BookSmart

Locked V2 crash on "Get Photos" from "My Computer"

Like previous versions, V2 crashes when attempting to load new pictures.  If I click "Get Photos" and then "My Computer", V2 crashes immediately.  With previous versions, I was told to place a copy of "NativeSmart.dll" on the desktop as a workaround—and this kludge worked.  However, with V2, the kludge does not work.  (Yes, I deleted the older version of NativeSmart.dll.)

I’m sure that this bug does not apply to every computer and configuration but it certainly does crash my machine.  Any ideas?

Posted by
gordonsbuck
Jun 2, 2009 1:09pm PDT
gordonsbuck

Apparently the trick is to start a new book and go through the Blurb setup process in the wizard.   Then do "Get Photos" from "My Computer" and everything is properly initialized.  Oh, this is also with NativeSmart.dll on the Desktop.

Gee, I wish this would be fixed.

Posted by
gordonsbuck
Jun 2, 2009 6:07pm PDT
gordonsbuck

Hi Gordon,

We have been unable to reproduce this crash on our end. Of course, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist – i it just means that our computer setups are different than yours. Please fill out the crash report and contact Technical Support. We’ll want to get your system requirenments, images, and exact steps so we can investigate this on our end.

Thanks for your patience. We really want to solve this for you. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 3, 2009 10:31am PDT
kathybad

Kathy, having ‘solved’ the problem, I can’t reproduce it either. 

Posted by
gordonsbuck
Jun 20, 2009 6:18pm PDT
gordonsbuck

I had the same issue when I do the "Get Photos" from "My Computer" ordeal… BookSmart just exits.  I found a simple work around that works for me.

Open Windows Explorer or any file manager you use, select all the image files.  Drag and drop them into the empty thumbnail box under "My Imported Photos".

Hope this helps…

Posted by
ehoo
Jul 9, 2009 1:22pm PDT
ehoo

I am experiencing the same problem — program ‘hangs up’ when I try to load new photos.  I have tried starting with a new book, and using an existing one.  Same problem.  I even downloaded the software again, but it still crashes.

But thanks EHOO <del>- the drag ’n drop works perfectly!!!  :</del>)

Posted by
pengwin
Aug 22, 2009 12:30pm PDT
pengwin

Same problem in the new version – downloaded today, 9/4/10. I’m running Vista and working out of a book I created in the old version. I’ll try the workaround described above and see if it helps.

Posted by
kickabout
Sep 4, 2010 1:44pm PDT
kickabout

Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear about this. Please contact us at customer support for assistance.

As this is an old thread I’m going to lock it. Should you have a question not answered by the info above please either start a new thread or contact us here at customer support.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Sep 7, 2010 8:00am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff