BookSmart

2.0.0 for Mac Trouble

I download, then then try to open, it opens for a split second and then crashes. Anyone with this same problem? I have sent log data to tech support and not recived any reply. Has anyone published on Booksmart with a new system Mac?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
arthawaii
May 31, 2009 9:04pm PDT
arthawaii

Gee, I feel special. It runs for me. Until I trigger a bug.

I haven’t tried to publish with 2.0. yet. I have a book made with an earlier version, but if I have to publish that again for some reason I will make a copy and try to publish the copy to protect the original from any harm that 2.0 might do to it.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 1, 2009 7:22am PDT
jshook

I would think it is very wise to have backup of all exported book files, and conduct all backups what’s on Mac system and files. I have Time Machine attached to my Mac Book Pro and Mac Pro. The Time Machine connects with a 2 TB external hard drives. Two of them. One of each for laptop and the other for Mac Pro.

Cordially, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 1, 2009 9:07pm PDT
brianbonitz

All of my BookSmart files, as well as other important files, are backed up with "Time Machine by hand"—two 1 Tb drives which I manually synch each day.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 2, 2009 6:17am PDT
jshook

I also have just downloaded 2 version for my G5 Mac. It crashes in seconds. I can’t wait, if they fail to reply. So I am sending my book to another supplier.

Posted by
beimage
Jun 2, 2009 1:16pm PDT
beimage

I get the same. On 10.4.11 running on 2.33 GHz iMac Booksmart doesn’t run at all – it launches and then crashes immediately. I have removed preferences from the previous version and it makes no difference.

Posted by
guyjbrown
Jun 2, 2009 1:28pm PDT
guyjbrown

The same here. Mac Book Pro 2.33 running 10.5.7
Starts for approx 2 seconds then crashes.

Posted by
Brodes
Jun 2, 2009 8:01pm PDT
Brodes

Same here. I have exactly the same problem. The programme starts for about 2 sec then crashes. I have 2GB of RAM, enough disk space and the previous versions did work on my computer. I am also waiting for a response from technical support.

Seems that I am not alone with this problem. One would have thought that the software would be tested before it is released into the public domain…

Posted by
rupertbeagle
Jun 2, 2009 11:30pm PDT
rupertbeagle

hmmm..Same here..luckily i backupped the books..Blurb..please help..Technically(hardware..) speaking there can’t be an problem; 2GB of RAM,140 GB of availbale diskspace..I’m not alone..

Posted by
aramir
Jun 3, 2009 7:18am PDT
aramir

Did anyone get more help than the boiler plate three step clean up/re-install procedure from the technical support people?

Anyone knows when this gets fixed?

Posted by
rupertbeagle
Jun 3, 2009 9:07am PDT
rupertbeagle

Those who are on 10.4.11 or below (like me), its because you’re on Tiger, newer versions of Booksmart appear to be Leopard-only…

Posted by
JTipper
Jun 3, 2009 9:48am PDT
JTipper

All good feedback everyone. We just don’t have a one-size-fits-all fix for everything that’s being described. We need to work on these issues on a case-by-case basis because they are not affecting all Mac users, so the more individual detail we get on everyone’s system setup, the quicker we can diagnose.

Please fill out the BookSmart crash report if this happens to you and then contact Technical Support. We’ll ask for specifics and then get started on investigating. 

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 3, 2009 10:37am PDT
kathybad

Same here, but only on my Mac Pro. On my MacBook Pro it does run OK.

Posted by
JohanElzenga
Jun 3, 2009 11:03am PDT
JohanElzenga

Unfortunately I can’t replicate the problem. Could anyone who experiences this problem on Mac, open a terminal window, type ‘java -version’ and let me know the output it gives you?

Also like Kathy suggested please do contact tech support if it’s crashing for you on startup. That way we’ll be able to collect all the data we need to identify and fix this asap… thanks!

Posted by
sfpeter
Jun 3, 2009 12:34pm PDT
sfpeter

Same problem here – crashes immediately. I reported the problem and received the “clean install” instructions, but no use.

Mac OSX 10.5.7 loads of ram and hard disk space. Could it be the latest 10.5.7 update causing the problems – it worked fine before that?

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 3, 2009 1:44pm PDT
poshbob

Good to know others are having the same problem on a Mac. I have 10.5.7 version on my Mac. I would really like to try this publisher, but they need to get this fixed for all Mac users.

