BookSmart

Locked Our BookSmart 1.9.9 release is all about our new 5x8 B/W Text option

We’re super excited to announce the release of BookSmart 1.9.9. You can now make black and white books with our 5×8 B/W Text option and import text with our new text importer feature.

As usual, we’re letting folks in the forums know first to get your feedback before we announce it to the masses. So, here’s what’s new with BookSmart 1.9.9:

5×8 B/W Text sports full-color covers in our standard formats: ImageWrap, Hardcover with Dust Jackets, and Softcover. The interior pages print up to 440 pages in B/W on 60# (90gsm) off-white text paper. If you’re looking to get your next great novel into print, this book size was made for you. Prices for this new book size start at $4.95.

Our new text importer – specific to 5×8 B/W Text only – works with .doc files, grabbing all of your text formatting (font, size, italics, etc) and importing it as is into BookSmart. Paragraphs (breaks and justification), page breaks, and section breaks (odd, even, next, continuous) are all preserved and get imported as well. If you set up your files correctly in advance, you can get a pretty good idea of how long your book will be when you import your text into BookSmart. You can also add your images/charts/graphs/maps in BookSmart as you would a standard book.

We have a lot of new FAQs to help you import your text files, so just enter “textimport” into our FAQ search engine, and get started.

And that’s what BookSmart 1.9.9 is all about. It’s our last release of the year, and we cannot wait to see what kinds of 5×8 books start popping up in the bookstore. And like always, let us know what you think here in the forums!

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 16, 2008 4:19pm PDT
kathybad

I’m delighted to know that we now have another option to publish a book! :) Thanks!

Posted by
dianehong
Oct 21, 2008 7:44pm PDT
dianehong

Thanks you! Any chance of adding  duotone illustrations to this format? Like drawings?

Posted by
amirko
Oct 22, 2008 6:08am PDT
amirko

Hi amirko,

Drawings, yes. Duotone, not quite. There are image containers in the new 5×8 templates, but all images will be converted to black & white.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 22, 2008 12:19pm PDT
jbates

I’m currently working on a book in InDesign that I plan to import into BookSmart. The FAQ regarding page specs states that I should set the cover at 1663×2550 px – 5.282×8.5 inches and the interior pages at 2063×2076 px – 6.877×6.92 inches. Why are the interior pages bigger? Am I reading something wrong?

Posted by
waitenn
Oct 22, 2008 8:55pm PDT
waitenn

It sounds wonderful to have the better quality paper!  Just one question here.  I’ve almost finished working in BookSmart 1.9.8. on a book that was going to be approximately 200 pages.  However, I see that to get the new paper quality I would need to scale back to 160 pages.  Not a problem….however, since the new paper is only availabe on the most recent download of BookSmart (1.9.9??) does that mean I would have to start the book all over again in order to get the higher quality paper?

Posted by
Chronicler
Oct 23, 2008 7:00am PDT
Chronicler

Howdy folks,

Regarding premium paper, you choose the paper type upon checkout. You don’t need the latest version of BookSmart, and certainly wouldn’t have to reconstruct your book either way. Please simply upload and order a revised version of your project! 

As for the previous question regarding dimensions, that does appear fishy… Thank you for bringing that up. Please check that page again tomorrow; looks like it might need updating.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 23, 2008 9:44am PDT
jbates

Hello,

Has the text editing function been fixed? When I try moving any text arround in  version 1.9.8 keeps loosing characters, adding blank lines and changing font size. 

Artemis 

Posted by
artami
Oct 23, 2008 9:53am PDT
artami

Does it handle footnotes as done in Word (.doc)? I would rather like to have my MA thesis as a book.

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Oct 24, 2008 3:06pm PDT
AnnetteJones

Kathy, I think Blurb has a brilliant idea with the addition of the new text-book b&W format for some. Especially as the BookSmart text tools are so disfunctional. However, I naively updated to v 1.9.9 for my next photos-and-text book only to find as the others have that it now blocks PC Windows thumbnails preventing the selection of photos for layouts. Totally disfinctional too!! Disaster.

Hope this is being attended to urgently, as well as the text tools. I could write a book on the latter; a Blurb book I would hope  :-)

P

Posted by
peteshep
Oct 29, 2008 4:52pm PDT
peteshep

I.e.: 1.9.9 is not "All about" the new format, but destroying the other photo formats.

P

Posted by
peteshep
Oct 29, 2008 4:54pm PDT
peteshep

Hi all,

Footnotes can be added into caption fields manually, but won’t auto-import with the rest of the Word document (which had to be kept stable and simple).

As for the thumbnails not showing through the Get Photos dialog box, that is indeed annoying. We’ve logged that hiccup for fixing. In the meantime, you’ll want to open a File Explorer window (via My Documents, My Computer or right-clicking on START and selecting Explore) and drag/drop images into BookSmart. I know this isn’t ideal, but it truly shouldn’t take too much, if any, more time.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Oct 29, 2008 6:00pm PDT
jbates

Thumbnails:

Thanks Jeremy. Appreciated!

