BookSmart

Locked Updated: June 1, 2009 | New Blurb BookSmart® is here! Flexible containers and 12x12 
Large Square

[Update: We just released a small patch to BookSmart 2.0, to correct a few annoying bugs.]

We’re really excited with this release and as usual, we’re announcing 
it to our forums community before we send out the press release next 
week. BookSmart 2.0, released on May 28, 2009, is one of our most ambitious offerings yet. This latest version incorporates new features 
that a lot of you have been asking for. Here’s what’s new at a glance:

- 12×12 (30×30 cm.) Large Square, available in two Hardcover versions – Dust Jacket 
and ImageWrap

- Flexible containers: Customize your page layouts and covers by 
adding and adjusting text and image containers where you want them

- Save to My Layouts feature (Save your favorite custom layouts)

- Customizable book templates (Save some or all of your book elements to use again and again)

- Find and replace feature

- Greatly improved text handling

- Faster load times for images (especially large ones)

- Support for 24-bit color depth monitor settings

- Improved Vista support

- And as usual, we squashed lots of bugs too numerous to mention here. In other words, BookSmart should behave better.

We have a couple of new tutorials you might want to check out as well: How to customize layouts in Blurb BookSmart and How to create a book template in Blurb BookSmart.

So, everyone, please download and dig in. A full-on announcement comes next week, blog post, press release, you name it.

We cannot wait to hear what everyone thinks.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
May 28, 2009 2:42pm PDT
kathybad

I’m so excited over this latest up-date to Blurb can’t wait to try it out!!  Thank you Blurb for listening to your customers!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
Bebensee
May 28, 2009 11:24pm PDT
Bebensee

Looking forward to trying it!

Posted by
SarahGraham
May 29, 2009 3:40am PDT
SarahGraham

Wow, just what i wanted for so long! 12×12!!! Thanks Blurb

Posted by
fotosenzo
May 29, 2009 7:53am PDT
fotosenzo

is it just me, or is the download speed excruciatingly slow…
i am getting 1.4kb/s from my 6M link in Sydney. Everyone must be trying at the same time.

Should i upgrade to 2.0? has any one done some REAL world testing? more stable than 1.9.9?

Posted by
slashj
May 29, 2009 9:02am PDT
slashj

””is it just me, or is the download speed excruciatingly slow…
i am getting 1.4kb/s from my 6M link in Sydney. Everyone must be trying at the same time.”“

Please ignore this, found the error with my ISP.

Managed to get 2.0, will give it a whirl for my new book.
cheers

Posted by
slashj
May 29, 2009 4:10pm PDT
slashj

I can’t wait to try it.  Thank you Blurb.   This experience with you and everyone has been just so exciting for me.  Thanks again!

Posted by
Cellabella
May 29, 2009 6:28pm PDT
Cellabella

Try to find some way of saving v 1.9 first. I am now stuck with 2.0 and it is definitely slower and much crashier than 1.9. Please make 1.9 available for download.

Please.

Did you test this thing? At all?

Posted by
jshook
May 30, 2009 6:23am PDT
jshook

Downloaded 2.0 , Intel Mac 4gb ram 2.4ghz etc – will not open after installation.
Installation instructions from Blurb are confusing in as much that they do not match what happens when the .dmg file is expanded. Instead of displaying a Booksmart folder, just an appliction icon is available to drag to the harddrive and this seems to install but will not open. If anyone has a solution please let me know. I will also post any response from Blurb customer support.

Posted by
colinturner
May 30, 2009 8:33am PDT
colinturner

Hi folks,

Lots of Blurbarians have succesfully downloaded 2.0 without any problems and new 12×12s are already zipping into our production line. If you have *any* problems with crashes or unusual problems, please fill out the crash reports and let our customer support department know. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
May 30, 2009 7:30pm PDT
kathybad

New ver 2.0 STINKS, AND DOESN"T WORKWARNING!!!! DO NOT INSTALL 2.0 if you already have 1.9.  I installed 2.0 from 1.9 and now all of my books are inaccessible.  After install when I try to launch the program I get "sorry, an error forced booksmart to close" and then nothing.  Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled using Visat admin priveleges, TO NO AVAIL!  Same error message.  Buggy and crappy software.  Install 2.0 ONLY if you like being a beta tester and don’t care if books already created are lost forever.  Very pissed off user.

Posted by
mdo123
Jun 1, 2009 6:50am PDT
mdo123

Installed on my Vista SP2 machine, upgraded from version 1.9.9 and it works beautiful.
Great improvement.

