BookSmart

Locked TypePad slurper works; we're fixing slurpers for Blogger, Wordpress, LiveJournal

We released a small BookSmart patch today that fixes a problem some people experienced when trying to slurp their TypePad blog. BookSmart will now slurp all TypePad entries correctly without crashing.

This patch also fixed two very small bugs. And unfortunately, we don’t have any further update on past blog slurpers. At this point, the Blogger and WordPress.com APIs are not working with BookSmart, thus these slurpers have been disabled. We will reevaluate these slurpers and others sometime in 2009, but we cannot guarantee that our next BookSmart releases will include them.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 6, 2008 5:34pm PDT
kathybad

Hi Kathy,

I just ordered my first blog book, and was excited to get started on the next.  I quickly realized that your slurper no longer works. I have done my research and have found a workaround, and the final product is to be uploaded as a pdf.  I think it is important to note, and probably explain to your developers that the word on the internet is that Lulu prints nicer, thus having people lean towards that service.  It can’t be that hard to get the slurper going again, especially since my friend just slurped her blog, from blogger, just yesterday, using your old service.  My guess is that possibly something more is going on at Blurb, other than just the fact that your servcie is broken.  Thank you for your posts, we appreciate the updates.

HG

Posted by
holliannregg
Nov 6, 2008 9:32pm PDT
holliannregg

Hello Kathy and Jeremy,

I’ve been reading both posts on the slurpers problem, and I have to say that I am very disapointed in the fact that you have decided to disable the blogger slurper.

I’ve been working on my blog for the last 4 years and was in the process of turning it into books (one for each year). Blog 2004 and 2007 are now completed and being printed. 

But this means that I won’t be able to continue doing so for 2008 and the remaining years (2005 and 2006), which really is a bummer. 

Seeing how this feature was so popular (told all my friends that have had blogs for a long time, and they all want their books !!), I would have thought that you would try to increase the number of blogs supported instead of decreasing it !

Also, being in the software industry, I don’t understand why you don’t offer a simple slurper based on full RSS feed. Yhis would allow bloggers from any blog systems to be able to import their blogs into blurb. Even if it’s a multi-step process, it’s always better than nothing…

Hope the slurpers will be restored shortly….

CouCou.

Posted by
CouCou33
Nov 7, 2008 11:04am PDT
CouCou33

Hi,

I just got through reading a bunch of posts in this Forum and had to add my two cents.  I agree with the majority – I really hope Blogger gets their act together and stops changing things so you are able to (eventually) support that platform.  Also, it would be extremely helpful, both in terms of time and user frustration level, if you would accurately and clearly list on the home page of Blurb.com which blog platforms you support.  I found this site by searching for blog to book, saw that it supported "many" blog platforms, saw Blogger listed in the Help video and then was disappointed to find, after downloading the program, that only LiveJournal and TypePad were supported.  It took almost an hour for me to find this forum and discover that apparently only LiveJournal is supported (correct?). 

This seems like a very cool product and if all goes well I can see myself ordering many books for family for Christmas.  (Of course, this would be easier if the Blogger platform were supported.)  In searching for answers I was impressed at the (usually quick) responses to concerns raised on this forum, though I wish the concern about accurate advertising would be represented on the Home page.

Thanks,

Rachel

Posted by
jebrae
Nov 7, 2008 9:09pm PDT
jebrae

I tried to slurp from my Typepad blog, and was unable to complete the process.  I downloaded version 1.9.9.  Can you confirm that this is the version with the patch?

Posted by
mlbuddy
Nov 8, 2008 6:56am PDT
mlbuddy

I used 1.9.9 to slurp more than a hundred posts from my Typepad blog today—which is great—but it has a number of glitches. Anytime I have used italic or bold style, or inserted a link, in my blog text, the slurper did not capture any text in the paragraph up to that point. So if there is an italicized word half way through the paragraph, the first half of the paragraph is missing. Also, I found it to miss entire paragraphs, just randomly it seemed (but many times it was the last paragraph in the post). Finally, comments were not slurped, which I would like it to do (and I know it used to do this in 2007). Maybe I missed a setting for this(?). Anyhow, I went ahead and created my books while checking each and every post for omissions. Very tedious! I hope these things can be fixed! (but I am also very happy it’s working with Typepad at all!)

Posted by
kimbyrns
Nov 8, 2008 9:36pm PDT
kimbyrns

When is LiveJournal going to be fixed? Right now it’s only slurping posts up to July 9, 2007.

