BookSmart

Locked Problems with BookSmart 1.9.9

I installed the new version 1.9.9, but when try to open booksmart appears the message "Cheking Books Directory" and nothing happend. I tried to open my directory of books, and tried a new directory, both doesn’t work.  I can not work with Blurb anymore.

Posted by
sandrafig
Mar 30, 2009 6:50pm PDT
sandrafig

Help! Help! 

Posted by
sandrafig
Mar 30, 2009 7:32pm PDT
sandrafig

The first thread in this forum (The BookSkart forum) is called If a technical prob. prevents you from working on your book, PLEASE READ, you’ll get some help there.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 31, 2009 12:04am PDT
tfrankland

I have the same problem as Sandrafig. Have tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling… have done this twice and still no joy.

Prior to that message it says "We were unable to create your library folder. Please tell us where you would like us to store your Booksmart data." I have the option to "Quit BookSmart" or "Set Data Location".  I click the latter, pick a location (I have admin rights, so any location should work as far as rights are cocerned, I just pick a slot in My Documents).  Then I get to the message Sandrafig gets.  I leave it there for 15 minutes while doing other things, then check Task Manager in Windows XP and Booksmart.exe is not using any CPU – so it has just hung.

Hmmm?

Took your suggestion tfrankland, but that hasn’t covered this particular issue.

If anyone has any ideas to try that’s be very welcome indeed.   If not, I shall have to hack around in the registry I guess – never a dull moment there

Chris

Posted by
chrislegrice
Mar 31, 2009 2:02am PDT
chrislegrice

Ah… got it!  No registry hacking for me at least…

I had to delete some folders before it would work. If you have any projects already which you’d like to keep, please backup these folders to some other location before you delete them from their original locations!!!

1. Close the BookSmart.exe process first, using Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processess tab.
  2. Uninstall BookSmart, either from Control Panel (classic view) > Add Remove Programs, or from Start > Programs > BookSmart > Uninstall BookSmart.
  3. Don’t need to reboot.
  4. Then, un-hide hidden folders. To do that, head to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folders Options… > View tab > select ‘Show hidden files and folders’ > OK.
  5. Delete the following folders (make a copy of them somewhere else if you have any projects that you want to protect):

C:\documents and settings\myusername\.blurb
C:\documents and settings\my documents\BookSmart
C:\Program Files\BookSmart

Now re-install BookSmart and hopefully it’s all working this time.  If you want to bring back any old projects, you should be able to copy back the relevant files in the folders copied earlier… but I must admit this is my first time with BookSmart so I don’t have anything to bring back…

Anyway, I do hope that helps :-)

Chris

Posted by
chrislegrice
Mar 31, 2009 2:23am PDT
chrislegrice

Thank you, I will try this.

( I read before the first thread, but doens’t help me).

Posted by
sandrafig
Mar 31, 2009 5:15am PDT
sandrafig

Thank you Chris, now its working again! :-)

Sandra

Posted by
sandrafig
Apr 2, 2009 11:01pm PDT
sandrafig

I am having this exact same message.  I tried what you suggested Chris, but it didn’t work.  I am using Windows Vista, would that make a difference?  Thank you though for that.  I will try it again.  I hope this is not just the beginning of problems.  I see a lot of people complaining about the software.

Posted by
shuttersteph
May 20, 2009 12:39pm PDT
shuttersteph

I use a Mac with latest system. Have tried to download new BookSmart several times, go to open and get a crash with response popup. Have tried over and over. Anyone with ideas let me know, looks like a good program, but if you cannot open it; it is worthless.

Posted by
arthawaii
May 22, 2009 10:52am PDT
arthawaii

thanks Chris, good advice.

Worked great. Note you don’t have to  uninstall, or remove /program files/booksmart, just all the other files need deleting. 

I hope booksmart track this down ASAP.

Posted by
kibade
May 25, 2009 4:40pm PDT
kibade