BookSmart

v2.0 - blog book - software is EXTREMELY sluggish..

Just opened a book that had been imported via 1.98.2… in that version, the software worked as normal (sluggish but ok).  I opened the book in 2.0 and the software is almost at a standstill… same book but even trying to just go to the next page can freeze the software.

Windows XP.. Quad core – 4GB system.  Looks like booksmart is only making use of a single core?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Jingothecat
Jun 4, 2009 7:36am PDT
Jingothecat

Hmm.. after using the software for about 10 mins.. the extreme sluggishness seems to have gotten better… could this be something to do with the blog info itself?  Is it trying to do something with this data when it first opens a book?

Posted by
Jingothecat
Jun 4, 2009 8:32am PDT
Jingothecat

It may have been generating scaled images and thumbnails of your imported photos, for internal BookSmart use. And in some cases, when you upgrade from older Booksmart versions, it will discard the existing scaled images and generate them again. This is typically only done once and is done in the background, though it may affect performance of the application a bit until it’s completed. 

Once this is finished, browsing the pages of your book should actually faster than it used to be in previous versions.

Posted by
sfpeter
Jun 5, 2009 11:24am PDT
sfpeter

V.2.0 has been extremely sluggish for me as well. 

I have not been generating any scale images mentioned by Staff above, yet I am experiencing about 2 seconds delay every time I move a mouse.  This is a V.2.0.0 problem.

I have been experiencing several different problems with the newest version: white/blank color  in drop-down box for font and background colors, not being able to grab text, Blurb crashing on me all together and already mentioned the terrible sluggishness (something like 2 seconds delay in response at a time) in addition to it all.  I described some of these problems in greater detail in a different blog.

The sluggishness/delay in response is a serious problem.  I am not able to align pictures on pages properly, even a simple task of enlarging a book on a computer screen is a problem.  Blurb is not workable in this condition.  I cannot move pictures, align them properly, etc.

I opened a ticket with Blurb IT on June 4th and compared the problem to a TV remote when one tries to change a channel by pressing a "next" button.  You press it and there is no action, so you press it and press it again only to realize moments later that you are 5 channels too far ahead now.  With a remote one can at least count number of clickings on a button, with dragging of a computer mouse it is impossible.

The problem has not existed in the past, it is very evident that it relates to the newest version 2.0.0.  I keep only one application, Blurb, opened to ease off for the sake of it working (something I have not been doing in the previous versions, I kept several apps opened at the same time) but it doesn’t improve anything, it slugs and crashes.  I provided all the spects of my notebook to the IT already, it’s not the problem. 

I hope the solution will arrive soon.  Even more so, I hope that going forward Blurb will test, retest and test again any new versions prior to their releases. 

Best regards, Klare

Posted by
talktoyasoon
Jun 8, 2009 8:07pm PDT
talktoyasoon

A few days ago I upgraded to version 2.02.02…, but this new program crashes every time I cut and paste. Two days ago I got a message that this and other problems were resolved and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade. I closed this message box by accident while exporting the book I was working on, and now I can’t find that upgrade anymore.

Which is the newest version anyway? The latest version to download is version 2.0. On a video on their website they show version 4:43. It’s very confusing and frustrating!

I totally agree with you and hope that in future Blurb will do better testing before releasing new versions and upgrades and make them all available for downloading (including the older versions).

Marie

Posted by
KKeller
Jul 4, 2009 8:31am PDT
KKeller