BookSmart

Locked Program working REALLY SLOW!!! Help

I have just downloaded the software and pulled in about 100 pictures. Everything has slowed to snail pace. Am I doing something wrong? Can I increase the speed because otherwise there is no way I’m going to try doing this!!
Am using a MAC 2.1GHz G5
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Chava

Posted by
Alcester5ed
Oct 13, 2008 3:11pm PDT
Alcester5ed

I’m in the same boat.

Just started with the cover and it’s already beginning to grind.
All apps are now running slow as a result.

I don’t want to go ahead if it’s going to get increasingly worse, but I hope it’s something that can be tweaked.

Mac G4 800Mhz

Here’s hoping!

Posted by
_SiD_
Oct 17, 2008 8:31am PDT
_SiD_

Howdy folks,

I’m sorry to report that Power PC Macs (e.g. G4s, G5s) will indeed run BookSmart slowly. Intel Macs and PCs run the program faster. I wish I had better news to tell you, and I do hope you can access an Intel Mac or a Windows machine in the near future.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 17, 2008 9:32am PDT
jbates

I;m on a Windows machine. It’s still oppressingly slow.

Posted by
venacom
Oct 17, 2008 12:00pm PDT
venacom

The program is a Java app, so it’ll never be as fast as a native application. However, the number 1 way to improve performance speed is to optimize your image sizes before loading them into BookSmart. It’ll chug and chew away on overly large images. Please click here for more info.

Posted by
jbates
Oct 17, 2008 4:24pm PDT
jbates

Maybe you should say this straight up – before I sat for an hour downloading it and installing (very slow connection here).

I’m not giving up on the the whole ‘blurb thing’ but it would have been nice to know in advance.

I’ll probably do it in Quark and import on a PC – but I think that’s another can of worms.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Best

S

Posted by
_SiD_
Oct 18, 2008 7:50am PDT
_SiD_

aherm, i used a PC and closed all other apps down and mine still ran slower than a snail with arthritis.

took several hours to get all the pics in and then manipulate them to the way i waned, it was all very stop start and you need the patience of a saint.

the pc’s run better is just not correct!

Posted by
mariannemarl
Oct 22, 2008 1:12pm PDT
mariannemarl

Is there any hope for getting this thing up and running again? I am almost experiencing physical pain at the excruciating slowness. I feel like it would be faster to start scrapbooking. Should I just give up, because I have a lot to do and this is ridiculous. Unless you guys have a patch coming out to speed this up I’ll never get done. Please tell me there is some hope! I was having so much fun working with Blurb :(

Posted by
chrisnemq05
Oct 24, 2008 3:24am PDT
chrisnemq05

Hi all,

Optimizing images ahead of loading them into BookSmart really is crucial for efficient performance (especially as more consumer digicams have 10, 12, 18 megapixels). Please click here for more information.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 24, 2008 11:00am PDT
jbates

I uploaded all of my pictures that potentially be used, about 1400 pics, and they have an average size of 3000 X 2000 (I shot them all at 6.2 mp). I am using them for everything from full page to 1-1/2 X 1-1/2. Blurb runs so slowly that I can get maybe two pages done per night before I get frustrated and quit. My 40-60 page book is going to take a month to finish at this rate.

Please explain "optimizing" a bit more, this is frustrating.

Posted by
tiarossi
Oct 29, 2008 6:35pm PDT
tiarossi

"optimizing" refers to re-sizing your photos to the size of the image container you will be using in Booksmart.  For example, using a 10×8 book, a full-page bleed container is 2888×2475 pixels and the page with 9 photos on it, each picture container is 692×625 pixels.  So to optimize your photos, you should resize your 3000×2000 photos to 2888×2475 for the full page bleed, and 692×625 for the page of 9. 

Hope that helps,

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Oct 29, 2008 7:28pm PDT
rbgool

I’m on a Mac, and this is almost impossible to use. Constant crashes and freezes, and long wait in even the most simple layout. I’ve only got to page 15 and I just can’t go on.

Someone kindly bought me a gift certificate to make a Blurb book, and I had no idea it wouldn’t work on a mac. Is anyone going to fix this?

