BookSmart

Title page confusion

Hi,

I have just started my book using the guide and template, and I have a single page generated after the covers.  All other pages are two-page spreads which I have now locked together.

I want to know if that single page will be blank on the back (I want it to be).  Do I have to set my next spread with a blank on the left side?  I am very confused, and just can’t get my head around it!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tehkella
May 22, 2009 5:26am PDT
tehkella

Judging from your illustration, the page shown as #2 will be blank.

You will have the usual blank on both sides sheet between the cover and your page #1.  That’s normal and unchangable.  Page #1 (in your illustration) will be on the right.  Page #2 will be on the left when you turn the page and will be blank.  Then, #3 will be on the right.

If you go to "preview book" in Booksmart, it will show it to you as it will be printed, EXCEPT there is a non-printed binding page inserted before #1, blank on both sides that does not show in Booksmart Preview.

I agree, it’s hard to get your arms around understanding the layout, but the Booksmart Preview mode works pretty good for clarifying it.

Posted by
deanej
May 22, 2009 6:26am PDT
deanej

Glad to know I’m not only one unable to figure this out. It hasn’t helped that some of my templates had a blank pg w/no description under it & then a pg described as Title. I’ve found that you need to take a break after spending a lot of time trying to figure it out, come back to it later.  Good luck.

Posted by
loricherokee
May 22, 2009 10:50am PDT
loricherokee

Okay, so if I have this right using the example in my screenshot, my printed book will have:

Front cover

Blank sheet (not shown in preview – both front and back)

My page 1 which is a title page (which I want to be blank on the back) and will show on the right side

page 2 will form the blank back of page 1 (on the left of the 2-3 spread when the book is open)

page 3 my introductory page (on the right of the 2-3 spread)

then the rest of my book, and the back cover.

Does that sound correct?  I agree, I definitely needed a break after working on it for a couple of hours (just fiddling with the text layouts was a challenge!)

Posted by
tehkella
May 22, 2009 6:15pm PDT
tehkella

I think if you go to preview mode of your book you will become more clear.  Just remember that odd number pages (ie: 1,3,5,7) are on the right and even number pages are on the left (2,4,6,8).  So Page 2 will be on the back of page 1 -  page 4 will be on the back of page 3 – etc.

You might want to open a book you have at home just to get a better picture in your mind.

Posted by
Bebensee
May 22, 2009 10:18pm PDT
Bebensee

Thanks, I think I have it figured now.  The single page (designated as page 1) was automatically generated and I was getting confused as to which side that would show up on.  Providing it shows on the right, I can work out the rest :)

Posted by
tehkella
May 23, 2009 12:08am PDT
tehkella

Hello, I have a 40 page 7" book that doesn’t appear to have a blank page inserted after the hard cover. But i think perhaps it did and I think I have made it my inner title page and then my copyright is on the back of this and then the next page (on right in preview) is my Dedication. Is this okay ?

I am assuming if you have a 40 page book -to keep within limits of up to 40 – that the hard cover (or soft cover doesn’t count in the page count. And that page 40 has to have the logo on (blurb or otherwise)...???

One more thing do you know if you have to upload a softcover version AND a hardback version or it that done automatically and you just lose the cover flaps…on the softback

Posted by
anna-o
May 23, 2009 11:20am PDT
anna-o