BookSmart

Book has disappeared

After hours of loading photos and weeks of pulling this together, I’ve just gone back into my book tonight and it’s disappeared.  I’ve loaded about 30-40 pages and it just isn’t there.  When I open the application it just gave me the option of starting a new book and not retrieving any.  Gutted!  Anyone have any ideas on how I could retrieve it.  It was fine last night when I saved it and came out.  Today it’s gone!!!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
claireyoung
Oct 13, 2008 1:09pm PDT
claireyoung

Howdy,

Sorry to hear that. No fear; your book is there. 

Please try the following (and if this doesn’t work, please contact Customer Support)

Please start a new book in BookSmart called "TestTitle" or something like that. Then, run a search to see where BookSmart has created the TestTitle folder. It’s possible you changed the directory to another area of your computer now that BookSmart allows that option.

You’ll want to place your old book project folders (run a search for the names of those projects on your computer to find those folders) , which should have the same name as your book, alongside the "TestTitle" folder (within the same BookSmartData folder). Then open BookSmart, select OPEN BOOK and your old project should be on the list of projects to open.

Again, if that doesn’t work, please contact Customer Support directly.

Thanks for hanging in there,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 13, 2008 1:22pm PDT
jbates

I am having the same issue with no result.  I created a test book.  Located it in Windows explorer.  Copied my existing book to the same file path and it still only pulls up the test book.  What am I doing wrong. I have changed the Library location and it still does not show the book.  I’ve double clicked on the .book file in explorer and it only pulls up booksmart.  I’d hate to think I’ve lost this book.

Posted by
aligobs
Oct 23, 2008 1:50pm PDT
aligobs

OK, to anyone that’s listening.  Here’s how I resolved this issue.  I created the test book.  Located it in my directory in my explorer.  Then I opened up each one of the files for the new book (the .book, .backup etc) and I cut the contents out of each of those and replaced it with the content from my book using WordPad.  I then deleted the library folder of the new book and moved the library folder from my book and then ran BookSmart again.  It showed it had no kb under the test book BUT when I clicked on it to open, lo and behold all my stuff was back.  Painful, but short of not knowing an easier way to do it this seemed to work fine.

Posted by
aligobs
Oct 23, 2008 2:08pm PDT
aligobs

Hey Jeremy!

THANK GOD FOR YOU!   The same thing happened to me.   For some reason when I moved the folder to my "stuff" folder it lost the ability to find it.

I’ve found the folder either way, but now I don’t know which file to open to get my latest version of book.

Can you help me with that?

Desperate Mommy!

Posted by
super__fly
Oct 27, 2008 5:07pm PDT
super__fly

Hi Desperate Mommy,

We’d be happy to help you access your files again. Please write in to Customer Support directly and include a link to this thread in your message. 

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 27, 2008 6:22pm PDT
jbates