Posted by
dmarine40
Nov 11, 2008 9:02am PDT
dmarine40

I just uninstalled the new version of Booksmart and reinstalled the old version and it slurped fine.  Why doesn’t Blurb give a link to download the old version for Bloggers until there is a solution for the new version?

Posted by
bgwilt
Nov 13, 2008 11:12am PDT
bgwilt

I’m still unable to slurp my Typepad blog without receiving an error message.

Posted by
Tampen
Nov 13, 2008 1:08pm PDT
Tampen

The book-to-blog thing is the reason I chose both typepad and blurb, and I have been hanging out for the new “summertime” release you assured us would enable us to use this feature. However, despite your Nov 8 post about it being completely fixed, it still doesn’t seem to be working, crashing the whole program EVERY TIME it gets to a certain point late in the slurping process. It does seem to work perfectly until the book actually opens, and then it crashes. All the entries are listed there, but the book is empty. Please help! I was SO wanting to print some books for Christmas presents.

Posted by
MilkHoney
Nov 14, 2008 6:07pm PDT
MilkHoney

Hi MilkHoney & Tampen,

Please upgrade to the newest version of BookSmart (the fix is in the patched release) and TypePad should work. If not, please contact Customer Support, as they’ll really want to know about it.In your message, please include yourTypePad username and a temporary password, and Customer Support can troubleshoot this for you from Blurb HQ.

Thanks for hanging in there,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Nov 14, 2008 7:43pm PDT
jbates

I wouldn’t have downloaded the new version if I’d known that I couldn’t get my info from Blogger.  The reason I used this software was because of that feature.  I have really enjoyed this program and would hate to have to switch is there anyway to go back to the version I was using?

Posted by
keastes
Nov 15, 2008 12:36pm PDT
keastes

There seems to be a problem with LiveJournal that I just can’t get passed now…   I converted my Blogger blog to a Live Journal blog – when I view the blog in Livejournal, everything appears corrrectly…

When I pull the blog in using 1.98 or 1.99, the text comes in fine.. but the image all say Invalid format and cannot be pulled into the blog.  I’ll submit a CS request as well but thought I’d mention it hear in case others have the same issue.

If I can get this to work, I will post a tool that will allow you to convert your blogs with ease so pulling them back in using booksmart is a breeze!  :) 

Posted by
Jingothecat
Nov 16, 2008 7:47am PDT
Jingothecat

Ok.. I think I know what happened.. the tool I was using to convert the blogs still points back to Blogger for the images…. which Booksmart is failing to read in of course!  Argghh..  so this method might not work still.  I’m going to try a few other things….

Posted by
Jingothecat
Nov 16, 2008 7:51am PDT
Jingothecat

Hmm.. but the links are really just IMG tags so it shouldn’t matter where they are stored.  Ok – sorry – I’m going to send in to CS and see what they say.  Stay tuned please… Thx.

Posted by
Jingothecat
Nov 16, 2008 7:58am PDT
Jingothecat

I have my blog on blogger and would really like to make it into a book (to match previous years).  Can you PLEASE put a link some place where I can download 1.97 or 1.98???  It sounds like those versions can still slurp blogger, and at this point I’m willing to try anything!

Posted by
kme1981
Nov 17, 2008 2:46pm PDT
kme1981

Howdy all,

Regarding LiveJournal, BookSmart is currently only slurping 100 entries. I am sorry for this problem. This is the kind of thing that happens to our slurpers when we don’t have an official relationship with a given blog platform provider.

If your LiveJournal blog has more than 100 entries, BookSmart will omit the rest of your posts from the list of those available. Unfortunately, I can’t yet find a pattern as to which entries are omitted. Chronology is the most obvious variable, and we’ve seen a case or two where the FIRST 100 entries were pulled. But another Blurb author was able to slurp her more recent LiveJournal entries, as well as posts from 2004, while 2006 was missing entirely. So, we’re honing in on the problem and will hopefully have more information soon. The bad news is that I can’t promise this will be fixed. If it is fixed, the solution won’t come until 2009.

As for Blogger, and any other previously supported platform except for TypePad (which is working), we’ll have to wait until 2009 before evaluating where to go from here. I’m sorry we can’t be more specific than that; the developers are brainstorming like crazy about how to improve BookSmart. As usual, they will have to make some tough choices as they prioritize projects. So, while I certainly hope the next version of BookSmart will work with Blogger and other blog platforms, we really won’t know anything more until next year. I am sorry.

