BookSmart

Locked Booksmart 2.5.1 SLOW

I just dowloaded the latest version of Booksmart (2.5.1) and on 2 computers I am running it is unstable.

It take ages for anything to open and it just hangs.  Even creating a new document it hangs and then finally opens after about 5 minutes. 

Has anyone else experienced such issues?  The older verions worked fine.

Posted by
digitalsun
Oct 15, 2009 4:46pm PDT
digitalsun

I have been using version 2.5.0 for several weeks now and have had no problems whatsoever.  I was very hesitant to download it based on problems that others have posted, so I kept an older version on another computer.  But I really like this version.  I really like the ability to move, change, and add text and image boxes.

It looks like I will be ordering my book sometime next week.

John

Posted by
friend1979
Oct 16, 2009 3:43pm PDT
friend1979

That’s good news for you that it’s working fine, but doesn’t really help my situation.  I think I have an older verion somewhere so looks like I will have to go back to using that.  Not that I want to as I liked the idea of being able to move text around etc. 

When I open the program it stalls and does so for around 3 minutes.  Everytime I try to open or close a document it freezes for 3-4 minutes and then closes.  Very frusturating.

Posted by
digitalsun
Oct 16, 2009 11:25pm PDT
digitalsun

Yes, moving text and image boxes and changing their size really is a plus.

Could it be that your computers don’t have enough RAM (memory)?  I am grasping at straws here but just a thought.  Not sure why it works great on some computers and not others – that makes me wonder if it is not a problem with the software?

Posted by
friend1979
Oct 17, 2009 10:30am PDT
friend1979

I too have wondered if it was my computer causing the slowdowns – but I run files just as big or bigger and it’s never slow.  It’s the newer version for sure.  The patch seems to make matters worse.  Hopefully they come out with a cherry version because I’m at a standstill.<!--Session data-->

Posted by
bkminer4
Oct 30, 2009 7:45pm PDT
bkminer4

Having used Booksmart since summer of 2006, I must say that 2.5.1 is the best version yet.  I’ve just finished a 330-page photo book of a trip to Europe last summer (going to upload today), and 2.5.1 so far has performed flawlessly.  The ability to edit/create page layouts really makes it a useful program. I must say, however, that it ran much better and more smoothly after I upgraded to 4GB of RAM (running Vista SP2). Sorry that I have no solutions to offer, though…

Posted by
gcjones
Oct 31, 2009 11:06am PDT
gcjones

Digitalsun,
I have the same problem!!
I’m a long time booksmart user an my new copy of the software is super slow!!!
I have a feeling it has to do with the size of our Iphoto library!!!
Wrote tech support….
please let me know if u were able to find a solution….
Thanks,

Guy

Posted by
guyaroch
Nov 1, 2009 9:02pm PDT
guyaroch

Slow issue??
I got it!!!
It has to do with ur Iphoto Library…. (Mine has over 54000 photos in it…. )
U need to quit Iphoto, rename ur mane library and relaunch Iphoto…
a window should pop up asking to direct / create a new Iphoto Library…
Do that…
When u relaunch Booksmart, it will all b good.
(U will now need to manually add any photos for the book u are working on….)
Hope that helps.
Guy

Posted by
guyaroch
Nov 2, 2009 5:56am PDT
guyaroch

I don’t have iphoto and both my computers have 3GB RAM so I don’t think that is the issue.  Very annoying and it seems other people are hainvg the same problem as well.  Looks like I’ll have to be making books elsewhere

Posted by
digitalsun
Nov 2, 2009 7:28pm PDT
digitalsun

FIXED!  The problem seemed to be with internet security!  After checking things out Blurb now runs fast!

Posted by
digitalsun
Nov 22, 2009 3:45am PDT
digitalsun

digitalsun… what did you do?! I’ve had the same problem but at least got through a book. Wanted to start another one, but the software was so slow and buggy that I figured I’d wait for the next update instead. I too thought maybe it had something to do with the size of an iPhoto library or perhaps some problem related to my version of Word.

What exactly did you do regarding internet security that fixed it for you?

Posted by
skiphunt
Nov 22, 2009 10:31am PDT
skiphunt

A way of checking to see if it is indeed your internet security you can try turning it all off.  BUT disconnect from the internet before doing so. Then try opening again and see if Blrub is working.  It may or may not be, so it might be worth tracking back to see what other programs you have recently installed as this may have something to do with it as well.  Good luck, hope you can get it working.

Posted by
digitalsun
Nov 22, 2009 6:16pm PDT
digitalsun