BookSmart

Locked A new version of BookSmart is ready for download!

Hey everyone,

BookSmart 2.5 is here. Our final release of the year. Curious as to what this version gives you? Easier custom layout features, for starters. Here’s the complete scoop …

– Content preview in layout editor. BookSmart now allows you to view your text and images while designing your layouts. Make exact content changes the way you want them, the first time.
– Snap to grid. For those of you used to working in design programs, BookSmart now gives you the ability to automatically align image and text containers to grids, whether you’re working in centimeters, pixels, or inches.
– Set images as a background. Now, a single click lets you use any image as a background on which you can place text and other images.
– Aspect ratio locking. Set your image containers to common photo ratios (3:4, 2:3, etc.) and keep images in proportion as you resize. Yay.
– Auto fit to image. Resize containers to fit your exact image dimensions in a single click.
– Trim guidance. We’ve heard your requests, so BookSmart now includes guidance for trim lines and safe area to ensure your critical content is not cut off during production.
– Improved image library management. View your entire image library from any source in a single location. Quickly find the images you need with improved sorting and filtering options and take a closer look in the new pop-out library.
– Contextual resource library. Get help on the topics you need where you need it with improved step-by-step guidance, updated tooltips, and a full contextual help library right in BookSmart.
– Full support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7.
– TypePad Slurper back up and running again.

That’s a good number of new things. Oh, and as usual, we’ve squashed a bunch of bugs. You should notice an improvement in performance and stability in the latest version of BookSmart.

Ready to download?

Let us know what you think.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 24, 2009 1:08pm PDT
kathybad

I’m new to Booksmart, just about to start work on my first book but even to me there’s some impressive new features here.  Cool.

Posted by
shinephoto
Sep 24, 2009 5:09pm PDT
shinephoto

Also this version of booksmart is crashing on my system, I cannot work since last Snow Leopard upgrade, I sent you the error via customer support this morning…

Posted by
carodani
Sep 25, 2009 9:47am PDT
carodani

When you go in to edit a layout of a page, it alters the font of my text in the text boxes. I am also finding this version extremely slow! I like the crop marks and such, but other than that, I wish that I had not downloaded this new version.

Posted by
rica
Sep 25, 2009 7:01pm PDT
rica

crashing again with snow leopard on a Mac pro 8 core!!!!

Posted by
pme
Sep 27, 2009 7:52am PDT
pme

I just checked it out, gave it a try. Seems to be working for me right now. I have, however, occassionally run into various problems w/the software no matter what version. I live in a 16-story  high rise w/Time-Warner bundled TV, phone cable. I think part of my problem may be that there are lots of computer users here. The problems seem to occur at what I think is probably peak user time.

Posted by
loricherokee
Sep 27, 2009 9:37am PDT
loricherokee

I have tried to slurp my blog with this newest version of BookSmart. Unfortunately….. still not working. Any suggestions how to get the blogs into a book?

Posted by
theatammer
Sep 28, 2009 8:47am PDT
theatammer

I’m not happy with the new version. I have Mac Leopard and it works OK but I don’t like having the text or photos showing in layout design. Where are the little arrows to help move the text and image boxes? I can’t relocate the photo within the image box on the page. Making or improving my own layout design is a lot harder. The trim guidance is good and I’m glad I can turn it off. It all seems harder. I wish I had the old version back. I’m going to get Snow Leopard this Fall and I’m worried about problems. Can you guys fix the bugs or simplify the program?

Posted by
robynmar
Sep 29, 2009 9:35pm PDT
robynmar

Actually I had to use Photoshop to edit each page and then use my old powerbook g4 to put them together with BookSmart, a lot of time just because I cannot use BookSmart anymore on my Snow Leopard machine…… that’s really crazy stuff….

Posted by
carodani
Sep 30, 2009 2:35am PDT
carodani

would like to know if you download new version and I"m currently have a book in progress with old version.. Will it be OK to load the new version.. Will things stay the same as I have them now…Will I loose everything??

Posted by
gonzofamily
Oct 1, 2009 3:58pm PDT
gonzofamily

Yes, what happens to a saved book when you download 2.5? I have not been able to determine where on my Mac my book is saved – it looks like BookSmart saves it within the program itself. So when you download 2.5 are your old books erased because one program replaces the other, or do you simply open the old program to access them?

Posted by
jmhellman
Oct 1, 2009 4:20pm PDT
jmhellman

I have LOVED the new version and the ability to manage my own layout.  Thanks for the upgrades

Posted by
SherineH1
Oct 1, 2009 5:21pm PDT
SherineH1

HUGE bug with the new 2.5 software… any photos you have in iPhoto ALWAYS show up in “My Photos” for a project. Very bad.

Posted by
angelocikes
Oct 1, 2009 6:29pm PDT
angelocikes

New version is extremely slow on my iMac (running Leopard). Text frequently changes size and font style when cutting and pasting. Photos in library continually change, frequently showing the entire iPhoto library (not exactly convenient when there’s thousands and thousands of photos in there). The program also frequently shuts down, to the point where the bugs make it practically unusable.

Please fix ASAP!

Posted by
beaker1827
Oct 2, 2009 1:46am PDT
beaker1827

To all Blurb users!

DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION 2.5!

Did upgraded latst night and made the biggest mistake of my life. The feature that tells you which photos have been used doesn’t work! I’ve been working on a book that has1400 photos and I ‘m half way through and since I’ve upgraded to the latest version it doesn’t tell me which photos are used….this is a nightmare!

Does anyone have the previous version of Blurb they can email me? It would be a great help!

I emailed tech support…I hope there is a fix! 

Thanks!

Posted by
antoniohavoc
Oct 2, 2009 6:28am PDT
antoniohavoc

2.5 DOESN’T RUN ON MY MACHINE

I’m in the middle of a 440 page book with over 1500 photos…I upgraded and now I cannot even launch Booksmart.  I’m running a new/powerful PC using OfficePro…nothing cutting edge or high-tech or goofy.  I cannot even uninstall the new version using the uninstaller or control panel / add remove software. 

UGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
bhbbhb
Oct 2, 2009 1:14pm PDT
bhbbhb

Hi,

Sorry to hear that the latest release isn’t working for you. This unfortunately happens to a few people just after a new release. If you’re on a Mac and using iPhoto, we have gotten reports of a few problems. Really sorry for the inconvenience here. We’re working on a patch for this problem now and plan to release it in the next few weeks. 

Please fill out any crash reports that you get and do contact customer support so we can gather any extra info. Our plan is to get these quirky bugs fixed soon.

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 2, 2009 1:23pm PDT
kathybad

Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much. I think the Blurb software is a wonderful program. I should not have upgraded while I was working on a project. My bad. But the improvements to the software makes it so enticing. Anyway I hope the patch comes out soon. Because I see that all my books created with the older software version have encountered the same issue.

I like the BookSmart software and all the new features….for a free program I shouldn’t complain too much. But I guess the better a program is the more people will want out of it to create and publish their books.

Some of the things I hope to see in the future.

Photo scaling- would be great to be able to input a percentage. I like to spread some photos across 2 pages and its tricky to get them the same size.

Editing templates: to be able to design a 2 page spread. Also to be able to scale the photo boxes using input measurements.

A navigation feature I hope changes and is made simpler:
The new menu for My Photos is awkward. Since I have a ton of photos per project, I group them in iphoto  into folders. So when I see them in Booksmart I can go to the individual folders. For example, If I shoot a wedding, I might have 2000 photos. So I group my photos into separate folders (ex. Bride dressing, church, reception, dancing, room, bridal suite…etc…) This makes it easier for me so I’m not constantly scrolling through all the 2000 photos.

I don’t like the interface now in Booksmart because you have to scroll down to the iphoto, then scroll down again to the folders. If you check off 1 folder and then decide to view another folder you have to check the second folder to view and the first folder still remains checked until you un-check it.  Sounds confusing…sorry.
Couldn’t you just have a floating pallet for the photos so its easy to select the folder your working with?

Thanks for listening :)

Posted by
antoniohavoc
Oct 3, 2009 8:20am PDT
antoniohavoc

Re; Iphotos, if you click on the ‘filter show all’ you can then select ’photo’s used ’ and the rest disappear
hope that helps.

Posted by
fireflame
Oct 3, 2009 1:59pm PDT
fireflame

Not sure if this is just me but the new version is very slow and also when you edit the layouts, there is a very irritating drag / time lapse – you move the box and it takes a couple of seconds to catch up – it is very difficult to get accurate movements now. The old version was easier.

Also, each time I open up a project all the used photos appear again – you have to click to hide them each time – a little niggle. Is it just me?

Posted by
louiseaspina
Oct 4, 2009 2:05am PDT
louiseaspina

I am new to Blurb and Booksmart. I basically like the system and program a lot. but I do have some of the same issues that other report, basically slowness, a few crashes, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, this issue with my text losing its size and font style when I tinker with the layout of a page. This is making me nuts, this one particular issue.