When we do know, we’ll share the info with you here on the forums.

Happy impending holidays (always feels strange to use that phrase for the first time each year),
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Nov 17, 2008 3:06pm PDT
jbates

Is there anything we can do to help (bug google for your or post in their wishlist pages)?

Why are you not addressing the questions about the previous versions of booksmart ?

Posted by
owen454
Nov 20, 2008 5:21am PDT
owen454

When will the LiveJournal problem be fixed (only importing first 100-ish entries)? I imported my wordpress blog to Livejournal so I could blurb my blog and now Livejournal isn’t working either. ARGH!

Posted by
samantha0401
Nov 20, 2008 9:56am PDT
samantha0401

Hi samantha0401,

Sorry for the ARGH. We’re doing what we can do get the slurpers working again. Slurpers for LiveJournal, Blogger, and WordPress.com are a definite priority for the BookSmart team and are being worked on as I write this. We can’t promise any fixes this year, so look to early 2009 for some more information.

Please know that the problems we are experiencing are not the fault of any one thing. APIs are tricky business and we’re working closely with the support folks at all of these blogging platforms to get our slurpers working again.

So, stay tuned for more info in 2009. Meanwhile, thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 20, 2008 6:10pm PDT
kathybad

Kathy,

I just downloaded Booksmart today and tried to slurp my Typepad blog to no avail.  It shows the blog, but after I select the blog I would like to slurp it shows a windo "downloading entries"and then changes to an error screen.  any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Posted by
Marjorie5
Nov 21, 2008 2:39pm PDT
Marjorie5

Hi Marjorie5,

I think I know what’s up here. There are certain (and relatively rare) types of content that can crash the TypePad slurper. Customer Support can troubleshoot this for you. Please simply drop them a line, and include in the message your TypePad username and a temporary password, and also paste a link to this forum thread so they know you’ve been requested to submit a ticket.

Thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Nov 21, 2008 2:52pm PDT
jbates

I downloaded this believing it would work with my blog at wordpress. Disappointed that I wasted half my night on it only to find as I started it up that it wouldn’t work.

Posted by
tanial
Nov 22, 2008 8:23am PDT
tanial

Ditto. Except I use Blogger.  What a waste.  And I was sent to you by Hewlett Packard because you use their Indigo presses.  I’ll have to let them know you can’t accomodate the most popular of blogs—Blogger.

Posted by
tehubbard
Nov 28, 2008 6:09am PDT
tehubbard

I have unsuccessfully attempted 3 times this afternoon, roughly 4.30, 4.35, and 4.55, PST, to slurp my blog from Typepad into Book Smart.  First 2 times were on dialup at my home.  Figuring dialup was the reason, I went to our local fire station to take advantage of their wireless dsl.  Again the upload aborted within 30 seconds.  I read the information about the patch being installed.  So???????  What do I do next?  I am using a MacBook Pro, v. 10.4.11.  Among many others, this is also to be a Christmas gift so I’m anxious to get started.  ~Blythe

Posted by
BlytheRuss
Nov 30, 2008 6:50pm PDT
BlytheRuss

Hi Blythe,

There is one TypePad crash that seems to be related to base64-encoded characters. We’re close to figuring out what kind of content isn’t being handled properly (and that therefore causes the crash). Please write into Customer Support and include a link to this thread so you don’t have to re-type the whole issue. A rep will reply to you promptly.

Thank you for your patience,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Dec 1, 2008 2:29am PDT
jbates

BGWilt,

Is it possible for you to send the downloadable link for the old version of Booksmart, so we can do the same?  I’m so so so desperate (just like every other Blogger on here I’m sure).

Thanks!

paige

paigemrodriguez@yahoo.com

Posted by
paigerod
Dec 1, 2008 9:26am PDT
paigerod

Add me to the growing list of unhappy would-be customers who will be taking their business elsewhere. I’m so very dissappointed that BookSmart doesn’t support Blogger. Why not let people download and use the old version if that is what works?

Posted by
mellsara
Dec 1, 2008 1:21pm PDT
mellsara

Kathy,

Following your advice, I sent an email to support explaining the situation I mentioned earlier on this forum re slurpping my blog.  I also sent them my login and temporary password.  I have heard nothing.  I just tried ‘slurping’ it again with the same result – and error msg and automatic closing of Booksmart.  What do I need to do to at this point? 

