BookSmart

Table of Contents

I’m doing my first book, which is a collection of poems. I typed up the table of contents manually in alphabetical order by title of the poems in Word. Then I entered all the corresponding page numbers as decimal tabs flush right. It looks perfect in Word but when I paste the list into Booksmart the tabs don’t hold. The page numbers come right after the title of each poem in the list. Should I try to do a real table of contents in Word? Except that my poems are each a separate document right now. Just using the tab key doesn’t give me any control. I see lots of books with tables of contents so there must be something I’m missing. Many thanks in advance.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Mapletree
Nov 12, 2008 4:23pm PDT
Mapletree

Hello Mapletree;

- BookSmart hates formated Word text and in general terms can’t cope. You should almost always use the "import as plain text" routine, and format within BookSmart itself…

- There are no automated "Table of Contents" facilities. You have to build them yourself.

- I have not found a way to "split-justify" text. You need to use a two column layout to do what you want, with the left coloumn left-justified, and the right column right-justified.

Hope that helps;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 13, 2008 2:46am PDT
lkb-28

Alternatively, use the text feature of your imaging editing program and simply create an image of your desired final ToC, then, load that image into Booksmart.  No formatting issues to deal with.

Posted by
lctalbot
Nov 17, 2008 6:10pm PDT
lctalbot

Agreed along with Lee and Larry’s suggestion, as for creating text in image editing app (and eventually exporting), the trick is to create text that is NOT smallest than 8pt or less. And export image files as PNG rather than JPG file format.

Hope that helps.
Brian {a passionate Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Nov 17, 2008 6:17pm PDT
brianbonitz