what you think.

– Kathy Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kathybad
Sep 17, 2008 1:25pm PDT
kathybad

Thanks for all the hard work. But it still does not slurp Typepad correctlly. My system: BookSmart 1.9.7 on Intel MacPro Quad-Core, OS X 10.5.4, and a ridiculous amount of RAM and hard disk space.

And still, it will only ‘slurp’ the first 20 posts in my Typepad blog…

Posted by
danielflahif
Sep 17, 2008 1:28pm PDT
danielflahif

My thanks for all your hard work too, however, it did NOT solve the text edit issue 1.9.6 created for me – any attempt to edit text in my book crashes the application.  In fact, I created a new test book, put a couple images in it and cut and pasted text to it from another book (formatted or plain text) and the application crashes immediatly.  1.9.7 doesn’t work.

Posted by
FubarEast
Sep 17, 2008 1:29pm PDT
FubarEast

Hi all,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

First, to FubarEast, please note that 1.9.7 doesn’t fix absolutely everything. If there is a problem with your file, it’s not necessarily something that resulted from 1.9.6. This may be a typical file corruption problem, which Customer Support should be able to help you fix. Please contact them and tell them Jeremy recommended they solicit your files.

Danielflahif, unfortunately our developers were only able to fix 1 of the apparent 2 Typepad issues (the first issue being the complete breakage of BookSmart/Typepad communication). The problem now with it only slurping the first page of entries will be fixed in an upcoming edition of BookSmart. I am sorry about that and recommend you try out a blog migration (export/import) tool so you can port, temporarily, your entries to a blog platform that is currently working. I know that sounds like a pain—I’m only recommending it in case you want your blog book NOW.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Sep 17, 2008 1:30pm PDT
jbates

Hi,

I’ve just joined blurb and can’t download the software,I’ve tried my pc and laptop,firefox and IE.

Any help

Posted by
cjallen1
Sep 17, 2008 1:30pm PDT
cjallen1

Jeremy, Thanks for the tip, quick response, and professionalism. I’ll give the export option a try and see how it goes.

Love this project and wish y’all the best!

d.

Posted by
danielflahif
Sep 17, 2008 1:31pm PDT
danielflahif

cjallen1 wrote…I’ve just joined blurb and can’t download the software,I’ve tried my pc and laptop,firefox and IE

You should contact Blurb technical support who will give one-to-one help rather than hoping for a resolution through these forums, there is not enough information in your post for members to try and help you.

Go to Search FAQs and you will see a heading of EMAIL SUPPORT on the RHS, under that you will see Technical Suppport.

...........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 17, 2008 1:36pm PDT
tfrankland

If you’re almost finished with a text heavy book, we recommend uploading your book project before upgrading, as the new changes will result in slight shifts within your text layout. If you’re ready to start a new project, you’ll appreciate this improvement, so go ahead and upgrade now.

Thank you SO much for this warning, Kathy! I have a couple of books I’m close to being done with – I was going to save/export them and then try to upgrade – now I know I should wait. You just saved me tons of time. Thanks again! :)

Posted by
ShannonH
Sep 17, 2008 1:37pm PDT
ShannonH

I wish I would have read this blog before I uploaded.   I was near the end of a text heavy recipe book and now I am having go go through and fix everything!  This warning should be posted in the area where it tells you to upgrade… and if it was and I missed it, then it wasn’t posted big enough.

I even tried restoring the old verison of Booksmart as I have a Mac but it didn’t work as the file is now part of the new version.

Posted by
Emmymom
Sep 17, 2008 1:38pm PDT
Emmymom

Jenny, no answer for you I’m afraid, but two suggestions in this post…

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/3573

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 17, 2008 1:40pm PDT
tfrankland

Hi,

I have just downloaded version1.9.7. When I tried to update a picture in a new page, the application is quitting with errors. As this is only a problem of a particular page, I am unable to update the page with latest information. Please look into the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shannon

Posted by
ShannonMc
Sep 17, 2008 1:40pm PDT
ShannonMc

If you want Blurb staff to look into this issue you need to raise a Technical Support Request, the forums are primarly meant to facilitate exchange of help and ideas between Blub users, though the staff do monitor the posts.

Go to Search FAQs and you will see a heading of EMAIL SUPPORT on the RHS, under that you will see Technical Suppport. Their customer support is pretty good.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 17, 2008 1:41pm PDT
tfrankland

Any feedback on the new patch? After reading the posts when the new version came out i decided not to download the new version… what are the forums opinions on the new version now that the patch has been released?  Is it worth updating?

thank you! love blurb!