—Marjorie

Posted by
Marjorie5
Dec 1, 2008 5:18pm PDT
Marjorie5

Hi Marjorie,

Sorry to hear you are still having difficulties. We last heard from you on Nov. 23. Please respond back to the email you received or fill out a new tech support form.

We really want to get you going again!

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 2, 2008 10:49am PDT
kathybad

Kathy,

I guess I will have to resubmit a new request for support as I never received a response to my initial problem. 

—Marjorie

Posted by
Marjorie5
Dec 3, 2008 5:59am PDT
Marjorie5

Will you or will you not allow Blogger users to slurp with an older version of BookSmart?  You have ignored several questions on this forum related to use of the older version of BookSmart for Blogger users.  Without an answer, I will take my business elsewhere.

Posted by
shopperchung
Dec 4, 2008 2:40pm PDT
shopperchung

Howdy shopperchung,
We’ll always post as much info as we can here on forums.blurb.com. But please note that if you need a guaranteed answer, there is one way to get a prompt response: writing Blurb customer support. Marjorie5, I see you’ve written us 3 times, and we’ve responded each time. However, none of our responses have been responded to by you, suggesting that our answers are being lost in your spam folder. Your most recent ticket was received today and escalated to our tech team, and I will see to it that the response gets through to you. Please be sure to check your spam/bulk folder, as well.
Older versions of BookSmart do seem to be working with Blogger, but we don’t distribute anything but the current version. Also, the fact that older versions are working seems to be the result of a bit of luck. Please click here to read a previous answer of mine on this subject.

I hope that helps!
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Dec 4, 2008 3:16pm PDT
jbates

Can you reoffer booksmart 1.9.8 for those of us who have been blogging on blogger hoping to use blurb to download and  make books?  I have been told that it still works with 1.9.8.  I really wanted to make a couple of books for New Years.

Posted by
hamblin2
Dec 4, 2008 8:58pm PDT
hamblin2

Just a note to jump on the bandwagon of “What the Crap” After I watched the video that supported blogger I downloaded the program. No Blogger support, delete the program. Can’t wait for the support of Blogger.

Posted by
Hunkaluv75
Dec 5, 2008 12:13am PDT
Hunkaluv75

Jeremy,

Thank you for your assistance.  FYI, I did receive several notices from Booksmart/Blurb notifying me that they were working on the issue none of them required me to respond so I did not. Thank you again.

—Marjorie

Posted by
Marjorie5
Dec 9, 2008 9:16am PDT
Marjorie5

Today on blogger buzz they indicated you can now export your blog in .xml format.    Is it possible to create a patch to import that .xml file?

Posted by
mil99024
Dec 11, 2008 3:37pm PDT
mil99024

Are you still working on the blogger problem??? Is it possible that it is going to be fixed or is it never going to work.  I’m just trying to decide if I should wait and see if it gets fixed or try to find another solution.

Posted by
jessicamaria
Dec 11, 2008 7:24pm PDT
jessicamaria

Hi! I am brand new to BookSmart (just downloaded it yesterday) and want to slurp my Blogger blog into a book. When I get to the Blog Source window…only Typepad and LiveJournal show up. However, I watched the tutorial on how to create a blog book and saw that Blogger was one of the options. Was that only available in an old version of BookSmart?

How can I slurp my Blogger blog into a book? I am so excited to do this!!! Hope someone can help!

Thanks in advace!!

Zonnie

Posted by
zonnieriver
Dec 13, 2008 1:42pm PDT
zonnieriver

Howdy all,

This post is getting so long that it’s easy to forget the beginning by the time you read to the end! That means it’s time to lock the thread :-)

Unfortunately, other than the info posted at the very top of this thread, we don’t have any announcements regarding the slurpers that are currently broken: Blogger, Wordpress and LiveJournal. We hope to be able to slurp content from those platforms again in 2009.

So that folks don’t have to search too far for this info, we’ll leave this post as a sticky for as long as we can. And please don’t worry. Locking the thread doesn’t mean we don’t want to think about blog slurpers. Quite the contrary. Our developers are already hard at work on restoring support for as many platforms as possible. So enjoy your holidays, make a book out of your festive photos, and please check-in here on the forums in 2009 for slurper updates!

Cheers,
Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Dec 13, 2008 7:50pm PDT
jbates