BookSmart

Locked Mac users: Snow Leopard update and patch

As some of you probably know, Apple has released its latest OS X version, Snow Leopard, on Friday, August 28.

UPDATE: BookSmart now includes the patch discussed in this forum thread. Now that the patch is included in BookSmart just download the most recent version of BookSmart to get things working. Consequently, this post has been updated to remove patch information, but we’ve retained the thread.

Download BookSmart

If you’re still not successful in getting BookSmart running on Snow Leopard, please contact customer support.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on making our Snow Leopard patch better.

- Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Aug 27, 2009 8:36am PDT
kathybad

I’ve upgraded today and BS won’t open up now. I downloaded the app again but still nothing.

Posted by
uptherighttr
Aug 28, 2009 2:17pm PDT
uptherighttr

I have Snow Leopard but haven’t installed yet. Three BS books in progress. Way too many hours invested to risk loosing now. How will we know when the patch is available without checking back here constantly? Thanks

Posted by
Xanguin8ed
Aug 28, 2009 2:33pm PDT
Xanguin8ed

Please post via email as soon as the patch is available.

Posted by
gottula
Aug 28, 2009 2:41pm PDT
gottula

I too have upgraded to snow leopard and have downloaded and installed the aforementioned patch…

Booksmart still refuses to open. :(

Posted by
bridgeandtom
Aug 28, 2009 10:36pm PDT
bridgeandtom

Nice try … please let us know when you have a patch that works.

Posted by
gottula
Aug 29, 2009 12:54am PDT
gottula

same problem… hope to get an update soon!

Posted by
Vectrus
Aug 29, 2009 3:13am PDT
Vectrus

Same problem even with patch.

Posted by
uptherighttr
Aug 29, 2009 4:00am PDT
uptherighttr

If your “patch” worked for a few weeks, what happened to ours? I hope you have an answer very quickly!!!!

Posted by
NancyHalphen
Aug 29, 2009 5:35am PDT
NancyHalphen

I had the same issue where I have upgraded to Snow Leopard. Make sure that you’ve quit out of BookSmart before running the patch. I still had it “open” (or as open as it would get) when I ran the patch and it didn’t seem to do anything. After quitting and running the patch it prompted asking which installation you wanted patched (I only had one install available to choose) and it worked fine.

Back up and running in BookSmart without and problems. Thank you for a quick patch release Blurb!

Posted by
StephenChris
Aug 29, 2009 6:09am PDT
StephenChris

I received the same prompt, but there wasn’t an installation to choose? What can I do?

Posted by
NancyHalphen
Aug 29, 2009 6:22am PDT
NancyHalphen

Same as NancyHalphen for me. I saw the prompt, but it wouldn’t let me select an install — the window was simply blank. It wouldn’t let me drag and drop the app into the patch prompt from Finder. My BookSmart is installed in the Applications folder as it should be, so that shouldn’t be the issue.

Posted by
gamespite
Aug 29, 2009 6:47am PDT
gamespite

Same Problems here, dialog box to choose booksmart version is blank and it doent pop up will after install.  Should this be the case? I would think you choose the version before you install

Posted by
jtamagini
Aug 29, 2009 7:19am PDT
jtamagini

I’ve downloaded Snow Leopard Patch but still can’t open my blurb program!

Posted by
darwinfenner
Aug 29, 2009 7:24am PDT
darwinfenner

I tried what stephenChris did and now I can open BS software. The problem is now ALL my books have gone!

Great!!!!

Posted by
uptherighttr
Aug 29, 2009 7:30am PDT
uptherighttr

Ok had some problems but repaired permissions with disk utility and now booksmart opens fine.

Posted by
keef476
Aug 29, 2009 7:32am PDT
keef476

uptherighttr: Have you looked in Library/ApplicationSupport/Booksmartdata for your books?

Posted by
keef476
Aug 29, 2009 7:35am PDT
keef476

Yes I have looked in there. 1 book is missing and if I try opening another book it doesn’t load anything apart from an empty template.

Looked into my time machine backup and it was great to see that Library/ApplicationSupport/Booksmartdata is not in there!!!

although my folder is titled BookSmartData_2009Jun12102433, is that the same as anyone elses?

Posted by
uptherighttr
Aug 29, 2009 7:54am PDT
uptherighttr

The patch isn’t working for me as well. When prompted to select the BS version it doesn’t give me any options. Yes, my BS is in the applications folder. Glad I backed up my nearly complete 300 page BS project onto an external drive before I loaded Snow Leopard!

This patch still needs work…sigh. I wanted to finish the book this weekend and order the first copy on Tuesday. Help!

Posted by
GreyKitty
Aug 29, 2009 9:25am PDT
GreyKitty

When I first ran the patch, it didn’t work at all. It didn’t ask for which BookSmart version to use either. Then, I repaired permissions, ran the patch again, and finally got a prompt to select the version. Now, my BookSmart works just fine. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing if the single file that needed to be repaired (private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default) is related to BookSmart or not. Perhaps the programmers could at least verify that this isn’t one of Blurb’s files.

Posted by
montizumi
Aug 29, 2009 9:41am PDT
montizumi

As a follow-up, the repaired file in my previous post appears to have nothing to do with BookSmart. Therefore, I can’t say for sure why BookSmart works for me now, i.e., may not be a permission problem. It might be worth running the patch again to see if it works for all of you the second time around, although I’m sure many of you have already done that.

Posted by
montizumi
Aug 29, 2009 10:00am PDT
montizumi

ok, so i re-tried…and it worked for me. things to note when installing:

- make sure booksmart is not running
- make sure BEFORE you open booksmart, you pay attention for the “automator” pop up that asks you to choose which booksmart version you want to apply the patch to… this must be chosen upon completion of the installation BEFORE trying to open booksmart again.

during the first failed attempt, i definitely did not have booksmart running, but i don’t remember seeing the final popup that i had to click on before running booksmart.

-t

Posted by
bridgeandtom
Aug 29, 2009 10:53am PDT
bridgeandtom

I still have the problem of losing books though. Two books have pretty much gone and they were both ready for ordering. Was just waiting for client to give me the go ahead.

they’re really going to be upset!

Posted by
uptherighttr
Aug 29, 2009 11:11am PDT
uptherighttr

I just un-installed BS and then re-installed, then re-installed “patch” and it still doesn’t work. This is very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
NancyHalphen
Aug 29, 2009 11:29am PDT
NancyHalphen

Yes, I tried the repair permission idea and that didn’t help I’ve tried numerous times to use the patch, but again the pop up window that asks which copy of BS I want fixed is empty of choices. I’ve downloaded BS again and again. BS is in my applications folder. Still no joy. Again, glad I had saved my huge BS project on an external drive; but I know that when you import BS projects the fonts many of the fonts get changed and will have to be put right on nearly 100 pages of the book. Been thru that before…

Posted by
GreyKitty
Aug 29, 2009 11:34am PDT
GreyKitty

Sorry to hear about the trouble some people are having with their Snow Leopard patch. To anyone who is having problems with the patch, please double check the following:

- make sure that BookSmart isn’t running before you start the patch installer. Doublecheck with the activity monitor application (in /Applications/Utilities) if necessary that BookSmart isn’t running.
- our patch is distributed as a zip file. After extracting it on your system, make sure to double click on the ‘BookSmart patch (Snow Leopard)’ icon to actually run it.
- when the patch runs, it will scan your system and looks for any Booksmart installations. You should see a popup that should list the locations of your BookSmart installs. Two things to note here:
1 – if you installed booksmart in a non default location, our patch may not find it. If your booksmart application isn’t displayed in the list while running the patch, you may temporarily want to rename it to ‘BookSmart’ and move it to your /Applications path. After running the patch, it should be safe to move it back to where you had it before.
2 – If you had installed BookSmart in multiple locations, our patch application may only be able to patch one booksmart instalation at a time. You may need to run it again to patch the other installations.
3 – it may take a while for the patch to scan your system for BookSmart installs… so please be patient. 

Finally, if you want to verify that the patch indeed ran ok, please browse to your BookSmart installation in Finder, then ctrl-click on the BookSmart icon and select ‘show package contents’. Then browse to Contents/Resources/Java/Lib and verify that you see a file named ‘booksmart-jdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar’ . If this is the case, the patch completed succesfully and your BookSmart should run fine.

If you are still having problems, please contact customer service. Our patch only makes a very minor modification to your BookSmart installation, it should not change any of your settings, and I can’t think of any ways it could actually cause anyone to lose books or other data. But if you believe this did happen to you, please contact Customer Service and we’ll help you get up and running again. 

thanks
Peter

Posted by
sfpeter
Aug 29, 2009 11:39am PDT
sfpeter

Peter, I do not find “booksmartjdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar” in the aforementioned folder so the patch did not install.