Posted by
babiigirl11x
Sep 17, 2008 1:42pm PDT
babiigirl11x

Help! I am halfway through designing a book of fine art photography and I am using borders on the photos. Now I downloaded the new version of booksmart and have no option to add borders. on the bar at the top of the window I now only have options for “THEMES” BACKGROUNDSAND ORNAMENTS” The borders tab is completely missing!!!! Now I’m halfway through the layout with all the photos having borders and I cannot continue. Can I still download the previous version?

Posted by
wilmst
Sep 17, 2008 1:43pm PDT
wilmst

Start Pagination Here does not work.  I have tried it using both the drop down menu and the right click on the page.   Have tried it on a new book and on a photo book of approximately 259 pages.  Nothing works.

What gives?  I would love to use this feature.

John-Mark

Posted by
jms84
Sep 17, 2008 1:44pm PDT
jms84

John-Mark,

Pagination works for me! But what I did notice is that although the page numbers in the footers of my pages now start at 1 where I requested (and previous pages the page number is blank) the numbers below the page thumbnails in the strip along the bottom of the BookSmart window still start at 1. I was a bit miffed to start with but then realised that if that wasn’t the case I wouldn’t know how many pages were in my book and I couldn’t work out the cost.

Double check the page numbers in your footers (or headers if you have requested the page numbers there).

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 17, 2008 1:44pm PDT
tfrankland

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Thanks Tony!  You are right.  I was sitting there just staring at the thumbs….

Posted by
jms84
Sep 17, 2008 1:45pm PDT
jms84

"Quote" Help! I am halfway through designing a book of fine art photography and I am using borders on the photos. Now I downloaded the new version of booksmart and have no option to add borders. on the bar at the top of the window I now only have options for “THEMES” BACKGROUNDSAND ORNAMENTS” The borders tab is completely missing!!!! Now I’m halfway through the layout with all the photos having borders and I cannot continue. Can I still download the previous version?"

The Border button is still there, it has been moved down a little bit. It was hard for me to find also.

Posted by
DimpleLou
Sep 17, 2008 1:45pm PDT
DimpleLou

I should have finished my post, You have to select a photograph and you will see the Border button on the Photo Tools Bar.

Posted by
DimpleLou
Sep 17, 2008 1:46pm PDT
DimpleLou

How does one know if they have the latest patch?  Mine shows Verson: 1.9.7.25866

Posted by
deanej
Sep 17, 2008 1:47pm PDT
deanej

Just loaded Booksmart, ran it, it froze the screen.

Running XP Pro, 3gb of ram, 50gb of free disc space.

........................ Just going to un-install Booksmart…... Good Bye.

Posted by
MikeJA
Sep 17, 2008 1:47pm PDT
MikeJA

I really enjoy working with Booksmart, and it has been working flawlessly. Can’t wait to publish my book.

After updating to 1.9.7 I am struggling with entering text. I set the font to Georgia 12 but whenever I start typing the font size is set to 9 again. Even in the middle of a paragraph of Georgia 12, with the font box on top saying Georgia 12.

Also navigating and selecting text using the keyboard (e.g. shift-end, shift-home, end) does not seem to work anymore. I never noticed anything peculiar when entering text so I suspect this has slipped in?

Nothing serious like crashes or lost text, but it is quite annoying and not good for my confidence in the robustness of Booksmart.

Posted by
ChrisBakker
Sep 17, 2008 1:49pm PDT
ChrisBakker

I just installed the new 1.9.7 version. Now, everytime I try a "Get Photos" button, whether from a new or existing album, Book Smart shuts down completely.

Any suggestions? Is anyone else ahving this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted by
angelab
Sep 17, 2008 1:49pm PDT
angelab

Bonjour Kathy and
Jermey, as well as et al at Blurb,

Re: feature enhancement for consideration

{a icon of box to be checked} Perhaps that this feature to be assigned at the time of “uploading .book file” prior to order book, it should include a box of check in “to” acknowledge this—something like this…

Something like this… “I have examined the proof for correction of content, fonts, images and quality of image. As consequence, I understand that this proof means the *final* finished book. I approve the printing to be published.”

{continue} {cancel}

If this feature included in the future release of “new” version of Blurb BookSmart app, THIS probably will help Blurbarians (or customers or bookmakers) to realize. Perhaps this will help people to recognize that they need to be more organized in preparation of their book file through BookSmart. Also, I would think some aspect of sRGB color profile and its related wording related to 300 ppi and sRGB color profile should be assigned prior to import and all. I mean, it should also include in the “acknowledgement button” to approve this, or not. If not, then they can press “cancel” and go back to editing in BookSmart and go through the same procedure and MUST check-in to approve this PRIOR to upload the .book file. I don’t know if that make things easier, no?

The reason for this, I have notice that there were so many forum topic discussed about typo errors, how to resolve this after they realize they found some error on typo error or something like that…

Just a thought and suggestion. Please take this under consideration for feature enhancement. I would think that it is a big time saver, some problem that arise… That said, this feature could be of saving lot of time, effort and money – it is win-win situation on both sides: Blurbarians and Blurb as a whole.

Happy bookmaking with Blurb Book,
Brian
a passionate Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 17, 2008 1:53pm PDT
brianbonitz

Well, against my better judgement, I downloaded the new patch for Booksmart. I usually wait quite a while before I d/l new versions of software because, frankly, I don’t want to be an unpaid beta tester. However I am really enjoying Booksmart and was hoping against hope that your new version would be faster and easier to use.

Frankly, I don’t know if it is easier to use because I am still waiting for all the pictures in the book I am working on to load.  It is taking forever.  Just a moment, let me check to see if they are all loaded up yet….....  No, only about 2/3 of the 80 pages have loaded up so far. Eight minutes and waiting.

You need to fix this problem pronto!

Martin

Posted by
Fluor
Sep 17, 2008 1:53pm PDT
Fluor

Hi! I’m back. All the pictures finally loaded up and I can work with my book in progress. Maybe its my imagination but I do think that the layout is brighter, sharper and better proportioned than before but slower to react to changes I want to make. I had to review each page because some text no longer fit in the boxes they were in and some photos shifted position in multi-pictures pages. So that leads me to suggest two changes for the next up-date.

1. Horizontal and vertical guide lines. Can you create movable guide lines that we can use to position pictures in multi-photo pages?  Almost all graphic programs have guide lines which can be moved about the page to help align text and graphics so inserting the programming for this feature shouldn’t be a big problem (easy for me to say, I know). This would be a HUGE help in making pages look symmetrical and professional. "Snap to" guide lines would be ideal but any type of grid we could overlay on a page to align images would be great.

2.  Can we get pages in which the user can adjust the size of the text box and the image boxes?The ability to resize the text and image boxes would be very useful. Sometimes the pre-set pages just don’t work out for the desired page purpose.

Martin

Posted by
Fluor
Sep 17, 2008 1:54pm PDT
Fluor

I just downloaded the new version (1.9.7) today, and wish I hadn’t…..  I had the older version (1.9.4) and have been working on a book for 6 months now.  I had an occasional problem here and there, but I was always able to resolve it.  Since I’ve downloaded the 1.9.7, I have not been able to do anything!  I’ve tried changing the font….it crashes (I gave up after 6-7 times), I then had the bright idea to "reinstall" the 1.9.4 version and continue with my book…...NOT!!  I could not open my book because it was now revised with the 1.9.7, and I needed to download that (again) to get access to my book.  So, I did that, hoping that maybe the first time was a "fluke".  It wasn’t.. I’m still having the same problem as I did before.  I’ve messed up some of the text after trying one of the new "features", and I can’t keep BookSmart open long enough to fix my text before it crashes!  I’ve sent an email to the Technical Support Team and hope I get some help soon..  I just want to finish my book and present it to my father…  Yes, I’ve noticed others having the exact same problems I’ve experienced and I hope all of us get straightened out quickly….....Ugh!Frown

Posted by
SandyStaruk
Sep 17, 2008 1:54pm PDT
SandyStaruk

Hi all,

Okay, I’ve got a hot cup of coffee at my desk… So let’s help get some books made.

Backing up to angelab’s crash…If BookSmart ever falls down immediately after you hit "Get Photos," then the issue most likely pertains to BookSmart, via Java, calling up the Windows dialog box. To fix that crash, you can run a search for a file called "NativeSmart.dll" and delete that specific file. BookSmart will then fall back on its own dialog box, which should run normally without crashing.

Brian’s idea for some extra author acknowledgement/agreement text is right on. I agree that language should be bolstered somehow without creating a maze of warnings that an author will simply speed-click through. When Kathy is back from vacation, I think she’d be interested to read your suggestion.

