BookSmart

Locked "technical glitch"

After making my first book successfully, I went on to the second and I was nearly finished until the message “technical glitch” keeps popping up, usually only 30 seconds after opening the application. Any solutions? I tried booksmart’s help email but the emails keep getting bounced back to me.

Posted by
merygal
Oct 9, 2008 11:19am PDT
merygal

You are not alone.  I have been trying to submit a bug but tmy emails keep getting bounced. And I am putting my  response between the arrows. I will NOT use this software again.

Posted by
mweeks
Oct 9, 2008 1:14pm PDT
mweeks

Sorry you’re both having problems. If you haven’t been able to successfully send email via the BookSmart application, you can always contact our Support staff through our Technical Support form. You’ll hear back from someone in less than 24 hours.

Posted by
JackLyon
Oct 9, 2008 4:18pm PDT
JackLyon

I have tried using your technical support form but I have had no progress made.  I began having this issue yesterday afternoon and first sent an error report and technical support form then.

Posted by
merygal
Oct 9, 2008 5:33pm PDT
merygal

My version of Blurb kept crashing with the ‘technical glitch’ problem as soon as the software tried to load. I have since uninstalled it, reinstalled, rebooted, unistalled, then reinstalled again with the alternative method. Nothing is working. I am working on three books and have contacted the technical support staff too. Have you had a satisfactory reply yet to the problem – a reply that solved the problem?
Do you know how to run a crash report ( I think it’s a txt. file) to send to Blurb so they can see what’s happening?

Posted by
cmoorhead
Oct 20, 2008 5:29am PDT
cmoorhead

Howdy,

Yes, please do send Customer Support a crash report. You can paste into your inquiry the first 2 paragraphs of the most recent log____.txt file found in your BookSmartData folder. Customer Support can then respond with specific recommendations.

Thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 20, 2008 9:44am PDT
jbates

I can’t tell you how frustrated I am with this programme. I finished my book and did some minor editing, intent on ordering the next day. When I tried to open up my profile, I got the technical glitch error others appear to have received. I tried installing the newest version. No dice. Worst of all, when I tried to contact support, my emails have largely been ignored. This has been going on for more than a month. The only reply I did receive made no sense; when I emailed for a better explanation I was, again seemingly ignored.

I cannot believe how poor the service has been. Has ANYONE gotten any reply? Anyone?

I spent bloody hours on this book.

Posted by
Malleus
Oct 23, 2008 6:36pm PDT
Malleus

Hi Malleus,

There is clearly something wrong here. No emails are ignored, and it’s terrible when communication problems like this occur. I am sorry you feel you’ve been left hanging. If we don’t answer an inquiry submitted through www.blurb.com/help with 1 business day then something is going awry, technically (specifically either our responses or your inquiries are somehow going to spam).

I do see you wrote Customer Support once and they responded with a request for you to send them your files. Please note that submitting a crash report is not the same as contacting customer support; crash reports go to a database, whereas messages sent through blurb.com/help go to Customer Support Reps. A rep had looked up your crash after you wrote in on 10/12, and, after searching through crash reports for your email address, found the problem responsible for your crash.

The problem is something Customer Support can fix, which is why they solicited your files. I am sorry you seem not to have received that message. I am sending the instructions again now. If you don’t see them within a few minutes, please check your spam box. If you still don’t see the instructions after that, please submit a new ticket by clicking here, and we will try a different method of replying to your inquiry. 

Folks at home, the vast majority of people get fast, immediate help. If you’re not getting a response, please do not assume any messages are being ignored. That doesn’t happen, ever. Please simply submit a new inquiry and let Customer Support know you haven’t heard from anyone.

Best regards and thank you for hanging in there,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 24, 2008 4:29pm PDT
jbates

Hi Jeremy. Thank you for your response.

I haven’t received any messages as yet, aside from the one asking for me to send my files (which I’m afraid I didn’t understand and asked for an explanation). I checked my spam box as well and there was nothing there either.

I’m not sure what could be causing the problem. Evidently at least one of my messages and one of your messages did manage to get through, but I’ve sent others that received no response and you say that they were never received in the first place, which I accept.

I’ll try resending the ticket.

Posted by
Malleus
Oct 25, 2008 10:11am PDT
Malleus

I wrote earlier complaining about poor service. As it turns out the issue wasn’t that my emails were being ignored, but that they were not getting through. That issue has now been resolved.

I’d like to now take back my complaint and apologize for the original accusation of poor service, because based upon my very positive experience dealing with Jeremy, I can categorically state that support is first rate. I think Jeremy went above and beyond the call of duty (please excuse the cliche) in his efforts to resolve my problem, something he did very quickly and efficiently. The programme is now working beautifully as a result of Jeremy’s efforts on my behalf.

As excellent as the support was, I’m even more thankful for the attitude of Jeremy. Given the tone of my first post here, I wouldn’t blame him if he were curt with me. Far from it. He was genuinely sympathetic to my frustrations and did his best to alleviate those frustrations.

Thank you very much for all your work. It is truly appreciated.

Posted by
Malleus
Oct 27, 2008 8:58pm PDT
Malleus

I downloaded Booksmart succesfully and started and almost finished my book.  I am trying to get into the program to finish but each time I click on the book it pulls it up and boots me off.  What do I do???

Posted by
Larsie
Oct 29, 2008 12:57pm PDT
Larsie

I am 24 hours new to Blurb/.Booksmart, have had my software crash on me repeatedly the past hour and—after reading the postings here (and elsewhere on the web about glitches/errors—I am sad to report that I will be going elsewhere for my modest book/blog project.

Posted by
jfheenan
Nov 12, 2008 3:06am PDT
jfheenan

Hello jfheenan;

For these issues you should contact Blurb tech support directly… the are VERY good at responding…

This is a user form. If you post a specific question, we can try & help you out, but a "generic" along the lines you describe doesn’t help!

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 12, 2008 9:45am PDT
lkb-28

<h4>I cannot retrieve any of my books and I only have unedited copies of my books.  However I just purchast one for 46.00 I need my edite version of my books how do  I retrieve them. Theresa Maxwell</h4>
Posted by
Theresamax
Nov 12, 2008 11:21am PDT
Theresamax

Thanks, Lee. Much appreciated!

Jan

Posted by
jfheenan
Nov 12, 2008 11:38pm PDT
jfheenan

This seems to be a very common problem; it would save the time of the Blurb employees if an easy fix or suggestion was posted on this site – that way far less emails would have to be read through and replied to, and it would be easier and faster for customers to get the answers the need. I have searched long and hard for the answer but it seems the only way I can get a resolution to the issue is if I wait 1 business day to get an email; time I would much rather be spending on my book, and perhaps could, if there was a quick fix posted online.

Posted by
Ellie_Boyce
Dec 13, 2012 10:52pm PDT
Ellie_Boyce