BookSmart

How to prevent photo resizing?

The older versions of Booksmart used to allow placing a photo in a too-big container without resizing or scaling the image to fit the container size. This seems to have been lost in version 1.99???

Since I sharpen for specific pixel dimensions I really do not want the program to arbitrarily resize the image. I’d rather choose a slightly too large container and keep the image at 100% size.

Is there any way to have Booksmart honor this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Minicucci
Dec 1, 2008 10:01am PDT
Minicucci

Good question. I’ve suggested that they add a % indicator to the photo size slider so we would be able to do exactly what you’re saying (keeping images to a known %). I don’t see a way to do it currently with 1.9.9. Does anyone?

H

Posted by
haraldo2
Dec 1, 2008 5:47pm PDT
haraldo2

H,

Perhaps that you want to submit an enhancement feature request through Blurb feedback or suggestion for consideration.

Cheers, Brian {a passionate Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Dec 1, 2008 8:52pm PDT
brianbonitz

Howdy all,

Just to give a shout out to Lee, who is active and informative on this here forum, he has submitted a very detailed feature request along these lines. I’m happy to consider this a strong "second" of his motion and re-send the recommendation to the developers.

Thanks & Cheers!
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Dec 1, 2008 9:22pm PDT
jbates

Thank you all for the info and thanks to Lee too for his groundwork on this. Hopefully, this can be incorporated in the next iteration of Booksmart. (It really is important for image quality.)

Posted by
Minicucci
Dec 1, 2008 10:15pm PDT
Minicucci

Great! Glad we’re all in agreement.

Howdy Jeremy. With that hat you almost look like a Texan at Barton Springs. (Google for it if you don’t catch my reference).

Haraldo

Posted by
haraldo2
Dec 1, 2008 10:44pm PDT
haraldo2

Is it too late to reply to the original question? You CAN have a photo (smaller) fit into a larger cantainer size, as you put it. You can have it fit even if the size differance is only vertical or horizontal or both. Take you original image (it is smaller than the new container/window space), and in Photoshop add white space around your original image to equal the same size as the new container/window size. Go to Image/Canvas size in Photoshop to do this. One problem with this is that you cannot have a boarder around your photograph, for it will go around the photo AND the white area—unless you put your boarder on in Photoshop. This I have done with little trouble. All this takes a wee bit more time, but your book should be worth it—or you shouldnt be creating the book in the first place. Mark Emmerson of Bermuda

Posted by
markemmerson
Dec 9, 2008 7:50am PDT
markemmerson

Hi Mark;

Where abouts in BDA are you located? I have been visiting BDA on & off for 30+ years & lived at Barne’s Corner, overlooking the Great Sound for 4!

Anyhow, images which are smaller than the container will have any border/frame attached to the image – not the container… So, you can add borders if you wish… but not if you do as you say in PS; in which case you would have to add the border in PS before importing the flattened image…

Anyhow, hope life in BDA is still good…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Dec 9, 2008 8:31am PDT
lkb-28

Lee, Good to hear from an old Bermuda resident. I live in Fairylands, just outside of Hamilton City. Sorry this has taken so long—I forgot I had written anything, and just now I was on sight downloading and ordering another book—and bing!! The light went on!

This is just great fun! All the best to you …. and give me a ring next time you are in Bermuda—we will put a fead-bag on and go out to lunch. Cheers. Mark Emmerson

Posted by
markemmerson
Apr 17, 2009 7:46am PDT
markemmerson