Fluor, after loading your images the first time (and rebuilding the cache libraries), the program should run faster. It sounds like you’re still experiencing some lag, however… Guides would indeed be great (I design with a touchpad—no mouse—in InDesign, and would be lost without the "snap-to" feature. But is that coming to BookSmart? Probably not… not soon, anyway). But as for baseline guides, that goes hand-in hand with the possibility of allowing for adjustable image and text containers….Those are both fine ideas that I will pass along to the programmers.

Finally, SandyStaruk, ouch. I am sorry to read about that. Customer Support will do its best to get that working again for you. Feel free to ask them to escalate your case; they might need to ask you to send your files for examination/repair.

Thanks to all. We’ll be chattin’ more this week…
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Sep 17, 2008 1:55pm PDT
jbates

Hi Jeremy,

Excellent!

Cheers,
Brian, a passionate Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 17, 2008 1:56pm PDT
brianbonitz

For those on a Mac, you might want to run “Repair permissions” in the Disk utility. I also run Applejack ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596 ) when there are problems. The previous upgrade was quite sluggish and even locked up my computer to the point I could not do a “Force Quit”.

After installing the new upgrade and running the utilities mentioned above, things are working quite well on a new project. Old projects however, do take a while to load. Cannot say that i like the type issue – I like the 1.5 line spacing and the small text boxes do not handle that now.

Richard

Posted by
imageworks
imageworks

i’ve had a few of the same problems noted above. I had been working on a book in a previous version and when imported into 1.9.7 I too noticed the bottom line of text was half cut off. I wasn’t able to edit the text in the bottom line of text or cause it to be pushed into a new container on the next page.

When using the few feature for text styles it would not alter the highlighted portion if part of it already had a style (even the same style) applied.

the biggest issue I have had so far is I went to change a page layout to a different layout, which caused a fatal error (or so it would seem as I am not unable to open this book without the program crashing). Thankfully, the majority of the work in this book was backed up but some information was lost.

I did also note it took forever and a day for images to load both in edit mode and preview mode.

Posted by
mrs_natalie
mrs_natalie

I have already downloaded the latest version of the software, and have just completed a redo of my previous publication to remove a few of the self-inflicted hiccoughs that were in the original. Everything seemed to go very smoothly and the issues I had found with the previous version all seem to have been addressed.

But! I just decided to go back in and experiment with the borders which are supposed to be an option around text boxes, and find that the border button does nothing at all. Where am I going wrong? It pops into action as usual for the image borders, but lies there completely lifeless for the text boxes. Am I missing something or just looking at the wrong button perhaps?

Posted by
printmania
Sep 17, 2008 1:57pm PDT
printmania

I second what Emmymom said – the warnings should have been much bigger and louder about downloading the new version!  I’ve been working on a huge cookbook for 6 months, meticulously editing each page, inserting fractions by hand, etc. and I still have a long way to go, shooting for November as my deadline.   As the book has gotten bigger, over 200 pages, everything has gotten much, much slower and I have to sit and wait for every little change I want to make.  Suppose I jumped the gun downloading the new version, hoping against hopes it would improve things.  Sure enough, the text is all shifted, randomly changing fonts, but I could go through and try to fix that, but it’s even SLOWER in reaction time for anything I want to do, like highlight text…wait…wait…bold it…wait…wait…wait…insert cursor in a new box….wait….wait….scroll down…wait….wait….wait.  It took me almost an hour to put one recipe in, and I was only cutting and pasting from a Word document.  And it has crashed 6 times in a row when i try to type capital B in my index.  This is terrible, I have so much to do and I’ll never get it done in time with such clunkiness.  I was wondering if it has anything to do with how big teh book is getting, like is there a practical size limit, or how many photos there are?  It worked so smoothly when I was starting out.  I’m about to cry and/or give up.  Any advice or help how to speed it up so it’s worth working on would be great.

Posted by
discomom
Sep 17, 2008 1:58pm PDT
discomom

Also not slurping Typepad – only first 20 posts.

Come on guys, you had this right a year ago when I made a great book out of the first year of my blog. Now I want to do the second year, and you can’t make it work…..

Posted by
Tampen
Sep 17, 2008 1:58pm PDT
Tampen

Hooray!!! Thank you Booksmart designers for adding the full justification option for working with text in this new verson. This is what had kept me from using Booksmart – so now I can go ahead with my plans. Awesome stuff – keep up the great work.

Posted by
Don_Cheke
Sep 17, 2008 1:59pm PDT
Don_Cheke

1.9.7 fixed one of my problems but created another. I use the Mac version. On importing text from MS Word into two column layouts, the Booksmart-added indent atop new pages is gone. But so are my indents throughout the document! I have tried all manner of saving the text before importing to no avail. I like the other changes, but this still kills my plans for my text-heavy book.

