BookSmart

12pt Font Size Glitch

A major problem I have been having in Booksmart involves trying to get 12pt font in containers that appear to only want 9pt.  I contacted technical support, but they didn’t seem to understand the problem, nor address it.  I believe I have figured out a possible cause of the glitch, and a way around it.  It seems as though the default body text is set to Georgia 9pt, and when you upgrade, it tries to reset all your settings to this default, whether or not your font is actually 12pt.  For some reason, the problem only seems to occur when you want 12pt font, not any other size.  Attempting to change it to 12pt automatically reverts it back to 9pt.

Anyway…I’ve managed to find a way around this issue, and while time-consuming, it seems to make it at least workable.  First you have to go to "Select Style" and create custom settings with the body text as 12pt.  Then, you have to go into each text container and "select all" the text, either by highlighting it all or going to the drop down menu and choosing "select all."  Then you need to go back up to the "Select Style" and select "body".  This should solve the 9pt/12pt problem for that text container.

One problem I have not found a way to solve involves the new justification feature.  When I type or paste text into the container, a few letters will often spill out of the container into the margins.  Has anyone else had this problem? The result is a messy looking edge, rather than the clean alignment you’d want from justifying the text.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
BedHist
Sep 25, 2008 1:15pm PDT
BedHist

I am not sure if i understand your situation. Is it possible for you to snapshot of your glitch you are seeing on your computer?

Brian, a passionate Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 25, 2008 2:50pm PDT
brianbonitz

How do you snapshot?

Posted by
BedHist
Sep 26, 2008 7:09am PDT
BedHist

I completely understand your dilema, because I am experiencing it too.  I have clicked on the bold button a couple times to "trick" the software and then was able to change the font again.  VERY FRUSTRATING!  Also  I am having the problem where I can go a short period of time editing my book and all of a sudden it closes on me.  Then I re-open and it closes again and again and again.  Any suggestions on how to handle this software glitch?  Please help and Thank you

Posted by
Roenick9
Sep 26, 2008 7:42am PDT
Roenick9

Hi Roenick9

I was having that problem too.  I contacted tech support and my boyfriend (who is a software engineer and knows more about these things) sent them a log of the crashes.  They were able to to guide him as to how to fix it.  It still crashes, but not as often, and not right when I open up the book. 

Posted by
BedHist
Sep 26, 2008 9:37am PDT
BedHist

Any idea how to fix it?

Posted by
Roenick9
Sep 26, 2008 11:34am PDT
Roenick9

I understand your problem cause I have similar difficulties..my Booksmart closes it self when i try  to edit text..its annoying..I´ll try your medicine.

Posted by
AikoAichi
Oct 1, 2008 12:40am PDT
AikoAichi

I have had the same problem in trying to justify my text as well.  At times my text will spill over to the left of the column…not all lines, just a couple.  Have not been able to figure out how to get around this yet.  I even tried cutting and pasting from Word, but that has not helped.

Posted by
pinch13
Oct 2, 2008 9:31am PDT
pinch13