BookSmart

Locked unable to get thumbnails when importing pictures

I just installed ver. 1.9.9 and I am now not able to view my pictures as thumbnails when I use Get Photos.  I was using ver 1.9.7 installed last May with few glitches.  At least I could see my pictures as thumbnails with the previous version.  I am basically at a standstill because I really have too many pictures to deal with to have to use the file names when I import. 

I am running XP Pro-  and I have already re-installed twice and rebooted each time with the same results.  WHen I open folders within Windows Explorer I am able to see the thumbnails.  It is only from the Blurb software this inability to see thumbnails occurs.  And it occurs whether the pictures are located on my thumb drive or on my hard drive.

Any Suggestions? -  If not, how can I get the old version back?  I want to finish these 2 books.

THanks in advance.   Loralee

Posted by
LoraleeJ
Oct 25, 2008 8:32pm PDT
LoraleeJ

Hi there

No help I am afraid, but I am experiencing the same problem, and I am under a dead line for my book too.  Someone please help!  I wish I had kept the old version!

Posted by
vjv0224
Oct 26, 2008 6:22am PDT
vjv0224

Hi,

I have already posted for this issue. Blurb’s team is working on this issue.

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/4073

Hope we will have an update shortly .

Regards,

Olivier

Posted by
hpstraits
Oct 26, 2008 7:15am PDT
hpstraits

It would be nice if Blurb would at least post the OLD version so we could uninstall the new and re-install the old.  I have the old version on my other system BUT cannot find the install file (if there was one.)                        

So, Blurb-  How about at least giving us a quick fix here (post the old version) so we can go backward and get our projects done?

Posted by
LoraleeJ
Oct 26, 2008 7:19am PDT
LoraleeJ

I think I understand your problem. You may have already tried this; if you are in edit mode, at the top under View; check and see if Library Content has a check mark beside of it. If not checkmark it and you should be able to see your thumbnails on the left side. If you still can’t see them try this, at the bottom of the screen under the page layouts you may see 3 small dots. Drag those toward the top of the screen and then you should see your thumbnails.

Hope this helps.

Posted by
DimpleLou
Oct 26, 2008 7:37am PDT
DimpleLou

"it would be nice if Blurb would at least post the OLD version so we could uninstall the new and re-install the old.  I have the old version on my other system BUT cannot find the install file (if there was one.)"            

I have the old version and I have already tried to downgrade but it did not solved as it is impossible to load your book after. Booksmart said that this book has been created with a newer version and I had  to upgrade to the latest one. Once you’ve install a new version, you can’t downgraded anymore. (maybe there is a solution to this issue).

Regards,

Olivier

Posted by
hpstraits
Oct 27, 2008 3:41am PDT
hpstraits

Thanks for the help, alas no use.  Please, Blurb help!!!!

Posted by
vjv0224
Oct 27, 2008 7:04am PDT
vjv0224

I too am having this same problem and it is very frustrating.  I was using the 1.9.8 version and was able to view my thumbnails before I uploaded them.  The second I upgraded is when the ability to view my images as a thumbnail disappeared.  I would like to make some books for Christmas so please, please, please fix the bug.  Thanks..

Posted by
MDossat
Nov 5, 2008 4:22pm PDT
MDossat

Hi folks,

Just re-posting the following answer here (pasted from the 1.9.9 thread):

Regarding the thumbnails not showing through the Get Photos dialog box, that is indeed annoying. We’ve logged that hiccup for fixing. In the meantime, you’ll want to open a File Explorer window (via My Documents, My Computer or right-clicking on START and selecting Explore) and drag/drop images into BookSmart. I know this isn’t ideal, but it truly shouldn’t take too much, if any, more time.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Nov 5, 2008 5:31pm PDT
jbates

Is this problem resolved as the software is unusable for me as I can’t see thumbnails of my photos.

Thanks

Posted by
MimiDoe
Nov 7, 2008 9:16am PDT
MimiDoe

Mim: If you’re on PC, then use the Windows method Jeremy advises above. It’s slower than the proper BookSmart Get Photos, but works much the same once you get the hang of it. I’ve done about 100 for a book now nearly finished.

Posted by
peteshep
Nov 7, 2008 11:31am PDT
peteshep

I am using a PC—having the same problem. I tried Jeremy’s suggestion, but can’t get Booksmart to accept the images, even with dragging/dropping them. Any other suggestions?

Christine

Posted by
Christinedec
Feb 7, 2009 10:31pm PDT
Christinedec

It looks like it has been two years and I can’t find where a solution to this problem has been posted.  I just upgraded to version 2.5.1 and I have this same problem. Did I miss something?

Posted by
mturnbo
Jul 10, 2010 7:44am PDT
mturnbo

Hi mtumbo,

Our latest version is actually 2.8, so you should upgrade again, this time from our site: 

http://www.blurb.com/create/book/download

The problem with the Get Photos as described above was recently fixed and should appear in a future release. It was more complex to correct the issue that we had hoped, but we’re back on track for fixing it in an upcoming version.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support 

Posted by
mikewhy
Jul 12, 2010 7:58am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

I upgraded to version 2.8 on both my home computer (Windows 7) and my office computer (Windows XP) and the problem still exists on both.

Posted by
mturnbo
Jul 13, 2010 6:39am PDT
mturnbo

I am having the exact same problem… trying to make wedding photo albums and i can’t without photos. working on mac and using the most updated blurb software 2.9. I watch the photo thumbnails download into "my photos" and then they disappear.  NEED HELP!!!

Posted by
hnzimmerman
Oct 18, 2010 1:12pm PDT
hnzimmerman

Hi hnzimmerman,

This is an old topic from two years ago (which will be locked after this post). Please contact customer support so we can take a look at this.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Oct 19, 2010 9:21am PDT
csm Icon_staff