BookSmart

Image Wrap

I created a new project and chose image wrap for the cover.  When I began creating the book the cover layout for for a dust jacket.  How do I change it to an image wrap cover layout??

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dverdick
Oct 4, 2008 7:04pm PDT
dverdick

Since the type of book – softcover, hardcover w/dust jacket, hardcover w/image wrap – is determined when you buy the book, the templates for the cover are ‘generic’ and are usable for all three.  The only thing you need to remember is that the flaps will only be printed on orders for a hardcover w/dust jacket.  If you change your mind after you upload your book and decide you want a hardcover w/dust jacket, the flaps will be blank, with the same background color as your cover.

Hope that helps!

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Oct 4, 2008 7:44pm PDT
rbgool

Thank you Regi, so what you are saying is that once I go to order my final book I can choose image wrap at that time? Will I still be able to have an image on the back cover along with text?

Posted by
dverdick
Oct 5, 2008 11:50am PDT
dverdick

Yes…to both!  Once you upload the book, you will have the option to select whatever cover choice you prefer.  However, you cannot design seperate covers for each type of book – the same cover design will be used on each of the book types – the only exception being that the information on the flaps of the dust jacket will be ‘dropped’ for the softcover and image wrap books.

As for the image on the back cover and text…just a couple of comments/observations.  Yes, no matter which cover format you choose, you will be able to put an image and text on the back cover as well as the front cover.  If you are planning on doing the image wrap book – be sure to avoid putting any important detail or text near the edges.  The cover will be ‘stretched’ a bit so that it will wrap around the cover.  I don’t recall the exact amount, but I think you’ll be safe if you stay within 1/4".  The other observation…some printers put a barcode on the back cover to help with packaging and shipping.  I believe there was a post about this elsewhere (but I couldn’t locate it just now) that went into a bit more detail about its location.  If you’re putting pictures and text on the back, I would try to keep important detail toward the top of the page.

Hope that helps!

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Oct 5, 2008 4:40pm PDT
rbgool