BookSmart

Locked Computer crash

Hi My computers hard drive crashed and cannot be fixed, Ive lost all files and they can’t be recovered, my Book file have been lost. I was wondering does anyone know if theres a way to retrieve an upploaded book from blurb so I can amend a book so I can put in my order….

many thanks

Lee

Posted by
lstobbart
Feb 12, 2009 6:58am PDT
lstobbart

Let me know what you find…

Posted by
marcscheff
Jul 22, 2010 10:54am PDT
marcscheff

There is no way marcsheff, the files that make up your book on your PC are not uploaded to the Blurb server, instead, when you come to upload, BookSmart renders the individual pages and sends those page images to the server. Doing it that way it makes use of the fonts on your PC rather than limiting you to the fonts they may have on their server. It also speeds up the upload process. So there is no way to recover your files from Blurb.

The bit of your computer that is most likely to fail is the hard disk – it  is the bit with mechanical moving parts. If you keep your computer long enough it is almost guaranteed to fail :-(

I would strongly recommend people to back up their critical data regularly to a second disk or a DVD (CD’s will be too small). I had my computer stolen a few years back during a burglary and they took all my equipment including my backup DVDs as well. Now I back up to an external hard drive then hide that in a separate room so the same thing does not happen again.  Really critical data I also back up to DVDs regularly and keep those at a friends house, just in case mine goes up in flames.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 22, 2010 11:58am PDT
tfrankland

Lee,

I am sorry that it has happened to you when computer crashed. I know, I have been there and done that.

The nicest thing about back up system these days, while I am working/using with Mac (the latest system architecture – Mac OSX Snow Leopard – version 10.6.4)… there is special utility in Snow Leopard architecture called Time Machine as a back up. Depending on how you set it up as to how often to perform backups, then once you set it up, Time Machine does the rest for you automatically. Time Machine is actually an external hard drive.

Unfortunately, few months ago, my external hard drive along with Time Machine set up, it crashed. But I also have other back up with other external drives – just in case. Because I am dealing with so many files especially with original photos.

While Tony’s suggestion is recommended, too. Along with Tony’s suggestion with external hard drive back up, plus DVD back up, etc… and keep it at different location. Every time when I shoot photos, I do double back ups of original photos to two different hard drives, plus double back ups to DVDs. I also have RAID hard drives in MacPro… and many many external hard drives (both online and off-the-line)… I don’t know how many DVD discs I have, plenty of them! The catch is this, this gets more complicated and a little headache at times. But it is better to have back ups and do it regularly.

As for Windows, I am pretty sure that there are similar alternate solution to that of Time Machine used for Macs. Perhaps that Tony and few other Blurbarians chime in and offer some more info about WIndow… as Window has a couple of versions… I am pretty sure someone else will chime in and offer some more info related to Window backups, etc. There is also a couple of pretty good third-party software that performs back ups for you, too.

Hope this helps.
Brian | Passionately Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jul 22, 2010 1:09pm PDT
brianbonitz