BookSmart

SO FRUSTRATED WITH BOOKSMART 2

I am so frustrated with Booksmart 2 and don’t want to work on this program anymore.  Please give us a version that work.  It takes about 30-45 minutes for the program to full come up and editing is still a nightmare.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mtnflieger
Jun 18, 2009 3:49pm PDT
mtnflieger

are you using windows? If so, you might want to try this workaround: http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/6437  as it’s been known to resolve performance issues for some users.

Hope this helps…

Posted by
sfpeter
Jun 18, 2009 4:11pm PDT
sfpeter

Thank you for the information.  I took a look at the thread and it’s about the the drop down tab.  My problem with B2 is the start up and unable to edit pictures or text in the program.  Like I said, it took about 30-45 minutes for the program to function and even then not normally.  It was working find in the Bsmart .

Do you know of a fix or another source to get the previous program prior to Bsmart 2.

Thanks

Posted by
mtnflieger
Jun 18, 2009 4:35pm PDT
mtnflieger

mtnflieger – try the workaround that sfpeter mentions.  It worked for me.  My ver 2 would, when opening an existing prior version’s book, run very slow, be very unresponsive, and eat all my CPU such that I could not run anything else.  Doing that workaround, which took only a few minutes to put in place, has worked for me.  (but, be a little warned – those instructions were not exactly the steps I needed for my WinXP machine…for example, I did not have anything called "Edit environment variables for your account’ but was able to get one set.)

Randy

Posted by
randythawkin
Jun 19, 2009 5:24am PDT
randythawkin

Thanks Randy…I am not much of computer person and may have to find with computer experiences to help me out.  I will show him the instruction.  I wish Blurb send out an old version so we could continue to work and fix B2. 

Thanks again.

Long

Posted by
mtnflieger
Jun 19, 2009 6:41am PDT
mtnflieger

you on XP?  If so, i can give brief notes here.  its not difficult.

Posted by
randythawkin
Jun 19, 2009 7:00am PDT
randythawkin

that link above is for Vista…here is what I did for XP:

1. Close BookSmart

2. Open Control Panel (Start -> Control Panel)

3. Double Click the System Icon

4. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab

5. Click on the ‘Environment Variables’ button

6. I added my variable to the the ‘System variables’ area.  I suppose it could be added to the ‘User variables’ also but that it not what I did…I clicked on the ‘New’ button under the ‘System variables’ list.

7. For ‘Variable name:’ I added "J2D_D3D" and for ‘Variable value:’ I added "false" and click the "oK" button

8. You should see the new entry in the ‘System variables’ list.  Now click ‘OK’ to close the ‘Environment Variables" dialog box.

9. Click ‘OK’ to close the ‘System Properties’ dialog box

10. Close the Control Panel

11. Run Booksmart and see what happens.

Let me know,

Randy

Posted by
randythawkin
Jun 19, 2009 7:19am PDT
randythawkin

Thanks again Randy for the great explanation.  I will try it right now and lets you know how successful I did.

Long

Posted by
mtnflieger
Jun 19, 2009 10:45am PDT
mtnflieger

Randy,

It worked great now.  Thank you so much.  I am happy again…YEAH

Posted by
mtnflieger
Jun 19, 2009 11:09am PDT
mtnflieger

Good News!!!!  Glad to hear it.  I know about that ‘happy again’ feeling….sure is frustrating when I am over half way done with a photo book and the new version of the app won’t let me work on it.

Let’s do this…search thru these forums for the next week or so, searching for people who are having the same problem, and pass this solution on.  

Randy

Posted by
randythawkin
Jun 19, 2009 11:20am PDT
randythawkin

I am with you on that.   I will pass it along to others.  Wonderful job.  I will have to check out your books?

Long

Posted by
mtnflieger
Jun 19, 2009 2:19pm PDT
mtnflieger

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and the program seemed to start up much faster, but I’m still having a problem with the ‘Get Pictures’ menu requester: a menu box opens but just hangs. After a LONG while, it will respond but only to hang after the very next click or slide action (if I’m selecting or scrolling).  I was running Adobe at the same time, and two days ago I got an "out of virtual memory error" from the system (WinXP), but the system message said it would go ahead and allocate more. I’m thinking I may be running right close to the edge, and BookSmart is having cacheing problems. Does this make sense? I’ve stopped running Adobe at the same time, but as my book has grown (50pages/~300 pics) the problem has gotten worse. This is my first book, so I don’t really know what to expect. I have a 2.8Ghz P4, with 2G Ram: is this enough?  I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Brian

Posted by
BrianRedman
Jun 19, 2009 4:35pm PDT
BrianRedman

Me again.  I should do a little more research before wasting people’s time here. Microsoft’s recommended virtual memory size is about 5 times what my system was set for (although they also recommend a seperate hard drive for the cache; that’ll have to come later.)  I readjusted things according to instructions, and so far the problems have not reoccured. Fingers crossed!

Brian

Posted by
BrianRedman
Jun 20, 2009 9:41am PDT
BrianRedman

mtnflieger – sorry but I have not yet posted any books.  I am working on a photo book with pics of my boys but am no where near done (and, at the rate it is going now…well…..)

Brian – I can certainly see where a larger VM would help.  I may re-check my settings also.

Randy

Posted by
randythawkin
Jun 22, 2009 5:32am PDT
randythawkin