BookSmart

Monitor color profile and BookSmart (NOT to do with print ICC profiles)

Hi,

Is the BookSmart application color profile-aware? On a calibrated, wide-gamut monitor (HP LP2475w) I find oversaturation in reds that isn’t present in color-managed applications. Obviously I can work in the source application to tweak colours, but it’d be nice for the previews in BookSmart to be displayed reasonably close too.

Apologies if this has been asked before but I certainly couldn’t find anything amongst the discussions of AdobeRGB → HP ICC profiles.

Thanks,
Alistair

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Kajun
Oct 6, 2009 12:04pm PDT
Kajun

Any thoughts on this?

Posted by
Kajun
Apr 22, 2010 11:47am PDT
Kajun

From my understanding BookSmart is not colour profile aware. This FAQ seems to go a little way towards answering your questions.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 22, 2010 1:11pm PDT
tfrankland

On the Macintosh at least, BookSmart does not handle color profiles correctly. You have to evaluate your photos in another program, like Photoshop and ignore what you see in BookSmart.

Posted by
jshook
Apr 23, 2010 5:38am PDT
jshook

It seems an omission worth focusing on. I know many/most users have sRBG oriented monitors but given the emphasis Blurb has put on the rest of the colour management workflow, it is disappointing to then work with a book on a professional monitor and have to pretend that the massive reds etc. don’t exist.

Posted by
Kajun
Apr 23, 2010 2:23pm PDT
Kajun

It does seem a glaring breakdown in the color management workflow. Blurb blame it on Java.

Posted by
jshook
Apr 24, 2010 6:10am PDT
jshook