I’m going to have to contact the gifter to see if they can use it themselves. This is very disappointing, I do think you should state upfront that it wont work

Posted by
kathyprints
Apr 11, 2009 6:23am PDT
kathyprints

Although I’ve made a few comments about Booksmart being slow, I loaded Booksmart onto a friend’s 64 Bit AMD 64 Dual Core PC with 3 GB of RAM, and all I can say is that it worked perfectly!

So I’m thinking that as a Booksmart User who is working on Booksmart Full-Time, I need a high-end spec machine, which, of course, I am relying on my first 250 books to pay for.

So in practical terms, maybe those who find it slow need to upgrade their workstations ~ which is the conclusion that I am applying to myself as well.

Posted by
Cwmbraic
Apr 13, 2009 8:10am PDT
Cwmbraic

You’re kiddin, right?

Posted by
ebwest
Apr 13, 2009 2:17pm PDT
ebwest

Howdy all,

Just to address a comment above: BookSmart absolutely works on Macs, which is what many if not most of us here at Blurb HQ use every day. If BookSmart isn’t performing properly on your computer, and your computer happens to be a Mac, please don’t assume that’s the root of the issue. Even if you’ve done it recently, please run Software Update again (some updates must stack serially) and restart afterward. Also, please ensure you’ve got 10GB of free hard drive space available in order to allow for the use of virtual memory.

If performance doesn’t improve, it could be that the Mac is an older Power PC based machine (G4 or G5), in which case I’d recommend transferring your project to an Intel Mac or a Windows computer. Newer Intel Macs should run BookSmart well, and if that’s not the case for you, there may be an issue in the file. If you’ve got an image heavy book, you’ll want to double-check that no image file exceeds 15MB nor has a short-side dimension of over 4000 pixels. Optimizing image size can definitely speed up performance. 

If you’re working on a text-heavy book, the issue could be long text flows (text containers linked from page to page to page to page…) that demand constant recalculations. The solution there would be to re-paste text as shorter passages that flow between fewer, if any, pages

If none of these tips address the issue, and you’re definitely on an Intel-based Mac, then please contact Customer Support, as BookSmart should be running smoothly for you.

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Apr 13, 2009 2:48pm PDT
jbates

That’s really not much help to those of us with G4’s, is it – to transfer to another computer?
Sadly i don’t have a choice of other computers available.
So I just have to give up on the whole project and return the gift?

Posted by
kathyprints
Apr 13, 2009 11:54pm PDT
kathyprints

For those of us with older Macs, a good tack is to max out RAM (now cheap) buy a faster System drive (also cheap) and upgrade the GPU (not as cheap and maybe harder to find) but still taken altogether you can improve overall system performance and keep the machine viable for another year or two or three.

My first generation PowerMac G5 dual 2.0GHz is now at 6GB RAM, a fast new WD Caviar Black 1TB system drive ($110) and has a Radeon X800XT video card. Updating now to Leopard 10.5.8. I find my system to be pretty darn good at running most anything I throw at it — including Photoshop CS4, Aperture 2 and the latest version of Booksmart.

Completely workable IMO.

Plus definitely follow Jeremy’s advice of optimizing your images for the book.

Posted by
meridian
Aug 7, 2009 5:48pm PDT
meridian

TRY THIS: Do not import your photos as a group into BookSmart. Collect them in a folder in your photo program. Leave it open alongside your book: drag and drop each photo as you go. Use the tools in booksmart to size & position photo in frame. I’ve done several photo books this way on an aging HP Pavilion – no slow problems! Used photos directly out of the camera – no manipulation except touch ups, if needed.

Posted by
bomoore
Aug 13, 2009 5:03pm PDT
bomoore

Slowness is only one of my problems. When I click on a photo or text container to make image smaller or larger  w/the tool at top of pg, the pg either zooms so big I can’t see all of it or it shrinks to miniscule size. I’ve already been doing whast jbates suggested. I load one photo at a time. The photo has already been edited to fit the dimensions in the container. I work on an HP w/tons of memory. I was having a problem w/the entire computer being slow but the modem was the culprit & has been fixed. I’ve contacted Support twice. They told me to download the patch. I’ve downloaded it twice & didn’t help at all. I’ve emailed Support again-no response.

Posted by
loricherokee
Aug 14, 2009 12:08pm PDT
loricherokee