BookSmart

Locked Update on blog slurpers

This week has not been kind to our blog slurpers. TypePad, WordPress.com, and Blogger are all bugged out on BookSmart. For some reason, these platforms made changes in their APIs, in essence how their code talks to our code, and BookSmart can’t recognize those changes. In other words, these slurpers aren’t able to do everything we want them to do at this time.

Of course, you can still cut and paste your entries and comments, but we know that’s unacceptable and a major drag.

I have it on good authority that the TypePad slurper will be up and running again with our next release. Blogger and WordPress.com will follow.

That’s it for the update. I’m truly sorry I don’t have more news. I will definitely post more news when we have it. Until then, thanks very much for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 26, 2008 3:41pm PDT
kathybad

How much time for wordpress?  Are we looking at maybe this week, This month, This year or sometime in 2009?  Right now I am holding off slurping waiting for the problem to get fixed. Should I attempt the lengthy process of cut and paste?  I hope not.

Jim

Posted by
thomson
Sep 30, 2008 9:50pm PDT
thomson

My slurp worked today for Blogger. I am a bit peeved that I subscribed to the feed for this post and no one updated it to say that it works for blogger, but then again maybe I am an exception. Regardless, it hasn’t work for a week and now it just worked.

So if you fixed it – thanks! 

Posted by
jjcartwright
Oct 2, 2008 10:49am PDT
jjcartwright

Hi,

I’ve got some updates today. First of all, jcartwright, glad to hear you got the Blogger slurper to work for you. It does appear to be working intermittently, but not consistently enough for us to say it’s truly functional. In fact, we cannot guarantee it’s going to work with BookSmart right now.

And it looks like WordPress will not make it into our next release. So, no new fix for WordPress in 2008.

Typepad on the other hand, appears to be a go. Look for a fully functioning TypePad slurper in the next BookSmart release. It’s coming soon, which means, yes, sometime by the end of the year.

And that’s it for the most recent info on the state of our slurpers.

Again, thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 3, 2008 1:53pm PDT
kathybad

That’s a major bummer about Wordpress.com.
You should update your website: http://www.blurb.com/learn_more/booksmart where you list compatibility with all of these blog platforms. I found this site searching specifically for Wordpress.com integration.

Best of Luck to You

Posted by
theanduman
Oct 13, 2008 9:19pm PDT
theanduman

Oh, you’re kidding me?!!!!!!

You have to do better than just post this here.  It’s RIDICULOUS.  I spent two hours last night trying to figure out why Wordpress wasn’t working.   I just downloaded your software yesterday with the intention of making a book for myself and for my family for Christmas from my blog, and it won’t work and you’re not telling anyone other than in this forum?  

I spent an hour browsing sites and forums trying to figure out why this wasn’t working and this is the ONLY place you’re telling people it won’t work??????

Posted by
petstafford
Oct 14, 2008 12:34pm PDT
petstafford

Hi petstafford,

That is obviously a valid complaint. You have a clear right to be upset, and we are sorry for the inconvenience you’ve experienced. 

As we’ve mentioned before, it’s been difficult for us to stay current with constantly changing blog-platform APIs and find we’re having to make updates to our slurpers after the fact. We don’t ever want to promise more than we can deliver — which, unfortunately, is clearly what’s happening with Wordpress and other blog platforms — and so it looks like we’re going to discontinue supporting that blog platform for the time being. In the meantime, all references to our previously supported blog platforms have been taken off our site.

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 14, 2008 1:05pm PDT
jbates

That would be nice.

Here’s an idea though.  Wordpress allows us to Export our blog, which is a very cool option, in my opinion.  Have you thought about perhaps finding a way to allow Wordpress Bloggers to upload their blog that way??  

I’ve calmed down a little now, but I have to say I was very angry when I found out I’d been wasting my time, HOWEVER, I still love your product and wish you could find a work around to accommodate Wordpress Bloggers like myself. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.   I appreciate it. 

Posted by
petstafford
Oct 14, 2008 2:08pm PDT
petstafford

I can slurp my Blogger blog into BookSmart, but only a handful of entries get downloaded (about 20 out of 250+).  Are these API changes affecting me too?  Just trying to make sure that’s the problem and not something else.  Thanks!

Posted by
melissaengle
Oct 14, 2008 7:59pm PDT
melissaengle

Oh yes, please do your utmost to find a way to work things out with Wordpress. I love your software so much—I was trying to do a blog book with Microsoft Publisher, and it was horrible—but trying to do it without the slurping is so tedious and time-consuming.

Posted by
rinadurron
Oct 16, 2008 3:14pm PDT
rinadurron

Umm….is it working for blogger?? Becuase I can’t find it in the "source list".  Someone please help!!

Posted by
eeks101
Oct 17, 2008 10:36am PDT
eeks101

This is extremely frustrating!  I uploaded my blog three months ago and have been laying it out as I have time between work and family.  Now I’m ready to upload the last three months to complete the year that I want to publish and I can’t!  It took long enough to to lay out what I have so far….now I don’t know that I will be able to finish it in time.  I have to go and find all the picture files in addition to copying and pasting text. 

There don’t seem to be real clear answers on when the issues will be fixed…I use Blogger.  Are we talking 1 month, 2 months, 6, never?  Just feeling beaten down.  Was so excited to upload the rest of my blog and get to work on it and now I don’t have much desire.

Posted by
mell312
Oct 18, 2008 2:53pm PDT
mell312

When will you all support blogspot.com?

Posted by
jilln_garcia
Oct 20, 2008 1:17pm PDT
jilln_garcia

Howdy,

To mell312: Ouch, I’m sorry this impacted a project you currently have underway. I’m not sure whether there is anything Customer Support can do to help in this situation, but it might be worth contacting them.

As for the blogspot question from jilln_garcia, that would cover blogger, as well. Support for blogger is unfortunately discontinued indefinitely. I am sorry.

Posted by
jbates
Oct 21, 2008 10:53am PDT
jbates

Arrrgggg.  Same thing here as mell312.  I’ve been working on a blog book for the past 6 months or so and was ready to finish up and now I can’t import the remaining months from my blog.  So frustrating!

Posted by
ktomkinson
Oct 22, 2008 9:38am PDT
ktomkinson

You’ve got to be freaking kidding me. What is the point of Booksmart then, when it looks as though it doesn’t work for wordpress or Blogger. I had my entire book up to JULY done. Sweet. thanks for that booksmart. This is the entire reason I don’t scrapbook anymore, and now, I feel like I’m a year behind on all of my progress. This is so frustrating/infuriating.

Posted by
AnneLee102
Oct 22, 2008 12:26pm PDT
AnneLee102

argh!!!  my blog is on blogger!!! Tell them I said to get their butts in gear!  this is an awesome site.

Posted by
arianeandfam
Oct 22, 2008 3:18pm PDT
arianeandfam

for those that are using blogger. it will slurp the newest 25 entries from your blog. So if you have more then that you want to slurp, all you ahve to do is change the posted date on your entries. it took a lot of time for me but i was able to get the last 3 months of my book slurped (Dec 06-Feb 07). i just changed all the dates to todays date, i started with teh furthest back entries i needed to slurp first and then once those 25 were slurped i changed the dates back to their origina posting dates and then did the next 25. I did that 4 different times to make a different 25 entires the top of the blog. yes your blog will look funny while you are doing it, but if you are fast you can change the dates, download to blurb and rechange them back fairly quickly….if you need the date info just type it into the body of your text before hitting post. but although its time consuming if you need to get a book ordered before they figure out the problem try this…..

Posted by
amarvel
Oct 22, 2008 10:56pm PDT
amarvel

You really won’t be printing blogger blogs?  That really stinks.  Will there be any change in the future?  Is there any way to print my blog?  Can I still copy paste, and how do I do that?

Posted by
empilling
Oct 23, 2008 8:51am PDT
empilling

Any hope for Blogger before the holidays? Is there any alternative?

Posted by
Aironn
Oct 23, 2008 12:21pm PDT
Aironn

I am with you Aironn… same question.  Wanted to put this together as a Christmas gift (created an entire book in Blooger last summer, then it crapped out, I redownloaded everything just now to find out it isn’t supported any more!)  Is there another application/website that does blogs through Blogger??

Posted by
vtbunny
Oct 23, 2008 12:38pm PDT
vtbunny

Howdy all,

Ack, yes, this is indeed a lousy situation. We had to cut off Blogger support for the reasons mentioned above. User amarvel presents an interesting workaround, and it’s also worth noting that these books can still be uploaded (if you had slurped your blog in a previous version of BookSmart). If it’s been a few weeks or months since you’ve slurped newer Blogger entries into BookSmart, and you’ve upgraded to BookSmart 1.9.9, I am sorry to say you’ll need to copy/paste from your Blogger page into BookSmart in order to complete your project. 

So please note your book CAN still be printed. Blog entries you’ve posted since you last slurped  simply (and unfortunately) must be recreated manually via copy/paste. 

