BookSmart

Locked BookSmart 2.5.1 Mac: CRASHES so much!!!

Is anyone experiencing repeated crashes like myself after upgrading to 2.5.1?

I was experiencing some in v 2.5.0 but the upgrade has increased the occurances for me. I’m using a fast PowerMac, but it slows terribly when using this software.

The crashes seem to occur most frequently when using scroll bars or nudging images in boxes using the arrow keys.

I would be grateful for any advice please as my experinces of quickly putting attractive wedding albums together has now turned into a very laborious task. Pity.

Posted by
magreen
Oct 15, 2009 12:59pm PDT
magreen

when BS crashes for you, can you please send in the crash report when it asks you to submit the crash data back to Blurb? We haven’t received any crash reports yet from users yet for this latest patch, so perhaps these crashes were caused by a specific configuration issue on your system.

If the problems continue, please contact customer support and they should be able to help you too.
thanks…

Posted by
sfpeter
Oct 15, 2009 1:07pm PDT
sfpeter

Thank you. I just submitted one, so I shall be interested to hear any findings please.

Posted by
magreen
Oct 15, 2009 2:10pm PDT
magreen

I want to second this, I am using 2.5.1 on a MacBook dual core Intel, and I’ve been having lots of problems typing in Japanese text. Most of the time the problem is it ignores commands when in Hiragana, but tonight it outright crashed when I tried to undo a delete that the software did on its own. I submitted the bug report when it crashed, and haven’t yet restarted. Is there a problem with foreign language support now? I’m trying to make a few bilingual books of my trip to Japan, and I’d rather use BookSmart as the tool rather than something else, because I like how you do layouts and templates.

Posted by
adiseker
Oct 31, 2009 10:27pm PDT
adiseker

I’m trying to create a book using 2.5.1 on a new Mac Pro with Snow Leopard. The program is crashing CONSTANTLY. I’ve submitted a crash report a few days ago, but have not heard anything back. Luckily the auto save works great, or else I would just give up. This is VERY frustrating!

Posted by
SwissByrds
Nov 5, 2009 8:43pm PDT
SwissByrds

I’m experiencing lots of crashes, too. I didn’t send crash reports (my fault!) because I wasn’t at home while working. I couldn’t succeed in creating the book, I passed all the photos to a friend of mine who uses windows. It’s also VERY slow (I have a dual core macbook with 4GB RAM), even slower than previous versions. One more bug: I have a very large iPhoto library: sometimes booksmart crashes while loading it; moreover, I cannot select to show only photos from a selected album (this happens only for some recent album; the older ones work correctly), and I see only few photos from the album (while some of them are duplicated in “my photos” window in the program interface). One more thing: I could leave the iPhoto integration and export the photos I need every time in a different location (for example, in a folder on the desktop); but, again, booksmart pretend to work with iPhoto library and ignores any other path.

Sorry for my post, but I wasted my day trying to prepare a book.. Please, improve OsX version of booksmart!!

Posted by
cemb
Nov 7, 2009 11:39am PDT
cemb

I am using Booksmart in Windows 7 and it crashes all the time. I’ve sent crash reports but no reply yet.

Posted by
Rowbookman
Nov 12, 2009 2:57pm PDT
Rowbookman

Hi folks,

Sorry to hear that some of you are having issues with our latest BookSmart release. If you’re still experiencing problems, contact us here at customer support so that we can get you back up and running.

Thanks for your patience,

Jamie

Posted by
jcolem2
Nov 13, 2009 1:26pm PDT
jcolem2

I am having the same problem with the latest download. 2.5.0 works on my Mac Pro but I can’t get the latest one to even open. It just crashes and says it’s sorry. Cute…but not helpful!

Posted by
skrausse
Nov 16, 2009 9:29am PDT
skrausse

The latest upgrade is driving me nuts. So slow! It seems to slow down my entire computer. The previous version was more stable. I am on a mac as well. Also, it seems to pull in ALL my iphoto pics even though I specifically tell it to only use pics from a specific folder. help!

