BookSmart

French quotes in English text

I am writing English text in Blurb and I want to include some quotes written in the French language. How do I insert the special accented French letters, and how do I check the spelling of the French bits?

Thanks, Jeff

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jeffsubi
Aug 5, 2009 9:53pm PDT
jeffsubi

Hi Jeff,

there are two approaches to the French characters.

First (if you are using Windows) is the Character Map which will let you select those characters and paste them into your book. You’ll find that here  Start…..Accessories…..System Tools…..Character Map. I’m sure a Mac would have something similar.

Second approach is to use the numeric pad on the right of your keyboard. If you hold diwn the ALT key then type in a 4-digit code you’ll get a special character. e.g. a with a cicumflex is ALT 0226 like this â. You’ll find a list of those codes for French here.

You can’t use BookSmart for your spellchecks, it only recognises American, not even English.

What I have to do (I’m English) is copy, page by page or container by container, the text into MS Word and use its spellchecker. VERY long winded though. If you did that, or to Open Office equivalent,  you’d need to select the French dictionary from the preferences panel.

……Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 5, 2009 10:40pm PDT
tfrankland

Excellent advice, Tony!  I always marvel at your knowledge, and how you are able and willing to help so many bookmakers.

I usually cut-and-paste foreign-language texts from Word documents.  The ‘Insert: Symbols’ tool provides absolutely all the symbols/accents I will ever need, and more.  I didn’t know about the numeric pad functions, though.  I learned something new, again.  Thanks!

Good luck with your book, Jeff!

Posted by
EchoPrints
Aug 11, 2009 8:39am PDT
EchoPrints