Posted by
ennoterkeurs
Jun 1, 2009 12:02pm PDT
ennoterkeurs

Hi Kathy,

Just installed Blurb Booksmart 2.0 app on Mac Pro with no problem. The installation itself was a blasting fast experience for me, less than 43 seconds.

I had a couple of work-in-progress books from legacy version (the most recent legacy version, I believe, 1.9.9) to 2.0, I am able to open these existing books no problem. What a pleasant experience for me.

I am using latest version, in my case, Mac OS X version 10.5.7. Perhaps some of you at Blurb team are aware that Apple is probably release the new version of Mac OSX version, known as "Snow Lepoard." Hopefully that there is no problem at that time. I will confirm this as soon as the OSX "Snow Leopard" offically release and successfully install on my two macs. Then I will report it back at appropriate time.

As for square book design, I am more than thrilled. I’d be very happy to redesign some of my work-in-progess book project into square book. I am in middle of this project for PBN

Thanks in advance and cordially, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 1, 2009 9:00pm PDT
brianbonitz

Say Kathy,

I would like to know if there is any new B3 icc profile to address specifically for heavy premium "silky" paper? I need to know this, kinda of ASAP. I’d be very happy to report this back once I publish my new sq book and published and receive it. Hopefully it turns out nicely and pleasantly.

Thanks again for all you do, Kathy.

Cordially, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 1, 2009 9:02pm PDT
brianbonitz

I realize that I wasn’t being clear on eventual release of Apple architecture OSX "Snow Leopard", I do not know when it will be released to the market. All I know it is probably matter of time and when… Perhaps soon… As for "exact", I do not know for the answer.

As soon as Apple offically release, I’d be one of these customers buy OSX Snow Leopard ASAP very fast for sure. :)

Cheers, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 1, 2009 9:04pm PDT
brianbonitz

This is such a great news to have such a flexible layout editor in Book Smart V2.0, it surely gives the designer the liberty to work freely for a specific production. Earlier on I had to use the Photoshop to produce the desired paged and then bring them into blurb and I need to change a bit, in size or the location, then again I had to go back to Photoshop to correct and then again bring it back.

But today I designed a 120 Pages book in just 4 hours time. Thank you Blurb for such a great new version of Book Smart.

Cheers, Amer.

Posted by
rohtas
Jun 2, 2009 6:02am PDT
rohtas

Love the positive feedback, everyone. Keep it coming!

Brian – If 2.0 doesn’t work on Snow Leopard, the next version will for sure. We’re Mac crazy here, so we’ll make sure it’s compatible. As for the current B3 profile – it works fine with our Premium Paper.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 2, 2009 9:17am PDT
kathybad

I am currently using Booksmart 1.9.8.2. Can I install version 2.0 and still keep 1.8? My OS is Windows XP.

Artemis

Posted by
artami
Jun 2, 2009 10:34am PDT
artami

TEXT QUESTION: Has anyone been able to/can we re-lock the text box’s so that text will still flow after editing a layout? I am working with a two column layout, and I want to create a larger gutter between the two columns, but when I save the layout the box’s do not re-lock and the text no longer flows.

PLEASE HELP!! I think I will have to switch back to indesign if I cannot figure this out, thank you!

My e-mail address is juliadesantis@gmail.com

Posted by
juliawells
Jun 2, 2009 11:40am PDT
juliawells

Hi Julia,

You cannot relock flowing containers. Once they are broken, they are broken. Our text options are really not that comparable to InDesign or Quark at this time, which can indeed be frustrating to those of you who are used to working that way.

Sorry for the frustration.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 2, 2009 12:15pm PDT
kathybad

Thank you Kathy for the quick response!! Bummer though… I look forward to seeing how BookSmart develops. I really really like the progress so far, but it would be a great improvement if that could work out in the future. Thank you again!

Posted by
juliawells
Jun 2, 2009 12:41pm PDT
juliawells

Best News from Blurb in a long time (12×12). I am psyched! Thanks for listening!

Posted by
Don
Jun 2, 2009 1:11pm PDT
Don

Awesome!!  I’m so glad we can alter the page layouts and save them!  Great work, Blurb! :)

Posted by
Fight2Fly
Jun 2, 2009 8:05pm PDT
Fight2Fly

Hi Kathy,

I have still problems running the new booksmart 2.0 software. I am on a MAC and immediately upon launching the programme it crashes. I am on a 2.33 GHz computer, Mac OS X 10.5.7, have 2GB of RAM and enough disk space and the previous versions of the booksmart software did run on my computer. I have also removed any references to previous versions….

