BookSmart

Locked Cover Layout in Photoshop

I have designed my cover (13×11) in Photoshop using the correct full bleed dimensions noted in one of the forum posts.
I am loading as a 300dpi jpg.
The largest point size is about 175 .Maybe 1 inch in size.
What should I expect in reproduction in comparison to creating the book with the Blurb template.
I do know some have suggested uploading as a png. What will this do to image and type quality.I am using gray scale scans converted to sRGB and type made in Photoshop. Thanks,Steve

Posted by
bwaysteve
Sep 29, 2008 4:08pm PDT
bwaysteve

I can’t comment on the jpeg image as I haven’t done one, but I have made several 11×13 books outside of BookSmart and imported them as bleed pages and they are sharp as a tack.

My workflow:

Create page in Serif PagePlus

Export as PDF

Drag into Photoshop

Export as PNG

Drag onto BookSmart bleed page

Somewhere on this site is a how-to on this approach that I followed.  What I can confirm is that it works very well.

Posted by
deanej
Sep 30, 2008 4:21am PDT
deanej

Hi bwaysteve

Using PNGs for text-heavy images, or images with large-sized text, will help maintain the sharpness of the tex when printed.

Posted by
mikewhy
Sep 30, 2008 5:57pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

On a 13×11 book the title is about 140 pt. a little over 1 inch letters in a Roman font.How will .png affect the photograph compared to a jpg?

Posted by
bwaysteve
Sep 30, 2008 7:06pm PDT
bwaysteve

PNGS are the better choice for text/line art compared to JPGs; with JPGS you’ll possibly get artificacting, which will make the text look less sharp—jagged, or fuzzy round the edges.

Posted by
mikewhy
Oct 1, 2008 9:09am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

I’ve used 116 points in Georgian Bold Italic with five layer styles as a title in a JPEG image for a cover in a 13×11. The cover is a single Photoshop image; I didn’t use the Blurb title space in the template  – my cover printed just fine. However, my books always upload as an ‘untitled’ book and I think this may be because I don’t use the template title space. I have a query into Blurb about this but perhaps somebody knows why the books upload without a title – there is a file title for the book.

Posted by
johnmort
Oct 1, 2008 4:55pm PDT
johnmort

So John how does this affect your page with your published books?Does it just show untitled and a picture of the book with the option to preview 15 pages?

Posted by
bwaysteve
Oct 1, 2008 6:32pm PDT
bwaysteve

After a few abortive attempts to use PageStream to create a PDF for Blurb, I gave PagePlusX4 a try, but still couldn’t export a PDF to the required X3 standard. Then I learned about using BookSmart, and just importing .png images for each page, which PagePlus makes a snap. Everything was AOK till I got to the cover, where I discovered that NONE of the BookSmart templates allow for an image for the spine, and the only way you can get text on the spine is by entering title text for the front cover. Since I am using an image that already has the title imbedded in it and DO NOT want to add any title text for the front, how in heck am I to get a title on the spine<cite>?? Does anyone have a work around for BookSmart’s dumb deficiency in this area?</cite>?

Posted by
rickjnav
Sep 3, 2010 6:27pm PDT
rickjnav

There is no dumb deficiency, it’s a doddle!

The spine in the cover templates has two text boxes, one for the title, one for the author. Like any text box all you have to do is click in it to activate it then type your text (in this case the title).

Then just omit text from any of the text boxes on the cover of your chosen cover template (or delete the text if you have already typed it in). The Book Preview button at the bottom right of the window will take you to a view of how it will print.

A search of the FAQs for "text spine" would have led you to this one which explains this.

The reason there is no capability to put an image on the spine is that the width of the spine will vary according to the number of pages and the type of paper that will be selected,. InDesign at £699 has functionality that supports the Blurb templates in calculating this, BookSmart at £0 has not.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 4, 2010 12:18am PDT
tfrankland