P

Posted by
peteshep
Oct 29, 2008 7:37pm PDT
peteshep

I just made public a 5X8 B/W book with a soft cover. A photo appears on page 2, the copyright page. When I previewed the book, I was surprised to see this photo, in color, on the inside of the back cover. http://www.blurb.com/books/399895
I was told in another forum that this would occur with a dust jacket.

I wanted to let Blurb know that this is happening and may be a glitch in the preview programming for this particular arrangement of book type, page, and photograph.

I am very happy with my first attempt. I shall be doing another book soon.

Best to all.

Posted by
Fabini
Nov 1, 2008 8:33am PDT
Fabini

I noticed once I downloaded the new version that I can’t slurp my blogger blog. Is this something you plan on updating and fixing in the near future?

Posted by
the_royalfam
Nov 1, 2008 10:17pm PDT
the_royalfam

I’m having a terrible time using 1.9.9.

Though a rectangle is delineated on each page for text, when I preview my book, I see that either part of a word or an entire word is hanging far out into the right margin at least once on nearly every page (the text is supposed to be justified).

Anyone else having this problem?

Posted by
madonna1970
Nov 5, 2008 1:59pm PDT
madonna1970

What’s the deal with tabs in this new format? They are crazy and all over the place! I just downloaded the new version tonight to play around with my MA thesis like I said I planned to. OK so I get that it won’t do footnotes, they are a tad tricky I guess. But please do something to sort out the tabs! I like my paragraphs first line indented, which does not seem to be an option [if it is please please tell me how to find it!] so I thought never mind I’ll use tab. On the first bit I tried it looked fine, but then on another page the tab was huge, too large, ugly in my opinion, and anyway, a different size to the other one! So I give up and use spaces instead. OK, pain the butt but I can manage. Then I try to sort my contents page. I guess that’s why you have a layout with a big left and a small right, for chapter headings and page numbers, which I shall use now I have had to give up on my preference for having "Chapter 1 [tab] Introduction [tab] page number" so its all nicely lined up. But there seems to be no way to do this because the tabs are different sizes on different lines!!! So I have to lose the "Chapter 1" part and just go with titles.

It’s not ideal having space as the only way to make the text look nice! Please sort out tabs so they line up and are not too big. And/or have some paragraph formatting such as spacing between paragraphs and first line indent. Also I would more options for putting a pic or fig into the text. I know it’s a text format, but it is still nice to be able to place a fig or pic, given that you allow this please have more options, such as a small one in the corner with text wrapping round it, or two on the same page – useful for comparisons.

Other than that it seems to work so far anyway and thanks for giving us this new format to play with :)

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 10, 2008 3:23pm PDT
AnnetteJones

As for footnotes, the chapter I imported when I began the project correctly included the superscript numbers so I could easily add the notes themselves as endnotes. But then I wanted to do another chapter and couldn’t find an option to import one – is there such a thing? Or do you have to know when you begin what you want and put them all in at once [which I would worry might take too long and/or crash so tend to prefer the piecemeal option, this was a test so I would do it all together next time] So I used copy / paste and it seems to have not included any of the little numbers.

Also the original is in double space as that’s how I had to hand it in, the original import changed it all to single line space, but the copy / paste version kept the line spacing, except the first para, which was single spaced. Just thought other people might like to know these little vagaries!

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 10, 2008 3:48pm PDT
AnnetteJones

Aaargh! I tried a new one, importing all five chapters, which are separate word docs, and it just didn’t put in chapter one! Try again!

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 10, 2008 4:00pm PDT
AnnetteJones

So I tried again and it did the same thing again, then I tried again but selecting all five chapters in one go using the shift select, this time it put chap 5 first, still lost most of chap one and then had 2, 3 and 4 in the right order. Will now try adding them in reverse order and rearranging them. If that doesn’t work then I just don’t know, as copy paste just doesn’t pick up thise footnotes. Might have to have the footnotes in square brackets instead of superscript, but that’s not so nice looking.Frown

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 10, 2008 4:07pm PDT
AnnetteJones

Well, I resaved some of the files and they are now all imported, with their superscript numbers. Oddly, it seems to have included an extra page before each chapter with its file name on, but that’s easily removed. Phew! Just need to tidy up and see if it’s all present and correct!

Sorry if all these posts are annoying, just thought the feedback might be useful for anyone.

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 10, 2008 4:16pm PDT
AnnetteJones

Well, the tidying up seemed to go OK last night, except it had left outt he Bibliography, except that went in fine on copy / paste. But this morning I found I had missed just one paragraph break and now I have widows and orphans all over the shop! [I think that’s the correct term for those annoying single lines of a paragraph that get left on the previous page or pushed onto the next one.] Word automatically sorts them out, it would be nice if Booksmart did! I don’t actually know what I am going to do with them as this chapter is just horrible, if I get rid of one it creates another on a later page. It is not possible to sort them out manually because the only way to do that would be to have a double paragraph break somewhere, which would be rather obvious. The only way to get rid of them is to actually rephrase bits of my text, which I would rather not do as I just wanted to print as it was marked. Or just put up with them, but I find them visually annoying.