Posted by
robcg
Nov 16, 2009 6:30pm PDT
robcg

I am having much the same problems. Entire system slows down, frequent crashes. In addition images from a older book are showing up in "My Photos" for all of the books I am currently workin on and can not be deleted. Very frustrating to say the least.

Posted by
wolf391
Nov 18, 2009 1:26am PDT
wolf391

I haven’t made a blurb book in almost a couple years and am making my second one now. I’d hoped the software had improved. The features seem to have definitely improved…. but this dog is crashing almost constantly. VERY frustrating. I’ve got too much time into this new book to scrap it and try out Lulu or MyPublisher instead… so, I’m REALLY hoping there’s a patch to repair this POS Book Smart app soon.

I don’t think I’ve lost data yet, but it’s getting dicey. This is just a 40page landscape book with text and images. I’m using a rock solid MacbookPro 2.3Ghz with 3GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.2

I do like the features and tools in this app, but I can’t remember using a more unstable piece of software. Really hope something is done to fix it because I wanted to make a few books quickly. 

Using the lastest version installed fresh 2.5.1 (no patch applied)

Posted by
skiphunt
Nov 18, 2009 7:41am PDT
skiphunt

I don’t know if this helps… but, I’ve noticed that consistently, when using BookSmart and then opening Word from Office X, BookSmart begins to slow down and then crash. Once it’s crashed, you can relaunch and use it a bit longer, and then it crashes again, and again.

The only thing to do once it’s crashing is to restart the system. If I use BookSmart without launching Word, it seems to not crash at all. It’s slow as "heck", but it doesn’t crash and if I turn off "show all photos" in iPhoto it’s a little better. 

My iPhoto is old too (version 6)… because I really don’t use iPhoto that much and it suffices for my limited use. But, if your  BookSmart app is so closely tied to iPhoto, perhaps that could be an issue? Is there any way to remove the handshaking with iPhoto via preferences?

Posted by
skiphunt
Nov 19, 2009 7:21am PDT
skiphunt

I have sent a number of crash reports. Blurb should have fixed this problem months ago. I give up with it.

Posted by
arthawaii
Dec 5, 2009 11:51am PDT
arthawaii

Hi arthawaii,

Thanks for sending in those reports. However, we do not normally respond directly to these. If you are still having trouble with BookSmart I encourage you to contact us here. Make sure to let us know you have already submitted a report when you do.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Dec 7, 2009 10:44am PDT
csm Icon_staff

How long does it take for you to respond to Customer Support forms regarding the crash? My book will no longer open and I submitted a form AND a crash report more than 24 hours ago and have not received any notification…not even a note that my Customer Support form was received.

Posted by
anga
Dec 29, 2009 12:56pm PDT
anga

Hi anga,

Please check your email (associated with your Blurb account) for a recent message from us which should help get you on your way.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Dec 29, 2009 2:53pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

No, all the above is not helping.

I am running Book Smart 2,5,1 on Intel Mac, version 10.5.8 OSX with lot of space… but the programme is EXTREMELY slow. Have customers waiting, but cannot work like this. Custimer support?

Posted by
MirjamLCV
Feb 25, 2010 1:35pm PDT
MirjamLCV

I’m also experiencing crahses with Windows 7. If I uninstall booksmart and reinstall it, the program works fine until I reboot the PC. After the reboot, the program crashes a few seconds after opening the book. I’ve looked for the log file that booksmart generates and don’t see one in the directories so I have a feeling that the crash reports have no data.

Posted by
myn91
Mar 21, 2010 5:07am PDT
myn91

Hi MirjamLCV, myn91, and anyone else having technical problems,

Please contact us here at customer support for assistance, as the forums aren’t intended for direct technical support. We need to know more details about your particular system, and that’s best done one on one. Drop us a line here and we’ll be happy to help. As this is an older thread I’m going to lock it shortly.

Regards,

Michael/Blurb Customer Support 

Posted by
mikewhy
Mar 22, 2010 8:42am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff