BookSmart

Still having trouble with Booksmart on Snow Leopard? - Try this..

Hey,

My girlfriend was having a whole heap of trouble getting the various patches to work so we sat down together and had a look at it.

Yesterday we tried downgrading her Java version from 1.6 (Standard in Snow Leopard) to 1.5 (The one required by BookSmart).

I had a look in the info.plist file, which has been mentioned numerous times in other threads and noticed this line:

<string>/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/lib/ext</string>

I remembered working with the java framework versions yesterday and decided to try and change the path to what I belived to be the correct one.

I changed the line to be:

<string>/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/ext</string>

and now her BookSmart works like a charm again.

I did all this after installing the alternative patch manually (http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/7106#posts-30236).

As I said in the beginning, if you’ve tried everything and it still doesn’t work this might be worth a shot :)

Oh and blurb.. Your preview doesn’t work properly :)

/Chris

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
abzinthia
Sep 5, 2009 8:07am PDT
abzinthia

Be aware that there’s a ) at the end of the link I posted. The correct is the following:

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/1/topics/7106#posts-30236

Posted by
abzinthia
Sep 5, 2009 8:08am PDT
abzinthia

Though it does work, I wouldn’t recommend downgrading JDK6 to JDK5 on Snow Leopard. We’ve only heard of a couple of incidents where both the regular and the manual alt patch didn’t work, and for anyone for whom neither has worked, I’d recommend contacting Customer Service. They should be able to help you get up and running without the need to downgrade the Java support of your new Snow Leopard machine. 

Posted by
sfpeter
Sep 9, 2009 10:11am PDT
sfpeter

Finally!!!!! I went on mac.com, looked up support. They have a Snow Leopard fix download. All my programs work again.

Lorrie

Posted by
lconino
Sep 18, 2009 8:21am PDT
lconino