Posted by
arthawaii
Jun 5, 2009 8:24pm PDT
arthawaii

It was working before I installed the 2.0 upgrade, now it doesn’t open, it begins to for about a second then nothing. I am on a macbook pro 10.5.7

Posted by
oneprint
Jun 6, 2009 3:10am PDT
oneprint

Exactly the same problem with my Imac with OSX 10.4.11, IT CRASHES AFTER A SPLIT SECOND Happily my two first books are registered on blurb but for the last one it disappeared totally as well;

Posted by
FEDERALSOI11
Jun 6, 2009 3:53am PDT
FEDERALSOI11

i have the same problem. funny. any solution?

Posted by
lbottan
Jun 6, 2009 8:25am PDT
lbottan

My Mac Pro running on OS X 10.5.7 had problems after BookSmart 2.0 was loaded, and BookSmart crashed when I attempted to reposition a photo within its container.   I disconnected my wireless mouse that connects via a powered 7-port USB bridge and used the original Apple wired mouse.  The crashing went away.  Then I reconnected the wireless mouse via the USB bridge and BookSmart continued to work for me without crashing.  

Also noticed that running BookSmart on Vista on my VMWare virtual machine never had the problem, so I’m wondering if there’s some way that USB connected mice interact with BookSmart—acts as if once ‘trained’, it works from that point on.  No idea why…

Posted by
tedadavis
Jun 6, 2009 11:54am PDT
tedadavis

Problem even worst here. I am on the very last OSX. Updated to Booksmart 2.0, and it will not open at all. Tried downloading three times.
No solution, anyone?

Posted by
Epiquest
Jun 6, 2009 11:55am PDT
Epiquest

Can I suggest that those of you having problems get in touch with system support?

They are on the case for me, but are asking me for a log that I don’t have and are telling me that they have no problems on their own Macs. They appear not to know that there is a problem – I guess they don’t read their own forum!

I uninstalled Booksmart 2 and recovered version 1.9 from Time Machine and it works fine – there is obviously a significant bug in their Mac software, but unless we notify support, they will still think things are OK.

Do they not read this?

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 6, 2009 2:04pm PDT
poshbob

Hi,

poshbob is correct, everyone. Please contact customer support with these issues so we can properly log and identify them. This is a new issue with 2.0 so unfortunately we can’t help in the forums with a quick fix.

And just to clarify, we absolutely read these forums. In fact, if you look above about eight posts up, you’ll see posts from me and my BookSmart colleague. I guess we need to make the Blurb staff labels bigger. ; )

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 6, 2009 3:09pm PDT
kathybad

Kathy – it was a rhetorical question. I know you and sfpeter posted on here, but your tech chaps seem to think it’s my issue rather than yours. Sorry if I have done you a disservice, but I’m just trying to exagerrate for effect!

I need this thing to work and am using the most up to date equipment and OS, so there is clearly a bug somewhere.

Cheers

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 7, 2009 2:42am PDT
poshbob

To add to my previous post.

Having taken a few minutes to read some of the other threads (I guess I should have done so earlier), it is clear that Booksmart version 2 has more bugs than the Ugly Bug Ball. Thank god for Time Machine having the ability to re-install 1.9

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 7, 2009 3:04am PDT
poshbob

The BookSmart 2.0 would not open on my Mac Pro (one year old, regularly cleaned/maintained harddisk and system). After several download/install I gave up, but tried installing on a MacBook Air (last model). Here it worked perfectly the first time. I cannot see myself doing this kind of work on an Air, but someone may have some use for the info?

William

Posted by
Epiquest
Jun 7, 2009 8:30am PDT
Epiquest

Try running Software Update and make sure you have the latest Java libraries.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 8, 2009 7:00am PDT
jshook

Same for me. I have been trying to open 2.0 for two days on my mac pro os x10.5. Followed the advise from tech support on email but no luck.

This is ridiculous.

M

Posted by
mayumih
Jun 8, 2009 8:56am PDT
mayumih

Quote jshook “Try running Software Update and make sure you have the latest Java libraries.”

Makes no difference – I have all the latest updates etc and 2.0 still won’t open, whereas 1.9 is fine.

I wonder if it could possibly be the reverse of that – in other words, the latest update renders Booksmart 2.0 for Mac useless?

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 8, 2009 11:29am PDT
poshbob

No. I have the latest Java update and can run 2.0 fine. Well, as well as it ever runs.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 8, 2009 12:37pm PDT
jshook

That’s just crazy – how can one work and not another?

James

Is it possible for you to post what Mac and OS etc you are on and how you downloaded 2.0 – did you drag it into applications – were there any other folders etc etc? Are you on a core duo or core 2 duo? What were your precise steps?

We must be able to get to the bottom of this.

Many thanks

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 8, 2009 12:46pm PDT
poshbob

It’s a G4, running X.4.11. This a power PC processor, not a core, The machine is about 5 or 6 years old. I downloaded the software from blurb.com. It was a .dmg file. I double-clicked and it mounted as a volume. In the volume’s window there was big BookSmart logo, with intsructions to drag and drop it on my Applications folder. I did so. This caused the copying of a number of files, some of which were .PNG files for themes and borders and so forth, and some were .JAR which I think have something to do waith Java. There may have been other files as well.

I got a minor update from a download site that blurb staff sent me, i.e., not blurb.com. The process was the same. I have since downloaded yet another update from blurb.com itself with the same procedure and results. This is the version anyone can download when they click the "Download BookSmart" from the main page. Unless there has been another update this is version 2.0.28998.

That’s it.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 8, 2009 3:14pm PDT
jshook

Thanks James

I obviously need to get an older mac!

Apart from the mac and OS, another difference is that I don’t get any other folders when I drag the BookSmart icon into my Applications folder – are yours visible without having to control click?

Question to all the other people who have posted that they can’t get version 2.0 to work – what OS are you using; Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)? I know one guy above is on 10.4, but the others all seem to be on the latest OS?

Cheers

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 8, 2009 11:58pm PDT
poshbob

No folders in Applications—just the BookSmart icon. The other files it copies when you install go somewhere else.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 9, 2009 7:07am PDT
jshook

Yes I have. The program doesn’t actually start so it won’t crash. Same problem on two iMacs – one Intel and one PowerMac – both Leopard 10.5. Have older version Blurb on MacBook which I won’t upgrade to 2.0.

Amazingly technical support say I am the only one with a problem with version 2.0. I have being trying for a week now and haven’t heard from tech support at all this week, National holiday in the US?

Posted by
peter_hallam
Jun 9, 2009 2:14pm PDT
peter_hallam

Hi all

We are actively investigating this issue. Just a reminder—if you’re having trouble installing BookSmart 2.0 on your Mac please contact us here at technical support and let us know. Doing so will help us troubleshoot the problem.

Posted by
mikewhy
Jun 9, 2009 3:07pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

Thanks for that Mike – that’s good to hear.

Can I ask why we keep being recommended to contact tech support though – 10 minutes reading these forums should tell you that there are so many problems that this thing shouldn’t even be on release yet?

There must be a common denominator somewhere?

Cheers and thanks

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 10, 2009 12:47am PDT
poshbob

Hi Bob,

The number of people experiencing these problems is actually very, very low compared to the number of people who have downloaded and are successfully using 2.0. I know that doesn’t help you, but if this was something that was happening in much larger numbers, we definitely would not have released it. Bugs get through QA environments all the time in companies both larger and smaller than Blurb.

While it pains us to see you guys having so much trouble, please know that all of the info that everyone gets to us is crucial for us to thoroughly analyze, troubleshoot, and then fix these pesky bugs. Help is on the way. We’ll let you know as soon as we have a solution.

In the meantime, we thank everyone for their patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 10, 2009 9:31am PDT
kathybad

From the data we’ve collected so far, it appears that this issue may have something to do with the Java Virtual Machine and certain java dependencies. There seems to be a disproportionate number of users that are reporting this issue and also have Limewire installed on their system. However, on my system Limewire and BookSmart run fine side by side. So it may be something an older Limewire application or perhaps a different Java based application caused. 

We had one user who is experiencing the problem report that BookSmart did run fine when he ran it from a fresh user account he had created on his mac. We know that this is not an acceptable long term workaround, but it’s something to try for users who are currently stuck while we’re investigating this. 

Posted by
sfpeter
Jun 10, 2009 11:01am PDT
sfpeter

Thanks to Kathy for the update announcement. I already posted in another topic about my difficulties which are the same as those above (phew, glad we have some consistency with the glitch here!): previously made a book using 9.1 but 2.0 not working: downloading, icon jumping up and down in Dock then crashing.

Have also sent my data/console readout/have run Blurb diagnostics and sent to Blurberati. I am on Mac 10.4.11 with Intel. My console talks about java in terms of the problem. I tried the new admin account but it didn’t work for me.

Oh well, these things happen. Much better to not be able to start than work on a book for weeks and then lose it! Am sure it will be fixed soon. I love Blurb and the chance to create books so easily is wonderful. 