Again, my apologies. I do hope this information helps a bit.

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 23, 2008 2:42pm PDT
jbates

thanks for your info, what is the current situation with wordpress?

Posted by
jamelia
Oct 24, 2008 6:05am PDT
jamelia

What’s cooking with Typepad too??

Posted by
rmeekster
Oct 24, 2008 6:42am PDT
rmeekster

Will Blogger support be up and running before for the holiday season? I’ve got blogs to publish that are much larger than copy/paste will allow.

By the way the tutorial video still shows blogger as an import option

Posted by
steverindy
Oct 24, 2008 1:10pm PDT
steverindy

Found a great solution for those who use blogger or wordpress. A conversion utility called Blog2Blog will convert your blogger or wordpress blogs and import them into LiveJournal automatically. It’s quick and painless…great workaround and it’s free (see link below)

http://linuxlore.blogspot.com/2007/09/livejournal-to-blogger-or-blogger-to.html

Posted by
steverindy
Oct 24, 2008 1:58pm PDT
steverindy

Steverindy, thanks for your post.  Just downloaded this program after the information claims the slurper works with blogger only to find—after hunting for information for half an hour—that it’s been "discontinued indefinitely."  Great.

Blurb: Suggest you update your information on which blogs are available so this is not misleading.  This is very frustrating and NOT a good introduction to your product. 

Posted by
Lgreen2162
Oct 25, 2008 8:32am PDT
Lgreen2162

Any chance of ever getting generic Wordpress support? There are tens of thousands of Wordpress blogs on the Internet that are not hosted *at* Wordpress.

Posted by
dotorg
Oct 26, 2008 10:36am PDT
dotorg

Wow. I was furious when I realized I’d wasted hours of my time only to find out that WordPress blogs are NOT suppored, even though it was advertised to be (you guys really should remove that from your site since it isn’t true.)

But MEGA thanks to  steverindy forthe link to the conversion utility http://linuxlore.blogspot.com/2007/09/livejournal-to-blogger-or-blogger-to.html

Nothing could be easier, seriously.  My blog is a WordPress blog, NOT hosted on the WordPress site (I host it myself).  ALL I had to do was create a new (blank) blog on LiveJournal,  install this utility, put in my usernames and passwords for both blogs, tell it where to find my blog,and it worked like a CHARM.  

It took me less than 30 minutes to import my entire blog from WordPress, into LiveJournal, then into BookSmart, and all worked without a hitch.  All of my entries look great, all images came through perfectly.  I’m really impressed!

I can only vouch for WordPress, but it absolutely worked, first time, no hitches, glitches or problems. 

As a side note, if you do this, make sure you go into your new LiveJournal blog and set the privacy preferences before you load it up there.  For me, I don’t really want to relocated my blog, I just wanted to temporarily import it so I could get it into Booksmart.  So to keep it private, you need to go set the options before you import.

Good luck!

Posted by
Leeese
Oct 26, 2008 1:04pm PDT
Leeese

Was hoping to come find better news in here.  What a disappointment.  I hope that a decision is made to get booksmart working with blogger/blogspot again. If not, once I manage to finish my current project I’m done.  I had hopes of doing yearly print outs of my family blog as keep sakes, but the extra work now required makes it too time consuming and just not worth it.  I’m going to try the conversion thing for now, but I don’t want to mess with that everytime either. 

Posted by
mell312
Oct 27, 2008 7:35pm PDT
mell312

Hi.. I would like to get some clairifcation on this please.. are you saying that as of version 1.99, blogger splups are not working?  My business relies a great deal on being able to convert blog books for clients – so I’d really like to know for sure what works and does not work with the following versions that I have installed on my system:

1.96, 1.97, 1.99

I believe that 1.96 only allows 25 entries to load before it stops slurping.. I then upgraded to 1.97 and it pulled in all entries for 2 blog books I am currently working on.  I haven’t done much with 1.99 yet..

Please let us know.. this is critical information (ie: I just quoted 2 customers for blog books) – if this indeed will be a manual process (ala Blogger comments) then I would need to revise my prices upwards..  Thx.

Posted by
Jingothecat
Oct 28, 2008 9:05am PDT
Jingothecat

I’m really bummed that the support for Blogger is no longer there. Don’t worry I’ll be complaining on their site too. Mostly I’m bummed because I just talked you all up on my blog telling them what a great company you are, your amazing products and how easy it is to use BookSmart. Now 1/3 of that is no longer true. Please do your best to get this fixed ASAP, your devoted fans and costumers are counting on you!!!!

