BookSmart

How do I convert BookSmart's *.original files into *.jpg files?

I need help. Lots of help.

I just had a cascade of failures with such perfect timing that I’ve lost about 12,000 photos, among many gigs of other files. My laptop needed a full restore, so I made sure I had backups of everything and wiped it clean to start fresh. Before it could be restored, my backup laptop (which had a copy of all files) suddenly died. When I started to transfer my files from my external hard drive to my restored computer, the hard drive just simply fried itself…taking EVERYTHING with it. 

I can deal with everything being gone – except for my cousin’s wedding photos, as I had the only three copies (two laptops and the external hard drive). However, I was in the process of making a Blurb book with about 150 of them. I still have, by some miracle, a copy of that folder.

I can open the book-in-progress in BookSmart, but how do I get all of the photos back into *.jpg (or other photo) format instead of their current *.original format? 

It’s painful seeing the files RIGHT THERE, but not being able to have "usable" copies/formats.

There has to be a way – please…help me avoid/fix this catastrophe.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
shaynekaye
Jun 26, 2009 2:03am PDT
shaynekaye

Hello shaynekaye;

Really sorry to hear of your problems – what a bummer!

BUT – all is far from lost…

First off – take your drives to a recovery expert! You will be amazed at just how much they can recover from apparently dead drives… You’ll have to Google one out for wherever you are located…

Next – to bulk rename the .original files do this;

- Copy all the .original files to a holding folder on your C:\ drive. Call the folder "BS_TEMP"

- Open up a DOS Command window. [Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Promp]

- You will get a black background window with a flashing cursor…

- Type : C:\  and hit enter… Just to make sure you are at the C: prompt

- Type : cd\bs_temp and hit enter…

- Type : rename *.original *.jpg and hit enter… NOTE the spaces between rename and *.original and between original and *.jpg

- You will then see a list of renamed files with the extention of .jpg

- Type : exit  and hit enter…

That will close the Command Prompt window. Your files will now open in any image editing software, but…

Now you need to do a batch re-name from that horrendously long file name back to something manageable – like "wedding####.jpg where #### will be an incremental number. You can do this in any image editing software. I like ACDSee for the ease that you can do so… You can download a trial version from here if you don’t have it…

Hope that all helps;

GOOD LUCK !

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jun 26, 2009 5:47am PDT
lkb-28

I’m honestly shaking a little bit and close to tears.

It worked.

There are no words for how much I love you. 

I don’t even really have anything to add to that, aside from the fact that you just saved 320 wedding photos nine days before their first anniversary.

Thank you.

~Shayne

Rings

Posted by
shaynekaye
Jun 26, 2009 9:41am PDT
shaynekaye

That is great. It works on Windows XP and Vista but, does not work on windows 7.
How can I do the same using windows 7?

Thank you so much

Posted by
cad1
May 23, 2013 10:23am PDT
cad1

It’ll work.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 23, 2013 11:08am PDT
tfrankland

Well, I had the same problem with windows 7 not working.  I assume the * is in place of the name of the book.  I followed all the instructions and kept getting the warning that it was the wrong syntax.  I had the same litany of crashed computers and failing external hard drives, so i was really excited I would get these photos back. Help!  Thanks, Corky

Posted by
corkyt
May 24, 2013 10:13pm PDT
corkyt

I guess I’m unclear as to the *.original files and how to copy them.  I have spent eons on the command prompt and am definitely doing something wrong.  More help, please, Tony!!  Corky

Posted by
corkyt
May 25, 2013 10:16pm PDT
corkyt

Leave the * as it is. It is a “wild card” character.

*.original means: any file that matches the pattern “[any file name].original”

Posted by
jshook
May 26, 2013 7:57am PDT
jshook

corkyt,

I’m staying with friends for a long weekend and only have access to their mac. I’ll be home late tomorrow and have access to my Windows 7 PC again, if you still feel you need help let me know and I’ll try and post some screenshots walking you through the process.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 27, 2013 10:30am PDT
tfrankland

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had a similar experience losing files (the first year of my babies life!) and was able to recover them. Thank you Tony!

Posted by
wil06024
Feb 27, 2014 9:06am PDT
wil06024

And thank you from me as well – much appreciated.

Posted by
jcrane22
Jun 12, 2014 1:45am PDT
jcrane22