BookSmart

Library Folder

OK, can anybody tell me what this "library" sbu-folder is in the "booksmartdata" folder?  Mine has 729 files and is 802MB in size.  It contains files with "screen", "thumb", "zoom", and "original" as the file extensions.

I’m sure this is what’s bogging down my system…I’ve never seen a program create a folder with this many files in it!

Does anybody know what it’s for?  Can it be safely deleted without killing the book I’ve been working on for weeks?

Thanks very much.

BlueMax2 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bluemax2
Oct 7, 2007 6:56pm PDT
bluemax2

sorry, SUB-folder, not sbu-folder.

Posted by
bluemax2
Oct 7, 2007 6:56pm PDT
bluemax2

BlueMax2,

Are you running on Mac?

All of BookSmart .book files are stored in these folders you mentioned. Do not attempt to remove any of these folders! If you do, BookSmart will not be able to retrieve files effectively, or simply not working at all.

As for 729 files and 802MB in size, it is probably how you put all of images in your BookSmart and depends on how many book project(s) you have done so far.

What is your “experience” level working with BookSmart? To delete files, you need to delete inside the BookSmart while running. Though, I have able to move these files around, but it is more of “advanced” technique, and I would not want to recommend it highly particularly with individuals who are not as savvy as some computer savvy users who understand how this works, and what’s not.

To do this, you need to remove your book files that you have worked in the past. Do •NOT• attempt to remove these folders manually, though.

Hope that helps?

Posted by
brianbonitz
Oct 7, 2007 8:40pm PDT
brianbonitz

hello brian,

thanks for the reply.

no, i’m running winxp sp2.  the problem is i can’t get my book to open anymore.  it was fine up until a few days ago.  now when i try to open it, nothing happens.  the program simply freezes, although task manager says it’s using 99% of the CPU at >300,000K memory.

in the "booksmartdata" folder there are the following files and sub-folders:

files:

mybook.book (59,900 KB)

mybook.settings (3KB)

mybook.jpg (42 KB)

the folders are:

library (729 files / 802 MB)

themes (3 files / 51 KB) 

i’m running winxp sp2, 1GB RAM, 2GHZ pentium processor. 

Posted by
bluemax2
Oct 8, 2007 2:43am PDT
bluemax2

Hello bluemax2;

On the "not opening" scenario – check-out the MANY posts about this. It’s a software failure that (in theory) is being addressed in the pending new release 1.9…

On the library front – that’s the way Blurb works! It is not at all a compact piece of software; in fact you’ll find that if you start a new book – it even re-builds a bunch of files for each and every book! I don’t know why it can’t just link to given files in the main system arena.

The bilk of the space is down to the fact that it imports a copy of the image you are using – it does NOT link to the image, which it should do IMHO… Also, if you import an image, and then delete it, the image file stays in the library. If you re-import it, it creates a new file, so you wind up with multiple copies of dead files! Finding which ones to delete is difficult because of the image file name BookSmart generates! This is something that really needs to be addressed in 1.9 – HOPEFULLY!

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 8, 2007 6:55am PDT
lkb-28

So it sounds like there is a way to delete an photo from the photo library – to clean out the photos you are not using. Is that true?  If so, how do you delete a photo in the photo library?
Thanks

Kody Kline

Posted by
OK_VFORCE
Oct 11, 2007 8:13pm PDT
OK_VFORCE