BookSmart

Text flowing from one page to another!

How do I keep text from flowing from one page to another?

If this is something it does by default and can’t be changed I’d consider it a bug.

If it’s something I can override, please tell me how.

Thank you.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
czechman
Dec 30, 2008 2:40pm PDT
czechman

Got the same problem

Mads Kamp

Posted by
madskamp
Dec 31, 2008 5:45am PDT
madskamp

Nazdar Czechmane! It’s a constant on “feature” without an off: “If your text runs longer than the box, it will flow through adjacent text containers starting with the one you selected until all text has been added.”
http://blurb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/blurb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=131

Posted by
Michal
Dec 31, 2008 6:00am PDT
Michal

After slugging it out for the past three days with this software, it leaves a LOT to be desired and text flowing where it isn’t wanted is just one of numerous annoyances one must suffer through.

I think I’ll do some checking around to see what else it out there. I’m committed with Blurb on this project but not the next.

Posted by
czechman
Jan 1, 2009 10:10pm PDT
czechman

I checked out Lulu, Shutterfly, Picaboo, iBooks, Mpix, Reedy, SnapFish, and MyPublisher before coming to the conclusion that Blurb offers the best quality for the price. And none of the other self publishers offer books up to 440 pages. Most of them top out at 100. If you find something better than Blurb, please do let me know!!! Not holding my breath.

Posted by
Michal
Jan 3, 2009 5:27am PDT
Michal

I’m not interested in doing anything over 100 pages. I’m more interested in finding software that isn’t as “clunky” as Blurb. Maybe I expect too much.

Posted by
czechman
Jan 3, 2009 10:23am PDT
czechman

Hey Michal, I just checked out your work and discovered that you’re from the Czech Republic. My grandparents emigrated from what was then Czechoslovakia in the early 1900s. You have a great eye and I enjoyed previewing your books.

Posted by
czechman
Jan 3, 2009 10:29am PDT
czechman

Thanks!!! Based on your monicker, I thought that perhaps you were also a native Czech, which is why in my first reply to you I addressed you with “Nazdar Chzechmane!” which is an equivalent to “Hi Czechman.”

Posted by
Michal
Jan 3, 2009 10:33am PDT
Michal

Hi, this flowing text thing is just a pain in the neck and simply unprofessional. It causes such a lot of extra work while editing.

I live in Germany and for some domestic projects I have used www.pixelspeed.de.

They have a software that has not the issues that booksmart has. However they have no bookstore and their range of products is limited too. But as to software from my point of view there is still a lot of room for improvements for blurb to catch up with that.

In pixelspeed you have boxes for text and images. You can change the boxes from image to text. and move them freely around on the page if you want. Also a simple photo editing software allows to manipulate basics of your images brightness, contrast etc..

I recommend that blub staff downloads a version of pixelspeed software and checks out the functionalities.

By the way while booksmart is creating monster files with intransparent storage and backups in pixelspeed things are much mor simple. 

Posted by
editionh
Jan 8, 2009 2:20am PDT
editionh

Bear in mind that some of us actually want Blurb to flow the text from text box to text box, especially when I am importing text from another application such as MS Word. I see that as a major plus feature of BookSmart.

I wouldn’t object to an option to switch it on/off but I would be very unhappy if it was removed altogether, it would take me waaay longer to do a text heavy book.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 8, 2009 2:39am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony,

I cannot see the flowing text as an advantage because each time a page is edited I have to check through the rest of the text whether following chapters and pages are still o.k.

Posted by
editionh
Jan 11, 2009 1:32am PDT
editionh

Depends on the style of your book. One of my books has 80 pages of photos followed by around 70 pages of text. (with a scattereing of small photos).

When I needed to add a few sentances near the beginning of those text pages BookSmart automatically shunted everything up and handled the flowing for me. If I had had to manually do this pagination, cuttining the last sentances on a page to make room for new ones in the middle then dong the same on the next page to make room for those cut sentances to pasted into the top of that page and so on for dozems of pages I would have given up. My only choice would have been to, every time I wanted to add a sentance find another one of the same size on that page to delete. Similarly if I wanted to delete a sentance I would have had to add a new one of the same size to that page to stop have ragged "bottoms" as the text container was not filled.

I think I could have worded the above more elegantly, but I hope you get my drift?

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 11, 2009 2:56am PDT
tfrankland

Granted, the Booksmart software still has some text flow issues (especially with copy/paste from WORD documents)... when I need a template that does flow I just design my own and turn off the flow parameter – but that’s a whole other story.

Posted by
Jingothecat
Jan 11, 2009 7:57am PDT
Jingothecat

I agree with Tony, it should be an option the way it is in nearly every page layout application. If you want text to flow from one column to another, you simply link them. Whatever the default is is irrelevant, but you should have the option.

This is what is frustrating about software development these days, instead of getting the basics bulletproof, developers add features that look good in advertisements then these features hardly ever work as advertised.

Posted by
czechman
Jan 14, 2009 5:44am PDT
czechman

Howdy all,

Now that’s not a bad idea: an autoflow on/off option with "Apply to all text containers on this page" and "Apply to all text containers in book" checkboxes.

The developers are cranking away behind the scenes on BookSmart 2.0… I’ll log this idea as a feature request, with a link to this thread so the product "deciders" can see your ongoing feedback on the subject.

Thank you for your candid and constructive feedback.

Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Jan 14, 2009 10:29am PDT
jbates