BookSmart

JRE and security

The version of BookSmart I currently have came with Jre ver6.0.13 installed in a BookSmart subfolder. That version has security vulnerabilities which were patched in the latest version, 6.0.14, and a new version, 6.0.15, is being released to the public, I believe, tomorrow.

In any case, I don’t want to keep earlier buggier versions on my box. Can I replace version 6.0.13 without breaking BookSmart?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Zelbstzz
Jul 29, 2009 4:57pm PDT
Zelbstzz

I think it is best for you to contact Blurb Tech Support.

Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jul 29, 2009 10:47pm PDT
brianbonitz

I have no information that indicates there would be any need to worry about the security of your system due to 1.6.0_13 being shipped with BookSmart, but if it makes you feel better, you should be able to swap out the JRE with 1.6.0_14. In fact, the next BookSmart release will be shipped with that version (or possibly even with the new 1.6.0_15) and we are already running with 1.6.0_14 in development without any issues so far.

That said, I don’t think there’s any need for the average user to be concerned or believe it’s necessary to swap out the JRE. I’m just saying that from what we’ve learned so far it shouldn’t hurt. 

Posted by
sfpeter
Jul 30, 2009 10:56am PDT
sfpeter