BookSmart

Can pictures be too big?

I am making my first photobook primarily using pictures from my wedding photograher.  I know about the perils of using a picture that is too small or not high enough resolution but can a picture be too big?  Most of the pictures from my photographer are 4096×2731 (some that I cropped are smaller) and I noticed that the recommended photo size for a full page bleed is 3788×3263.  If the picture is larger than that will it usually come out looking ok?  And what if I wanted to use one of those larger pictures in a smaller slot (2450×1951 or 1800×1200, etc)?  I know when I move the picture onto the page it seems to re-size it to the shorter edge and cuts off the excess on the longer edge….is that the software’s way of "fixing" it so that it will print properly in that slot or do I need to actually crop and re-size the images before I drop them in the book.

Thank you in advance for any answers!!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jason12182
Oct 28, 2008 11:27am PDT
jason12182

To the best of my knowledge the only thing that will happen if your pictures are ‘too big’ is that your file size will be large, and if you end up having a big book, it will most likely slow down the booksmart performance.  I have read on the forums that in order to increase the chance of best performance (there’s never a full guarantee on anything!) it is best to size the files to the container size specified in booksmart.

Having said that….I have yet to re-size my photos in my books.  I have gone up to 120 pages with about 500+ pictures, and I’ve been okay.  I’ve found that Booksmart automatically ‘stretches to fit’ the pictures.  You can change that by using the zoom tool function – you can either increase the magnification or decrease it so you see what you want in the container.  Again, there have been some posts that say if you do a lot of zooming, you’re better off using software like photoshop to do the zoom/crop since the algorithms are better—but I’m no pro.  I have zoomed as far as possible using Booksmart, and the results have been fine for my use.

Hope that helps,

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Oct 28, 2008 6:22pm PDT
rbgool

Thanks!  Are there typically any effects to the picture or quality when you use a high-resolution photo is a smaller picture box?

Posted by
jason12182
Oct 29, 2008 11:08am PDT
jason12182

Not that I have noticed.  I’m not a pro, so there may be some slight nuances that I may not notice.

Regi
Posted by
rbgool
Oct 29, 2008 5:24pm PDT
rbgool