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 11, 2008 6:28am PDT
AnnetteJones

Also, a comment on one of the layouts. The second picture layout, a large square with a caption. There is loads of blank space on this layout, so why does the caption have to be just one line?! Even with size 10 and size 8 Times New Roman I can only fit one line! Really annoying and for no reason!

I’m really glad you brought out this new layout, so I hope you find these comments helpful and constructive rather than just whingeing. After all this is a beta test so I assume feedback is wanted.

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 11, 2008 6:52am PDT
AnnetteJones

Well, I finished and uploaded that project, then returned to an older one, a book of poems where some of the text is on top of the pictures in a nice shape, following the lines of the picture. What has the new version done to this?! I thought it would be OK as the poems are all on separate pages and don’t flow between pages. But no! I don’t even understand how it has gone wrong to correct it! Have the text boxes been made slightly smaller?

So I was trying to correct one which had sent a couple of lines onto the next page where previously it had all fitted on the one page [one line maybe, but 2? odd] and as I was deleting bits of space to get them back, the formatting of some earlier lines changed so it no longer lined up with the shape of the picture, so I did undo and then it crashed so I sent the error report. Then opened up and tried again, the formatting had corrected, but there was still a lone on the next page, so I do the same thing to bring it back, the formatting goes wrong again, I press undo and the formatting does not revert, I press undo again, still wrong, then there are no more undos!!! So my poem has just gone horrible. I see why some people are having trouble! I do have backups on the laptop and could just send those from another computer, it’s not the end of my world or anything, just weird. And annoying. But mostly I don’t understand it, did the text boxes really shrink or what?

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 11, 2008 7:22am PDT
AnnetteJones

No, I found out what went wrong! It changed the layout. They were in the very large picture but not full bleed with a large text box over it, but they changed to the full bleed with a large text box over it, but that text box is slightly smaller than the other one. So that’s what happened, but it isn’t supposed to!

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 11, 2008 7:25am PDT
AnnetteJones

So has anyone any idea what the maximum word count one might expect in a 440 page Booksmart book? I am working on an adolescent historical fiction novel. At this point the only illustration I am contemplating would be a drawing for book cover. I estimate that there will be close to 30,000 words.

Posted by
poppatbone
Nov 20, 2008 12:00pm PDT
poppatbone

In the faqs is some info about what page size to set word to for importation [it does import if you don’t do this coz I didn’t] but I assume this gives word the same dimensions as the blurb book pages? Please correct me if I’m wrong someone! If it does, then you can see how many pages it will be.

Posted by
AnnetteJones
Nov 21, 2008 6:57am PDT
AnnetteJones

Love the concept love the layout etc.

I created a book and cannot export or backup a copy for some reason. The dialog box just doesnt show up when I select the option. 

Posted by
TheBeanTeam
Nov 21, 2008 2:33pm PDT
TheBeanTeam

Another problem I am having and it may link to the oither problem is that when I uploaded teh text from word it picked up the word Prologue for the name of the book. I cannot rename the book for some reason. Each time I try it renames it Prologue with a variation.

Posted by
TheBeanTeam
Nov 21, 2008 2:36pm PDT
TheBeanTeam

Howdy TheBeanTeam,

For any unexpected file behavior like this, please contact Customer Support. Feel free to include a link to this thread so the rep knows I’ve asked you to write in.

Support should be able to get this working better for you.

Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Nov 21, 2008 2:57pm PDT
jbates

Ya know, I’m havin’ problems with paragraph indentions too. My word documents import fine except that all the tab info is gone. Each paragraph starts justified all the way to the right. Is there a style setting I can switch to get paragraph indentions, or is that just a bug?

Thanks for the B&W text template by the way…can’t wait to start ordering.

-zipwarlock

Posted by
zipwarlock
Nov 22, 2008 2:28am PDT
zipwarlock

Sorry…meant to say “justified left.”

Dur.

Posted by
zipwarlock
Nov 22, 2008 10:09pm PDT
zipwarlock

I’ve just tangled with this – no indents at the start of a paragraph, and no way of putting them in satisfactorily, EVEN if one is prepared to do each manually.

It’s hugely discouraging to realize this problem has been known about for three months and Blurb have not yet fixed it.

Posted by
Xantilor
Jan 18, 2009 4:58am PDT
Xantilor

Hey all,

Yep, that’s definitely a bit of a headache. I know the developers have addressed indentation support in some fashion, and tab functionality should soon be restored. Once the next release of BookSmart is issued, we’ll see what we can improve on next. Thanks all for your feedback.

Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Jan 18, 2009 4:35pm PDT
jbates

The tab/indent issue for me is nearing the deal-breaker stage. If Booksmart 2.0 doesn’t address this properly, I will in all likelihood go to a different publisher. That’s my 2¢.

Posted by
Fabini
Jan 19, 2009 7:22am PDT
Fabini

can i print that size in premium paper?

Posted by
mariomacilau
Apr 15, 2010 12:02pm PDT
mariomacilau

If you go to the Pricing and Shipping page (via the menu item on the right of this page, near the top) you can select a book size and see what options are available. Premium paper is not an option for this size book.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 15, 2010 12:25pm PDT
tfrankland