I followed all your instructions. What next?

Posted by
GreyKitty
Aug 29, 2009 11:49am PDT
GreyKitty

BTW, when I try to install the patch it says the installation was successful and THEN the window pops up asking me to choose the BS to apply the patch. It does not ask for the location of BS BEFORE the install process.

Just tried it all again and once more the window is empty…

Posted by
GreyKitty
Aug 29, 2009 11:53am PDT
GreyKitty

The patch doesn’t work for me either and I think I followed all the instructions???

Posted by
cmphotog
Aug 29, 2009 1:15pm PDT
cmphotog

Same problem here. The patch doesn’t work and I follow  exactly the instruction.

Posted by
lucag65
Aug 29, 2009 1:39pm PDT
lucag65

I have followed all the instructions many many times and still nothing…

Posted by
cjc203
Aug 29, 2009 2:12pm PDT
cjc203

2nd run of the patch made it for me too.

Posted by
Vectrus
Aug 29, 2009 3:12pm PDT
Vectrus

Patch worked like a charm. Thanks!

Posted by
tedyc03
Aug 29, 2009 4:31pm PDT
tedyc03

I reinstalled Snow Leopard. Then I re-downloaded the BS patch. This time when I attempted to install I never got the pop open window asking for me to choose the BS to patch. Still no joy with BS.

Posted by
GreyKitty
Aug 29, 2009 5:47pm PDT
GreyKitty

Still no luck. I still get the blank BS install window via Automator, even after letting it search for the application for half an hour. I even renamed my drive “Macintosh HD”! Any chance we could just get the updated .jar file and drop it into the app package ourselves, or would that not work?

Posted by
gamespite
Aug 29, 2009 6:06pm PDT
gamespite

If you run the installer, even if the install fails, the updated jar will (should?) be sitting in the folder:

/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/BookSmart

The .jar file is there, and you can copy it directly into the location that Peter suggested to check.  The only other thing you would need to do is add an entry in your Info.plist (If you show the package contents of BookSmart application).  Open Info.plist with TextEdit, and right below the string <array>, add a line that says:

<string>$JAVAROOT/lib/booksmartjdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar</string>

A few things to make sure of:

1. You don’t have BookSmart running.

2. You’ve only got one BookSmart install, and it’s named BookSmart.

3. Your BookSmart install is on your internal hard disk drive.

4. You’ve got Administrator permissions to the following folders (by default this should be true, but permissions problems tend to quietly fail):

/Applications/BookSmart

I would highly recommend calling up customer support prior to trying my instructions yourself.

Best Wishes, 

-kevin

Posted by
buoren
Aug 30, 2009 1:11am PDT
buoren

I experienced some of the problems that other users have when trying to install the patch and I would like to just make this observation …

When the patch is running, there is no progress window open: it only shows the name of the patcher in the top left of your menu bar. It’s easy to miss that the patcher is running at all and you can launch BookSmart not realising that it’s still running. Only when it completes the scan of your system, and my external hard drives too as it happens, will you see the dialogue box asking you which BookSmart installation to patch.

On my second attempt at running the patch, now realising what was going on in the background and waiting for some time, did it all work and I’m pleased to see that all my extremely important wedding album designs are still there!

I hope this is useful. In a nutshell then, if you see the patcher listed in the top left of your menu bar; sit tight and wait for the dialogue box to appear before launching BookSmart.

Posted by
magreen
Aug 30, 2009 1:58am PDT
magreen

I have tried EVERYTHING that has been suggested and NOTHING has worked!! I guess I’m going to have to backtrack to MAC OS X 10.5 and I’m not looking forward to it, but I have no choice. I give up!! My wife is NOT HAPPY with me for upgrading.

Posted by
NancyHalphen
Aug 30, 2009 4:05am PDT
NancyHalphen

I just looked at the “booksmartjdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar” file that I copied into the package contents of Booksmart and it says it’s a “document” file not a “JAVA_JAR” file. This doesn’t make sense. I don’t think that is what it is supposed to be or am I mistaken??

Posted by
NancyHalphen
Aug 30, 2009 4:13am PDT
NancyHalphen

I attempted all of the suggestions and still no luck. Someone please help.

Posted by
jrbailey82
Aug 30, 2009 8:05am PDT
jrbailey82

I followed kevin’s instructions above, worked perfectly…except you need to change the name of the .jar file from

booksmart-jdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar_2009.8.25 to

booksmart-jdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar.

