BookSmart

Locked Cannot import book: "This file does not appear to be exported from Booksmart"

Am I doing something wrong, I can’t open any of my *.book files.

Does the Import Book function work?

Posted by
george9t8
Dec 15, 2008 1:43pm PDT
george9t8

I’m having the same problem. However, I migrated my data from a windows machine to a Mac. I can open Booksmart on my mac, but cannot see any of my windows created books using the “open book” option (even though the files are inside a Booksmart Data folder at the root directory), nor can I open*.book files using the “import book” function.

HELP! I need to make some minor editorial changes and order additional copies asap!!

Posted by
ksantini
Dec 22, 2008 1:52pm PDT
ksantini

George,

without a bit more information it is difficukt to offer advice. The Import Book function only works with .BOOK  files that were created with Backup/Export Book. It will not work with the .BOOK files that can be found in your BookSmartData directories.

Could that be your problem?

Kimberley,

there is a video that tells you how to migrate your book between a windows and a Mac PC. Again using the Backup/Export Book followed by Import Book. You’ll find that here….

http://www.blurb.com/help/video/export_book

There a lots of FAQs and tutorials, including "videos" in under the Help menu at the top of this window.

If you still have problems after using these resources don’t hesitate to come back to the forums and ask for mfurther hekp.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 22, 2008 2:40pm PDT
tfrankland

Howdy folks,

If the .book files haven’t been exported, then they won’t import. You’ll want to choose Open Existing Book. If your book isn’t on the list of projects to open, then please follow the steps below:

Please start a new book in BookSmart called "TestTitle" or something like that. Then, run a search to see where BookSmart has created the TestTitle folder. It’s possible you changed the directory to another area of your computer now that BookSmart allows that option.

Now, please open a new File Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac) window and run a search for the folder that contains your old book project. The folder should have the same name as your book, even if that is "untitled." You’ll want to drag your old book project folder alongside the "TestTitle" folder (within the same BookSmartData folder). Then open BookSmart, select OPEN EXISTING BOOK and your old project(s) should be on the list of books to open.

If this doesn’t do the trick, please contact Customer Support. Include in your message a link to this thread so they know you’ve already tried this first suggestion.

Best regards,
Jeremy

Posted by
jbates
Dec 22, 2008 2:43pm PDT
jbates

Ok! My problem was that I assumed the saved .book file was the same as the exported one, and never allowed for a naming convention to differentiate between the two. So I pulled all my files back over to the Windows machine, exported them, and am sending them back to the mac. I should be able to import the book on the mac tonite, correct that typo on the first page, and order my second press run.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Kim Santini

Posted by
ksantini
Dec 22, 2008 3:06pm PDT
ksantini

So I watched the tutorial and followed it to the T, it still doesnt work.

the file I am opening is a .bookexport, created by another person on another computer.

what, if anything, are we doing wrong?

Posted by
Josephy14
Feb 8, 2009 7:53pm PDT
Josephy14

Hello from N Ireland!
Very interested in all of this. I’ve been trying to export/ import for almost a week now without success! I’m exporting from PC to iMac and I rekon I’ve tried every possibility. If anyone out there has the answer PLEASE let us all know.
The folks at Blurb have been most helpful and very efficient.
If I get the fix I’ll post it!
Richard

Posted by
ballydougan
Nov 13, 2009 3:26pm PDT
ballydougan

Hello, I’m having the exact same error messages when I’m trying to import a book to a pc that I made on my mac.  I also did exactly as it shows on the video and I have a .bookexport file on my usb drive and can not open it on my pc booksmart program.  Help!

Posted by
jpehrson
Nov 22, 2009 10:34pm PDT
jpehrson

Hi jpehrson,

We need a lot more info to help you resolve this issue. Please fill out our support form so we can get started on helping you today.

Also, I am going to lock this thread because it’s nearly a year old.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 23, 2009 12:57pm PDT
kathybad