BookSmart

Hiccups: error closes book without saving

Two hours into creating an 80 page book, a window appears stating that the program has experienced a "hiccup" and will close. It stated that "in most instances" the book will be saved… well, can’t find mine anywhere. Any ideas?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
carlateneyck
Sep 18, 2007 6:43pm PDT
carlateneyck

I’ve experienced this problem numerous times.  For me, it happens most often when using the keyboard commands for deleting a previous action (ctrl-alt-del) on the keyboard.  Do it too many times and the program closes, often without saving the changes. Using the delete function on the toolbar minimzes the problem.

It has also happened on other random occasions for which I have no explanation…but in no case did the actual file disappear…

Hopefully, its a bug that will be worked out with the new release :)

Posted by
descentline
Sep 18, 2007 7:18pm PDT
descentline

Hi there. I worked two days on my first book and experienced the same problem.  To me it looks like a "not enough memory" problem.  BookSmaart saves your work frequently and I lost one sentence at the most.  If you want to locate your book (files) on your hard disk, just start the SEARCH function and run it.  I hop this will help.

Posted by
pake
Sep 20, 2007 12:24pm PDT
pake

Perhaps that some of you want to consider to send a technical problem contact form at Blurb, where you can describe the exact source of problem you are having. If you have some kind of error message given to you from Booksmart app, USE THAT information in your contact form.

Additionally, be more specific about Operating System, type of computer, RAM size, and other source of information, that will help to speed up for Blurb technical team get this back to you with possible solution or workaround solution.

Please use Technical Support contact form FOR ALL kind of technical problem, the more technical problem and incidents sent to Blurb, the better outcome to make some room for feature and software enhancement.

Even if there is new BookSmart application is around the corner, I would believe that there is some possible problem around or in the app itself. Best to keep all information under microscope and put that on piece of paper, problem and all. use that information as a frame of reference to communicate with Blurb technical team.

Hope that helps.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 20, 2007 1:28pm PDT
brianbonitz

@BRIANBONITZ  I worked on my Targa Visionary laptop with 512MB memory, using XP Home Edition.  There is no error message or whatsoever, the application just folds and that’s it.  It happened when the book had about 80 pages.  The most realistic way to find out what the problem is, is to reconstruct it on a similar machine.  Good luck.

Posted by
pake
Sep 20, 2007 11:02pm PDT
pake

Hi Pake,

I took a look at Blurb BookSmart’s system requirement, in your case with Windows platform, here is what I found as per tidbit provied by Blurb below:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR WINDOWS

Blurb BookSmart™ Version: 1.8.1 released June 14, 2007
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000, or XP
Memory: 512MB minimum, 1GB preferred
Processor: 1 GHz minimum, 2 GHz Preferred
Download Size: 20MB
Install Size: 90MB
Disk Space per Book: 100MB (average)
Screen Resolution: 1024×768 minimum, 1600×1200 preferred

Source Cited based on:
http://www.blurb.com/create/book/learn_more

Quick reference in addition to the link I have outlined, to get the information that I have “cut and paste” from based on “Works with Mac and PC…” that is where I got the information come from.

So, it looks like that your computer’s 512 RAM is too small to run BookSmart. I was actually surprised that you are able to run the app until it stop working.

Hope that helps, no?

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 20, 2007 11:08pm PDT
brianbonitz

Pake,

I use Macs on my end, first one is 2GB RAM, and the other one is 8GB RAM on MacPro Intel-based dual microprocessors with 1TB hard drives.

Anyway, I see that you could run BookSmart just fine with 512MB, but I see that Blurb recommends 1GB, though. Do you happen to have large hard drive volumes, no?

If you got any “specific” error message that BookSmart folds on your machine, if so, please send the information to Blurb Technical Support, at this contact form below:

Blurb Technical Support:
http://www.blurb.com/help/technical_support

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 20, 2007 11:14pm PDT
brianbonitz

@BRIANBONITZ  Hi, thanks for your answer.  I had seen the technical requirements already.  Although it tells that 1GB is prefered, it also does say that 512MB is a minimum amount of RAM.  So, reading your comments there’s another possible error:

1) NOT ENOUGH MEMORY, which means that the it tries to load something that won’t fit.

2) STACK OVERFLOW.  Since no message is issued and the application folds spontaniously, this looks like a plausible explanation.  This is caused by the compiler of the application, where stacks are reserved.  Defining more space for data stacks during compilation could be a solution.

Best regards, Bernard.

Posted by
pake
Sep 21, 2007 1:11pm PDT
pake

Hi Bernard,

I am sorry that you are still having a bad time with memory problem. I am wondering if you are running other applications in the background at the same time as BookSmart running?

If that is the case, try quitting all other apps running, quit BookSmart. Reboot your computer. Then run BookSmart application only. And see what happens next? Let us know with what you have learned.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Brian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 21, 2007 7:36pm PDT
brianbonitz

@BRIAN  Hi, thanks again.  To answer your question, no I don’t run any other application, just to free as much memory as possible.  But, don’t worry, I ordered another 512MB, so that I will have 1GB (the maximum) in totall.  May I send you the bill??? :-)))  Anyway, have a nice weekend and as far as I’m concerned this topic may be closed.

Best regards, Bernard.

Posted by
pake
Sep 22, 2007 2:13am PDT
pake

@BRIAN.  Hi again.  I’d like to report my second serious bug in Blurb’s software, and therewith reopen this topic.

Today I upgraded my laptop from 512MB to 1GB (for about US$ 80,00) and the problem is NOT SOLVED.  The application folds just as before.  No indication.  No (error) message.   No nothing.

So it is clear to me that you have a STACK OVERFLOW problem, which should be solved when compiling the application.  I checked the use of system resources when the program failed.  There’s enough memory.  There’s enough diskspace.  I’m uptodate with XP fixes.

Waiting for your answer, best regards, Bernard.

Posted by
pake
Sep 28, 2007 6:27am PDT
pake