You also need to add a dash in the info.plist entry. This is the correct entry:

<string>$JAVAROOT/lib/booksmart-jdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar</string>

Hope this helps

Robb

Posted by
emmaus777
Aug 30, 2009 8:52am PDT
emmaus777

Thanks, buoren and emmaus777! That did the trick.

Posted by
gamespite
Aug 30, 2009 9:24am PDT
gamespite

Still having problems. Patch is not going into the Booksmart folder. I tried fixing permissions. Nothing happened. When the pop-up comes up after the install of the patch, there is no locations shown for Booksmart. It is inside the application folder.

Frustrating.

Can I copy the string above and drop it in where it belongs? According to the patch install page, it was successfully installed.

Posted by
Stevej46
Aug 30, 2009 9:50am PDT
Stevej46

I ran spotlight.. the file.. booksmart-jdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar_2009.8.25 was not found.

Posted by
Stevej46
Aug 30, 2009 10:00am PDT
Stevej46

Go to /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/BookSmart and see if it’s there.

Robb

Posted by
emmaus777
Aug 30, 2009 10:03am PDT
emmaus777

emmaus777,

Praise the Lord, you have the fix. I have been trying EVERYTHING and your instructions finally worked. Thank you sooo much!!!

Posted by
NancyHalphen
Aug 30, 2009 10:48am PDT
NancyHalphen

I finally got Booksmart to open in using Snow Leopard…

These are the instructions that worked for me:

Thanks Kevin

If you run the installer, even if the install fails, the updated jar will (should?) be sitting in the folder:
The .jar file is there, and you can copy it directly into the location that Peter suggested to check. The only other thing you would need to do is add an entry in your Info.plist (If you show the package contents of BookSmart application). Open Info.plist with TextEdit, and right below the string <array>, add a line that says:
<string>$JAVAROOT/lib/booksmartjdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar</string>

A few things to make sure of:
1. You don’t have BookSmart running.
2. You’ve only got one BookSmart install, and it’s named BookSmart.
3. Your BookSmart install is on your internal hard disk drive.
4. You’ve got Administrator permissions to the following folders (by default this should be true, but permissions problems tend to quietly fail):
/Applications/BookSmart

I would highly recommend calling up customer support prior to trying my instructions yourself.

Best Wishes,
-kevin

Posted by
Stevej46
Aug 30, 2009 11:31am PDT
Stevej46

Our apologies for all the trouble some of you have to go through to get BookSmart running again in Snow Leopard. Our patch was tested internally and worked fine, but there are a large number of different software and hardware configurations out there, and we are still investigating why the patch doesn’t work on some of them.

In the meantime, I’ve put together an alternative patch that doesn’t come with the automated installer (which apparently was causing the problem for many of you). The installation steps are slightly more involved than the original patch(though simpler than Kevin’s instructions above). 

We recommend these instructions for anyone for whom our patch instructions in the top of this thread doesn’t work. 

1 download our alternative patch http://downloads.blurb.com/booksmart/SnowLeopardAltPatch.zip and extract the file on your desktop or any other location you prefer.

2 make sure Booksmart is not running before you start the next steps

3  Open a finder window, browse to your Applications folder, and ctrl-click on BookSmart, then select ‘Show Package Contents’.

4 rename the Info.plist file in the Contents folder (in the BookSmart archive) to Info.plist.old

5 copy the Info.plist from the downloaded patch to the Contents folder of the BookSmart application archive (so it basically replaces the old one that you just renamed)

6 navigate to the Contents/Resources/Java/Lib folder in the BookSmart application, and copy the booksmart-jdkbridge-1.0-jdk6.jar  from the patch zip archive into this Lib folder. 

7 at this point you should be able to start BookSmart again

These steps should work for most, if not everyone of you for whom the original patch doesn’t work. We are investigation the issue with the original patch and hope to release a patch that works for everyone as soon as possible. 

Thanks for your patience with this,
peter

Posted by
sfpeter
Aug 30, 2009 1:08pm PDT
sfpeter

Peter – That did it for me! Thank you so much!

Posted by
loloyoyo
Aug 30, 2009 1:25pm PDT
loloyoyo

Peter that worked like a charm!  Thanks for the manual install files

Jeff

Posted by
jtamagini
Aug 30, 2009 5:26pm PDT
jtamagini