Posted by
tklmom
Oct 28, 2008 1:28pm PDT
tklmom

Well.. I’m still confused by this statement because last night I just started a brand new blog-to-book conversion for a new client and… while bracing for the worst.. it worked just fine like it always has (sans comments).  This is with 1.97…

So – for anyone that wants to do a blogger slurp – 1.97 appears to work just fine.   

Posted by
Jingothecat
Oct 29, 2008 6:48am PDT
Jingothecat

If it works with 1.97, is there a way to revert back to 1.97 from 1.99? 

Per someone else’s suggestion, I sent in a statement on the issue to customer service asking for clearer info on a potential resolution…all I got was a we are so sorry and no clear answers.  AHHHH!

Posted by
mell312
Oct 29, 2008 8:25am PDT
mell312

Howdy folks,

It’s true that some older versions of BookSmart seem to interact well with Blogger. However, that successful slurping unfortunately has a shelf life, and is also the result of a bit of luck. Blogger’s API has changed multiple times, and it happens that an older version of BookSmart contains code currently in favor with that blog platform. Next time Blogger makes a change, however, that won’t necessarily be the case. In fact, that’s really the heart of the matter. Changes to a blog platform’s APIs can affect our slurpers, and we’re still trying to get that fixed within BookSmart. In the meantime, we’ve disabled the broken support for Blogger and Wordpress – we’re continuing to work on this though, so stay tuned. I am sorry about that.

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 29, 2008 10:47am PDT
jbates

Everyone is talking about slurping not working for Wordpress or Blogger, but I’m with Livejournal and it slurps, but only up to a certain date – is that because my blog is too big and I’ve chosen the wrong format?!?

I’ve chosen portrait  – why can’t we import a LJ blog into the B*W text option?

Posted by
labradoryte
Oct 29, 2008 2:27pm PDT
labradoryte

Hi Jeremy – thx for your response and this does make sense.  I’m hopeful you will continue to keep your own software up to date with the API from all the blog formats – particularly Blogger which makes up about 90% of my blog conversions.  Without this feature, my prices will need to increase significantly because while I need to reformat almost every page that gets pulled into the software, at least the photos and text are there and I do not need to resort to copy/paste which would be quite time consuming.

Quick tip though for those that aren’t aware.. .if you do need to resort to a copy/paste.. you can just drag/drop the photos from the blog entries right into their containers in Booksmart.. a feature that saved me oodles of time when working on another not supported blog software conversion.

Here’s keeping hope that this can be resolved…. and hoping that 1.97 continues to work forever! 

Posted by
Jingothecat
Oct 30, 2008 7:48am PDT
Jingothecat

Do we know if we will every be able to use our blogger blogs to slurp into Book Smart?  I found some other sites that offer blog books that work with blogger but i’m not sure I want to start over with my book.  Any info on when and if it will every work again?

Posted by
vtabigail
Oct 31, 2008 10:50am PDT
vtabigail

Is there any way you would make the 1.9.7 version of Booksmart availible to download?  I slurped up my blog last night using that version, then decided to start over (I needed to cut 2/3 of the posts out) and deleted the whole thing (it’s a big book—had to keep my hardrive clean).  Then I upgraded and tried to start again, but can’t.  I had no idea the newer version didn’t support Blogger.  So please, please, please—Can I just download the 1.9.7 version so I can make my book?

Posted by
premohopkins
Nov 2, 2008 9:10am PDT
premohopkins

Thanks Jingothecat for the drag/drop tip! That will help a TON! I had my blog slurped through Oct 2nd, so I don’t have too much to copy and paste, but it would be better if I didn’t have to at all!

And I agree, can you just make 1.9.7 available again for download for the times it will slurp blogger blogs? I hope that you can provide blogger support again—at least for my 2009 book!

Posted by
Sarah8914
Nov 2, 2008 2:50pm PDT
Sarah8914

Steverindy posted this link:

http://linuxlore.blogspot.com/2007/09/livejournal-to-blogger-or-blogger-to.html

This works to convert your stuff from blogger to live journal. From there you can upload to blurb.  Took me 10 minutes to convert to live journal.  Easy process.

My frustration is this, if they can fetch the stuff from blogger, why can’t blurb.  This is your business.  You guys are going to go out of business.  If I have to copy and paste I will use another service simply because your booksmart product is not that robust. There are not great layout options, and the bounding for a blog book is not that exciting.  I have had great results from shutterfly, I simply chose blurb because I could download straight from the blog.