I am using a Mac with 10.4.11. I would appreicate an idea on how to avoid the one particular problem about formatting getting lost., thanks Peter

Posted by
Blockhed
Oct 4, 2009 7:51am PDT
Blockhed

I’m not having problems with lag or fonts changing. My only problem with the new version is that it is no longer easy to access my pictures in iPhoto. The list of my iPhoto albums doesn’t even contain all of my albums and they are all out of order on the list so it is difficult to even find the albums that are listed. I really hope this problems gets fixed soon.

Posted by
kmfarnsworth
Oct 4, 2009 8:08am PDT
kmfarnsworth

How do I activate the trim marks? I have 2 books in progress, using new 2.5. No trim marks show in either book. I read a blog where someone is getting pink lines, etc. I don’t see any of this & dont see any info on how to activate it.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 4, 2009 8:24am PDT
loricherokee

Just updated from Booksmart 2.0.2 to 2.5.0. What a huge mistake! I am on a Windows computer with 8GB of RAM and it takes 15 to 20 seconds to load each page and Booksmart crashes when you select certain menu items like Page Setup. The new version is unusable. I tried going back to 2.0.2 but the books won’t open because they were updated to 2.5.0. What a mess! 2.0.2 was solid.

Posted by
trnicholas
Oct 4, 2009 8:26am PDT
trnicholas

I’m also in the process of building a book in 2.02. Should I finish that project off and order in this version before upgrading?

Posted by
kittykat23uk
Oct 4, 2009 10:26am PDT
kittykat23uk

Hi Lori!

Look here…..

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 4, 2009 10:27am PDT
tfrankland

Thx Tony. I actually found it after posting the question. However, that led to another question. There aren’t any trim lines on the cover. Why? It would be especially helpful on the imagewrap I think. Thx for the help.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 4, 2009 11:15am PDT
loricherokee

Has anyone actually tried to make changes in a book using the trim grid? I just spent the past 2 hrs on a 80 pg book trying to adjust photos according to the grid. It’s a horrendous process. The trim marks & pink section don’t appear on the Edit Layout pg.; only  on the Edit Book pg. You have to keep moving back & forth between the 2 pgs. When I try to adjust photo by changing just one side of container at a time, the whole container moves. The software isn’t precise enough to allow really small changes. I end up w/photos either too far away from the trim area or too close. I’ve changed the color of a text box 3 times & it went back to the orginal color. I finally had to delete the old box & start over. It also seems that the pink area is a lot bigger than the trim area is supposed to be. Some pgs appear to have lots of white space. I’ve actually rebooted  my computer twice hoping it would help. It didn’t. I’m only on pg 23. I may not make it to pg 80.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 4, 2009 1:34pm PDT
loricherokee

running into major trouble with booksmart for mac since the latest update 2.5! love blurb but since software update last week

-“lost” a book-hope blurb finds it back; when I try to open the program freezes and I have to force quit
- booksmart crashed twice while deleting a photo and then the whole book was gone
-having trouble to find my iphoto library when working on books that were started before the latest update
anyone similar experiences?

Posted by
cmbreed
Oct 5, 2009 11:43am PDT
cmbreed

Regarding the issue of all iPhotos showing up by default… I found out how to get rid of them from view. In “Filter”, navigate to iPhoto an make sure “All Photos” is UNchecked.

Posted by
angelocikes
Oct 5, 2009 12:34pm PDT
angelocikes

It took 2 days but I finally finished editing the 63 pgs of what will be either an 80 or 120-pg book so that all photos/text fit within the trim line & the pink area. It’s a great idea unfortunately not executed very well. In some instances I only needed to move a container a tiny fraction but it’s impossible to be that precise w/this software. It’s also exceedingly slow. I would try to move a container & either nothing happened for 2-3 sec or it moved further than I wanted it to be. As I said above, it would have been easier if the trim lines also appeared in the Edit Layout pgs. I’m still trying to find out why the trim lines & pink area are not on the cover. Guess I’ll try Customer Service for that one. Good luck everybody.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 5, 2009 12:45pm PDT
loricherokee

Oh, how I wish I’d never downloaded this version! Is is unbelievably slow and crashes my computer almost every time I open my project. Also, when I do manage to reopen my project it suddenly shows ALL my iPhoto pictures instead of just the ones I had imported. Very, very bad upgrade, I want the old version back!

