BookSmart

Photos look pixelated/blurry while editing, even though they are the right size and sharp

Anyone know why some of my photos look like they are too small (pixelated) even though they are well within the size limits. I have checked each photo in photoshop for size and quality. Some of the photos in the book are shot on a canon 5D and they look great, the others shot on a nikon D700 and they look pixelated. Both cameras shoot the same size image, both are set on sRGB and and both are using great lenses. It is not focus or sharpness it is like I am seeing pixels in the Nikon images. Someone help, I am afraid to publish this book if the images come back like they look in preview.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
longboy
Nov 20, 2008 7:14pm PDT
longboy

What pixel resolution did you set on all of your image file? You are suppose to set it to 300 pixel resolution.

Did you use Nikon’s native electronic format called .NEF? If so, you will need to convert all of these camera raw format into JPG format. Do you have appropriate convertors such as Adobe DNG or Photoshop CS4 or Nikon’s software that converts these file for you? If you are not sure, please kindly refer to your digital Camera’s user guide’s manual book for details.

I am not sure if D700, as it is recently released to retail market (is that correct, no?) is widely supported by current Adobe PNG convertor, but you can have a look at Adobe website through Photoshop support documentation for details. If you can’t find the information there, please let me know. I can go and find it for you.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, Brian {a passionate Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Nov 20, 2008 8:28pm PDT
brianbonitz

Booksmart does not render the picture onscreen in full resoltuion, even when zoomed in. There is nothing wrong.  Booksmart builds thumb, screen, and zoom versions of the original. Typically a 3Mb original image is displayed in zoom with a 400K copy.  I find my 4000×3000 original images are reduced to 2000×1500 with heavy compression applied for the zoomed version.  This reduces memory requirements and speeds things up. The original is used when rendering uploads for print.

I found this out when I imported a full page JPG outputed from Photoshop. The text within the photo looked terrible in Booksmart, but was crystal clear in the JPG. That’s when I realized what was going on.  They printed perfectly.

If you are technically curious you can see them in your BookSmartData folder in the library folder of the book. They are technically JPGs, but use other extensions. Do not rename or delete any.

Posted by
royalef
Nov 20, 2008 10:33pm PDT
royalef