And looking at the other forums, it seems that I am not alone with this problem.

When does this get fixed?

- Uwe

Posted by
rupertbeagle
Jun 2, 2009 11:42pm PDT
rupertbeagle

no support for wordpress.com gallery photo downloads, other than that, looks and works well, but no help to me, yet!

thanks for your efforts

Posted by
jamelia
Jun 3, 2009 4:22am PDT
jamelia

Uwe,

Please make sure you fill out a crash report when BookSmart shuts down and then contact our customer support team. We’ll need your information before we can troubleshoot and then we hope to get you going again.

Thanks for your patience. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 3, 2009 9:04am PDT
kathybad

Kathy,

I have filled out three reports to the technical support team already. Hopefully they are working on a fix for this problem as I don’t seem to be the only one with this problem.

Thanks,
Uwe

Posted by
rupertbeagle
Jun 3, 2009 9:33am PDT
rupertbeagle

I reported this 2x already….This has been a problem for  2 days & I installed it  2x

This is of course having to  do 2 books because the new version chose the wrong size book.

I am not happy right now.

Posted by
dizeimage
Jun 3, 2009 1:47pm PDT
dizeimage

I DOWNLOADED THE NEW BOOKSMART 2.0 ,DRAGGED IT IN APPLICATIONS, THEREFORE REPLACED THE OLD VERSION, TRIED TO OPEN IT AND NO REACTION OTHER THAN TO SEE THE ICON APPEAR FOR HALF A SECOND IN THE TOOLBAR AND THAT’S IT. I AM UNABLE TO USE IT. I USE THE OSX 10.4.11 VERSION ON MY IMAC

Posted by
FEDERALSOI11
Jun 4, 2009 1:59am PDT
FEDERALSOI11

Same here only there wasn’t an application to drag. But I did everything and nothing happened….I really feel like so much of my time was wasted. I am so annoyed & upset.

Posted by
dizeimage
Jun 4, 2009 4:37am PDT
dizeimage

I received an email from the technical support team but the advices didn’t work. I downloaded booksmart again from a different party website with no more luck. I’m definitely upset to say the least

Posted by
FEDERALSOI11
Jun 4, 2009 3:48pm PDT
FEDERALSOI11

Flexible layouts? This is fantastic! The single most wanted feature is here! :)) Thank you.

Posted by
meny_
Jun 4, 2009 11:52pm PDT
meny_

Please make the older Version 1.9 available – Version 2 is impossibly slow. I just cant use it –

I want very much to be able to – I installed 2 but it runs like a do with 3 broken legs – painlfully

Posted by
davidtasker
Jun 5, 2009 9:25pm PDT
davidtasker

I downloaded 2.0 last week and updated a book I have been working on for a while.  Being able to dial in a custom size window for photos and text boxes has been a fantastic change for the better.  I have noticed that 2.0 is much slower than 1.9.9, but, given the greater versatility, I will take slow over "can’t-get-there-from-here-with-what-is-offered-off-the-shelf" any day of the week.  Nice work!

Paul

Posted by
Pkrieg
Jun 6, 2009 6:38pm PDT
Pkrieg

PLEASE MAKE THE 1.9 VERSION AVAILABLE.  I downloaded the new version two days ago and my mouse works erratically with the new program and there is a very long delay when putting in text or deleting text.  Every application is very slow.  I am also frustrated as I was three-quarters into the project.  PLEASE GIVE US BACK THE OLDER VERSION so I can finished this project.

Thank you

Annette

Posted by
akearney
Jun 9, 2009 7:31am PDT
akearney

Yes please, give us back the older version… I don’t know about the other people, but if the older version is not available for me, I’ll have to change… :’(

Posted by
Holoturia
Jun 9, 2009 9:03am PDT
Holoturia

I have downloaded BookSmart 2.0 for the mac (multiple times now) and can’t get it to open… useless

Posted by
sachamaric
Jun 10, 2009 7:18am PDT
sachamaric

I am seriously looking for a new company to complete my book.  I have e-mailed also and tried the suggested ideas and nothing is working.  I have downloaded 2.0 at least 3 times and it doesn’t seem to want to work no matter what I do.  It would not be hard to make 1.9 available – just another button to choose.  CUSTOMER SATISFACTION?????? 

Posted by
sherriannie
Jun 10, 2009 9:43am PDT
sherriannie

Hi,

For those of you stuck with a crashing or not-opening BookSmart 2.0, this workaround might work for you. I’ll post more info when it becomes available.