Posted by
sabienbuts
Oct 5, 2009 3:00pm PDT
sabienbuts

Lori, and perhaps others. You mentioned having trouble moving boxes around tiny fractions. Maybe you know this, but… if you are in edit mode, and choose one box so that the edges highlight, it can be moved one pixel at a time by using your arrow keys (up, down, left, right). Does that help? Sorry if this idea is not useful, or if it does’nt work for you for some reason. I agree that the software is very hard to use by grabbing and pulling the box around with the mouse.

Posted by
Blockhed
Oct 5, 2009 4:58pm PDT
Blockhed

Well I’m very pleased with version 2.5, lots of improvements that just makes life easier. I’m running Windows XP and Photoshop CS3 to edit images before inserting into book.

Posted by
BarryHill
Oct 6, 2009 9:24am PDT
BarryHill

Hi,

For those of you experiencing problems with iPhoto and BookSmart, here’s an update:

This release included some changes to our existing iPhoto interface so that it integrates better with other image content. One side effect of this integration is that iPhoto users who have large libraries – 6,000+ images – may experience a performance reduction when opening or creating new books. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this automated process just yet, so you’ll have to hang tight until BookSmart finishes this process. You should then be able to work with increased performance once your images are fully loaded.

We are definitely researching a solution for this and we’ll update everyone further when we have a resolution.

Meanwhile thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 6, 2009 10:43am PDT
kathybad

Thanks for the feedback Kathy. Look forward to getting the update!

Posted by
beaker1827
Oct 6, 2009 9:20pm PDT
beaker1827

I just upgraded… TWO BIG ISSUES, this on Vista.

1. Some of my BOOKS ARE GONE!

Luckily I have a backup, but when I try to open books from the library, they don’t open. What am I doing wrong here?! I have some files that are .jpgexport. Those I can open… but all the .book files do not open. And blurb does not seem to find the other books. What happened? How can I get these books back?  (Luckily, I backed up the one book I am working on so that I can keep going, but those that I did not have backups for, those just have the .book files and this new version cannot open them!)

2. My custom page layouts are gone.

So I was hoping to start some new books with custom layouts – but those are also missing. Where could those be? There is a file called CUSTOM.LAYOUTS.LAYOUT but I cannot open it with this new version. How do I get those back?!

Thanks for any help provided. Frown

Posted by
jjcartwright
Oct 11, 2009 6:36am PDT
jjcartwright

Ok… I regret posting that now. I find the book in another location… strange that the library was in a new location, as usually when I upgrade it finds all the old books no problem.

JUST ANOTHER CASE OF HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO BACK UP BEFORE YOU UPGRADE!

Thanks

Posted by
jjcartwright
Oct 11, 2009 6:38am PDT
jjcartwright

Clicking on download to install on computer for the first time, nothing happens – what do you suggest, really frustrated. have Blurb installed on computer at work.  Behind on a project because I have been in the hospital trying to finish up at home HELP
 HELP PLEASE

Posted by
tdalexander
Oct 11, 2009 1:53pm PDT
tdalexander

UGHHHHHH! I am so frustrated! I just downloaded the new version and I keep get while insalling that that blurb is "uninstalling the previous version". I deleted all versions from my PC and I keep getting the same message….please help….I’m going crazy!

Posted by
tarastein
Oct 13, 2009 5:17pm PDT
tarastein

I have a feeling that this won’t be your final version for this year when it come to the Booksmart download and program. There is much work needed here in order for this program and software to function and be worked with successfully.
It’s a really great theory, and a wonderful possibility for the future for all who wish to publish their works. For now, I don’t trust that it can work effectively or efficiently. So far it has proven only to be a repeated exercise in frustration.
Keep working on it Blurb folk.. Bring it into integrity and function and that way all will be able to enjoy the creative use of it. As for myself, I do not trust this process any further. I will continue to write and look for other possibilities.

Posted by
lamont103
Oct 14, 2009 1:24pm PDT
lamont103

I downloaded the new version but now I can’t access iphoto from the book I was working on.

if I start a new book, iphoto shows up under the filter, but in the book i’m working on, I don’t have the option to choose iphoto anywhere (not under ‘get photos’ or filter). All the photos in the book are from iphoto and are showing up…I just can’t add more or see any in the photo panel.

The book is over 200 pages and I just can’t imagine having to start over. Please help.

Posted by
etrudeau
Oct 25, 2009 1:25pm PDT
etrudeau

similar problem:

when ‘getting photos’ from a folder (not iphoto) is shows all images on my harddrive.

When i try to unchcek ‘all photos’ or ‘iphoto’ it shows nothing.

Posted by
WhiteRabbit9
Oct 25, 2009 3:26pm PDT
WhiteRabbit9