BookSmart

Calculating upload size and time.

I have done a backup of my book directory and found it to be 4.5GB (this is GB not MB). Is this the size of the upload or are there processes before it is sent? Please note that there are no unused images being stored in the project.

Thanks, John

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
oddball508
Oct 7, 2007 9:40pm PDT
oddball508

Hi John;

Based on my own experience, I would say your calculation is probably about right! The UPLOAD file will be c. 4.5Gb for a decent sized book…

BookSmart is not the most compact piece of software around!

I just set mine up and let it run – and hoped that the connection or server didn’t fall over half-way through! (If it does – you need to start again – there is no FTP style "resume" facilty…)

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 8, 2007 7:00am PDT
lkb-28

I did a 160 page 10×8 hard cover book with 180 photos. Upload file was about 600 MB. I can’t believe a normal sized book upload would be over 1 GB unless you are importing way oversized photo files. I have let my book upload overnight, and found it completed and ready for me to complete my order in the morning. On a revised edition I transferred the .book file to my laptop and opened in Booksmart, which took about an hour to digest, before taking it to an Internet coffee shop with a super fast connection, where it took only a little over 1 hour to upload the book. That was about 10 times as fast as my Wildblue satellite connection from home.

Posted by
booknik
Oct 9, 2007 1:45pm PDT
booknik

Hi booknik;

As with most things in life, some of this is down to a trade-off…

If you’re using High Quality RAW conversions, then the (like for like) file size will be at least 3x greater than the equivalent of an in-camera JPEG conversion…

Also, it depends on where you want to employ your time! In general terms, I’m quite happy to let the BookSmart software re-size my images to fit their frame , rather than have to PhotoShop each & every one of them to size them specifically… but this does of course result in a much bigger file to transfer…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 10, 2007 8:44am PDT
lkb-28