Posted by
holliannregg
Nov 2, 2008 8:35pm PDT
holliannregg

So I pulled my stuff from Live Journal into booksmart, but only half of it came.  I was told that Live Journal doesn’t work, and they don’t support it.  It seems to me that "Blurb and Booksmart" don’t work.  This is a problem with your system, not everyone else. 

Posted by
holliannregg
Nov 3, 2008 11:56am PDT
holliannregg

I have to admit I was super disappointed today.  I was planning to start the book I’ve been telling everyone about on my blog only to find Blogger taken of your list. 

It would be helpful to get a bit of a timeline here…is the blog I’ve been making for an entire year (with the intent of being slurped into a 2008 book) going to be able to be made early in the new year, or are we talking a lot longer?  Or never?  PLEASE give some answers and don’t be so vague!

Posted by
sonjav
Nov 3, 2008 4:09pm PDT
sonjav

Correct me if I’m wrong but blog slurpping isn’t working with any blog platform? I have a typepad blog andI was really looking forward to creating a book from my blog before Christmas time. Any idea when the new version of booksmart will be released?The blog to book thing is what really sets you apart from other book making companies. It amazes me that with so much competition out there, you aren’t staying more current to put you above everyone else! Particularly when Typepad is advertising FOR you…

Posted by
khaggerty
Nov 4, 2008 11:26am PDT
khaggerty

I tried to start my blog book only to find that Blogger is not an option as a Blog Source (only Live Journal and Tyepad). What is going on and will I be able to make my blog book? If so, how longer am I going to have to wait to do this? Please, I need some answers!

Posted by
orme23
Nov 4, 2008 2:31pm PDT
orme23

Hi again,

Can anyone tell us when and if blogger is going to be available?  i made two blog books last year and wanted to do more again this year but can’t because blogger isn’t available anymore. I posted a week ago about when and if it would be available to use blogger.  Will it ever work and if not just please let us know.  I have found other sites that work but I really liked how blurb printed out the books.  if the other sites work why can’t blurb.  and for the rest of you who are wanting to do blogger blog books here are the sites i found that downloaded my blog and put it into their books.  I would really like to use blurb to keep my yearly blog books looking the same but I may have to resort to these sites.  especially since it only took a few minutes and they are already done. 

www.scrapbookblogger.com

http://serv.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html
Posted by
vtabigail
Nov 4, 2008 4:07pm PDT
vtabigail

Hi guys (blurbers and staff),

I have been in contact with the guy who has done a very good job of writing the Blog2Blog software which many people have mentioned here. As Holliannregg pointed out, if Blog2Blog can retrieve the data, then there must be a way for Blurb to do it too. You are invited to visit the Blog2Blog discussion group here: http://groups.google.com/group/bloggerDev/browse_thread/thread/6fa01659eb21b0d

This may provide a solution to the current (rather crippling) problem, hopefully the staff will take note.

Colin

Posted by
colinfield
Nov 5, 2008 7:36am PDT
colinfield

The site suggested above worked perfectly and I have my blogger posts in booksmart right now.   It’s a little time consuming to figure out exactly how to export and then import your posts from blogger to livejournal, but I did it and I don’t have to copy and paste all of them one by one.   Thanks for the tip!

Posted by
brindy78
Nov 5, 2008 1:27pm PDT
brindy78

Kathy & Blurb Developers,

Could you please give your audience an update on what your goals are for slurping blogger / blogspot.  Being that it is the largest blog provider, I imagine it is a priority for your team.  Many of us (your loyal users) would like to make books in time for the holidays.  Is this a reasonable expectation?  

Posted by
bohnman
Nov 5, 2008 7:30pm PDT
bohnman

Hi folks,

This thread is getting pretty long. That’s not a bad thing––seeing this kind of participation, even when something goes wrong, is encouraging. Anyway, here are the main points:

—Blogger & Wordpress slurpers have been discontinued indefinitely. Our developers will re-examine these platforms in 2009, but we unfortunately can’t make any promises. This kind of chatter helps our "deciders" determine priorities for our small company, so feel free to keep it up even after this post is locked.

—Typepad *should be* close to back on track. Our developers have been working with theirs, so I *hope* we can post some positive news on that front soon.

—LiveJournal may have changed something on their end, as blog platforms are wont to do. I’m spending the last hour of my shift here at Blurb HQ testing some LiveJournal accounts, and will post my findings as soon as I learn anything useful.

I hope that helps a bit folks. More info coming as soon as we have some!
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Nov 5, 2008 7:57pm PDT
jbates