Posted by
sparklepetal
Jun 11, 2009 2:07am PDT
sparklepetal

where is the patch kathy mentioned on another thread? i can’t find it. i’m using vista on a very new computer (less than 6 mo old) and 2.0 freezes my entire computer. i followed support instructions to reinstall but still same issue.

:( sad. i had 5 books i was working on

Posted by
poetdiva
Jun 11, 2009 2:39pm PDT
poetdiva

Peter,

I took a look at Terminal instruction as per your note above.

java version "1.5.0_16"
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_16-b06-284)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_16-133, mixed mode, sharing)

In the case of my Mac Book Pro 17" and MacPro, both operating on latest system architecture, OSX version 10.5.7. Both systems are operated on Intel-based.

As for the BookSmart latest version, build 2.0.28998. The performance of BookSmart on my Macs are reasonable satisfactory operation. The only minor possible bug I discovered in BookSmart 2.0 with its inconsistency of measurement, in terms of pixel of height and width in ‘advanced’ mode of Edit Layout vs edit in Booksmart regular editing area’s image containers shows a pixel difference in height and width.

For that inconsitency of pixel measurement, I have communicated with one of Blurb technical support team. I trust and believe that it will be addressed immediately,

And, I would think it would be nice to post the latest version as in "2.0.28998" online right next to Blurb BookSmart download button… or some kind of quick glace on that info. That will helps to reduce the confusion on both side, as Blurbians and Blurb team for that matter.

Hope that some insight be of interest and helpful.

Cheer, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 11, 2009 3:34pm PDT
brianbonitz

I believe i may have found the potential conflict that is causing the startup crash for some people on Macs. This isn’t officially confirmed yet, but I thought I’d put it out there for people who are currently stuck without a working BookSmart. When we can confirm the fix we will make a formal announcement of this workaround, soon followed up by a patch release.

Please try the following:
- go to your home directory in finder, and from there to Library/Java/Extensions (so the full path will be something like /Users/yourusername/Library/Java/Extensions ). If you have this folder on your system and if it contains files with the extension .jar, then please rename Extensions to Extensions.old (or any name other than Extensions).
- now try starting BookSmart again

If this workaround is succesful for you, please let us know here. And if it doesn’t work, please don’t blame me for giving false hope :)
Peter

Posted by
sfpeter
Jun 11, 2009 10:17pm PDT
sfpeter

Peter,

For those who need to identify the filename as you described just now… can you please identify the exact filename, as in "name_of_filename dot jar".

And I had posted the java information, is that what you are looking for? Is it being current to date and the latest. In other words, I am not that fond of Java applet myself.

Please confirm in writing in here, so other Blurarians know what’s happening and try to figure this out.

Cheers, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 11, 2009 11:40pm PDT
brianbonitz

The java information you posted is correct and what we’d expected. The issue is with some files that may exist in your /Users/yourname/Library/Java/Extensions directory. Any file in that directory could potentially create a conflict, so for now I’d recommend renaming the entire Extensions directory.

Posted by
sfpeter
Jun 11, 2009 11:57pm PDT
sfpeter

Hi Peter, thanks for the workaround as posted by yourself. I renamed the Extensions folder and it appears to have worked! So far so good. I will finish my book and upload it for publishing today. Steven

Posted by
svllee
Jun 12, 2009 3:16am PDT
svllee

Blimey – it worked!

Well done Peter. I did the same as Steven above and renamed the java extensions folder and Booksmart 2.0 opened up for the first time.

I guess it would be extremely churlish of me to say that I guess I’ll now find all the other bugs when I start to use the new version – so I won’t say it!

Thanks again Peter and well done.

Cheers

Bob

Posted by
poshbob
Jun 12, 2009 7:49am PDT
poshbob

Peter, you’re a legend! That simple renaming of the Java Extensions file worked for me! YAY! Thank you SO much.

Posted by
sparklepetal
Jun 12, 2009 10:28am PDT
sparklepetal

I had same problem (Booksmart download not working with Mac OS 10.4.11) but checked forum before writing to Blurb. Thanks as solution worked for me as well

Posted by
Ferdy
Jun 12, 2009 11:12am PDT
Ferdy

Great to hear that this workaround has been successful for everyone we’ve heard from so far. After our next BookSmart release you should be able to rename that Extensions directory back to its original name. Do keep in mind that the files in that directory were originally placed there by another application, that you may have installed (and possibly also uninstalled) a long time ago. We haven’t identified which application that is, but if anyone of you starts getting problems with a different application after renaming the Extensions directory, please let us know.

Happy Bookmaking!

Posted by
sfpeter
Jun 12, 2009 2:43pm PDT
sfpeter