BookSmart

Amalgamating books/ incorporating content from one book into another?

Hi,

I’m experimenting with a portfolio book to show pages of several wedding albums I have already made. What I’d like to do is to use whole pages from one already published book in another that I am currently working on.

I thought if I could use Import book with the new book already open, it might somehow import the whole content of the other book so I could select which pages I wanted & delete the rest, but I can’t. Nor can I copy & paste pages or pics from one book to another.

Obviously I could re-create the pages from the previous book, but some of them are tricky, the photos I used are embedded in directories containing thousands of pictures, etcetera. Is there an elegant way of doing this?

Many thanks!

Sarah

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
SarahGraham
Jan 9, 2009 5:52am PDT
SarahGraham

You are out of luck Sarah, there is no elegant way :-(

The photos from your previous books could be retrieved though, if that would help.

If you go to the BookSmartData folder (In My Documents for Windows, you’d need to do a search if you use a Mac, or maybe a Mac user will junp in here) you will find a folder for each of your books. Inside each of those you will see a Library folder. Inside that you will see a whole load of files with a suffix of .original.

These are the image files you imported into that book. If you copy those .original files to another folder, then rename them from .original to .jpg you will have the photos ready to import into your amalgamated book. The names are not the same as those you imported, but opening to see what they are would presumably be quicker than reprocessing them from your originals. But be careful, change those files in anyway in the Library folder and that book would be corrupted.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 9, 2009 6:29am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony,

It’s a shame about the elegance, but this looks very practical! Many thanks for taking the trouble to give me this full & helpful answer – you’re a star!

All best,

Sarah

Posted by
SarahGraham
Jan 9, 2009 7:56am PDT
SarahGraham