Posted by
Rickylyn1
Sep 17, 2008 1:59pm PDT
Rickylyn1

Hi Rickylyn1,

I’d recommend highlighting your text in Word and, from the Styles menu, choosing Clear Formatting. Then it should paste over without any indenting issues. If not, I recommend contacting Customer Support and telling them that I would like you to send over that Word document so I can test out a solution.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Sep 17, 2008 2:00pm PDT
jbates

upgraded while working on a book. Now it hangs when I try to edit a text-field. Tried to downgrade but the bookfile is not backwards compatible. Nice.. What can I do?

Posted by
warnerwierda
Sep 17, 2008 2:13pm PDT
warnerwierda

Just lost a gig of effort when I tried cutting and pasting text.  I should have backed up the latest version.  Oh well… back up (export) often as I could no longer open the file without causing the program to shut down.

Posted by
hodad66
Sep 17, 2008 2:15pm PDT
hodad66

Came here after being unable to run the 1.9.8 version (After successfully downloading and installing, it won’t run.  Just get the error-reporting tool).

So I get here and it looks like 1.9.7 is not stable either?   WTF

Where is a version I can actually use?  Or should I just stick with Asukabook.  More expensive, but I can just use Photoshop for them  – and Pshop works :P

Posted by
BP2U
Sep 17, 2008 2:16pm PDT
BP2U

The latest release runs fine for by far the majority of users, but as you can see from this post there are some having problems. From what I have read on previous posts it could be a clash between BookSmart and your PC configuration (a common cause is not having the latest release of Java, for instance) and it is likely that Blurb staff can help you resolve this problem. Why don’t you give that a try, their customer support is very good.

These forums are primarily for user to user communications sharing experiences, ideas, frustrations, etc. Though they are monitored by Blurb staff they are not the most effective way of getting them to give you one-to-one help with a technical problem.

Go to Search FAQs and you will see a heading of EMAIL SUPPORT on the RHS, under that you will see Technical Suppport.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 17, 2008 2:16pm PDT
tfrankland

I am confused. I see BP2U is talking about 1.98 version. I saw no mention of that being released anywhere. Has he just got his numbers wrong or is there in fact a new release? At the top of this thread there is mention of the 1.97 only.

Posted by
printmania
Sep 17, 2008 2:17pm PDT
printmania

Janys,

they slipped in 1.9.8 without telling us! If you download BookSmart from the home page that is the version you get. I haven’t installed it though, I’d like to know what fixes are in it before I do.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 17, 2008 2:18pm PDT
tfrankland

Howdy,

The most current version should probably be called 1.9.7.1, as it really fixes only text "borders" (which I also feel should be named differently, as it refers to decorative designs in text containers rather than the outline around a container itself).

Sorry for any confusion; 1.9.8 is essentially 1.9.7, just with that one tiny change…

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Sep 17, 2008 2:18pm PDT
jbates

Thanks Jeremy,

I’ll go ahead and install it then.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 17, 2008 2:19pm PDT
tfrankland

Jeremy

thanks…........ !

Janys

Posted by
printmania
Sep 17, 2008 2:20pm PDT
printmania

Jeremy – I tried deleting NativeSmart.dll and that didn’t work either.

I tried restarting and using IE to download.. nothing.

Java is updated.

Support sent a .zip of the download .exe  – same results (installs but won’t run – just get the error reporting tool).

I used that window to report it each time.

Any other suggestions?

Posted by
BP2U
Sep 17, 2008 2:22pm PDT
BP2U

Hi BP2U,

Please stay in touch with Customer Support. If their first suggestion did not work, please let them know. They will keep working with you until you’re up and running (or are able to provide a good explanation why it’s not working.
Thanks for hanging in there,
Jeremy     

Posted by
jbates
Sep 17, 2008 2:22pm PDT
jbates

Is it just me – or was it just my copy of the new version that has what appears to be a spelling mistake? Install4jWisard?

Whats ‘4j’?

:P

Posted by
DKennedy
Sep 17, 2008 2:23pm PDT
DKennedy

I am also experiencing that strange font glitch where text that should be 12pt is registering as 9pt.  While it looks like 12pt, I can ony hope that when it goes to print  it will, in fact, be 12pt.  Is anything known about this glitch?

Posted by
BedHist
Sep 19, 2008 12:36pm PDT
BedHist