Thanks for your patience. We know how frustrating this can be. Bottom line is that we want to get you all up and running ASAP.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 10, 2009 1:36pm PDT
kathybad

Text is buggy.  I cannot get the color choices to get live…only off and on.  Are you working on this bug?  Also, how to you access the flexible containers?  Thaks.

Posted by
barbleetondr
Jun 10, 2009 2:43pm PDT
barbleetondr

Looks like I am not only one having problems with new version. Dialog boxes for Borders, Backgrounds and Ornaments open only once, then program draws only white (or sometime textured) box. However if you guess corectly where "More Options" box is, and click on it, secondary "More Options" dialog box opens, you can see it and you can use it. If you close it, primary box closes too. Blub claims that this software is a big improvement. Let’s put it in perspective. There is a lot of screaming from members that software is buggy, slow and (mostly on Macs) does not work. Ability to ctreate custo layots ? We were calling for it for a long time. And it’s very rudimental. Can not rotate containers, can not fade photos, can not create drop shadows. Those features are available for example in Mpix Press software. Your books are great but your software is buggy, slow, outdated. Time to come up with something brand new. And we need PDF support.  

Posted by
mpodsedly
Jun 10, 2009 5:10pm PDT
mpodsedly

Team Blurb,

Please don’t release new software that hasn’t been sufficiently tested. Because of the amount of time that people invest in building their books, it’s particularly irresponsible. 

I’ve just lost a book a put 30 hours into. I can’t remember a consumer software experience that’s been this disappointing.

J

Posted by
jlow887
Jun 12, 2009 1:02pm PDT
jlow887

Hello jlow687;

It’s highly unlikely that you have "...lost a book…" It might take some jiggery to re-open it, but it is almost certainly still there…

Best best is to contact Blurb Tech Support here… They should be able to get you up & running again…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jun 12, 2009 2:13pm PDT
lkb-28

A few days ago I upgraded to version 2.02.02…, but this new program is very sluggish and crashes every time I cut and paste a large amount, and when it does work, the font sizes are all messed up. Two days ago I got a message that many problems were resolved and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade. I closed this message box by accident while exporting the book I was working on, and now I can’t find that upgrade anymore.

Which is the newest version anyway? The version to download is version 2.0. On a video on your website it shows version 4:43. It’s very confusing and frustrating!

I hope that in future Blurb will do better testing before releasing new versions and upgrades and make them all available for downloading (including the older versions).

Posted by
KKeller
Jul 4, 2009 8:51am PDT
KKeller

So many people have posted problem with 2.0 but Technical Support has post no response.  Please PLease PLEase PLEAse PLEASe PLEASE fix 2.0 or put back 1.9 NOW!!!!!  We have work to do, projects to complete.  We need Blurb to be responsive immediately.

Posted by
KimJackson
Jul 11, 2009 11:37pm PDT
KimJackson

No fixes for this problem yet?????  This is my first time making a book…I spent hours on it….it’s for an upcoming wedding and I need to get it ordered. Each time I try to edit the text on the cover layout Book Smart crashes!!!  I’m very disappointed and would have never even started with blurb if I had known.

Has anyone had any sucess???  and if so, could you please share what you did to fix the problem?

Thanks

Posted by
effiemay
Jul 13, 2009 2:43pm PDT
effiemay

Just wanted to come back so I could tell you what I did with success to do the last few edits to my book and get it uploaded and ordered.  I could open book smart but when I went to edit the cover text it crashed.  So I opened book smart again and opened my existing book and made a duplicate copy of it. I had no issues with editing the duplicate copy. YAY!! So some of you may want to try doing it that way.  Hope they get these issues cleared up as I really do like the book smart options over a few others that I checked out before going ahead and designing my first book.

Posted by
effiemay
Jul 14, 2009 9:21am PDT
effiemay

Just downloaded to a mac with no problems…. so far….. but then found much to my surprise that Blurb can not do partial rotation, fades, shadows, etc… pretty basic stuff…, though I did see one example on the website that looked like it has partial rotation on some 35mm film clips.  

Anyway…. can’t use Blurb to do our projects… Too bad, because we have seen some nice books from them before.  Guess we’ll have to use Shuterfly or something else….

Cheers!

Phil

Posted by
pvonstade
Aug 11, 2009 2:59pm PDT
pvonstade

Book Smart no longer works after installing Snow Leopard on my Mac. Why

Posted by
FredFleet
Aug 28, 2009 2:41pm PDT
FredFleet

Patch for Snow Leopard