BookSmart

Unable to delete pictures from My Photos

I have old pictures in my My Photos which I don’t wan to use in my new book, but I can’t seem to delete them. When I highlight them the delete button doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ekruijver
Nov 4, 2009 4:45pm PDT
ekruijver

Try right-click then select the Delete option, of use the Delete key on your keyboard.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 5, 2009 1:29am PDT
tfrankland

I have exactly the same problem. The delete option does not work. I have a Mac OS X 10.5.7.

Posted by
barcelona27
Nov 12, 2009 2:58am PDT
barcelona27

I’ve got the same problem too using Snow Leopard

Posted by
gchord
Nov 12, 2009 2:49pm PDT
gchord

I have the same problem… I tried to simply import about 90 images I was going to work with. I selected ONLY the images I wanted to use in the book, and HUNDREDS of images populated the library.

I also noticed the simply creating this book dropped my harddrive space by 2GB!!! This is only about 200MB of images. 

I’ve tried right clicking the images I don’t want in the library but the "delete" option is greyed out. 

Heip please. 

Using a Mac with SnowLeopard 10.6.2

Posted by
skiphunt
Nov 16, 2009 2:10pm PDT
skiphunt

Bumping this topic as I too am unable to delete unwanted photos in library and this query obviously affects lots of us.

I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Posted by
Bushgirl
Nov 18, 2009 2:48am PDT
Bushgirl

Can I suggest one of you raise this issue directly with Blurb? Then report back here for the benefit of the rest.

If not sure how, go to the Help menu at the top of this page and choose Customer Support. From there choose Technical Help.

….Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 18, 2009 3:34am PDT
tfrankland

OK I,ve found the answer in a similar topic:

“You can turn off your iPhoto library by adjusting BookSmarts picture filter. Simply click filter (located underneath the AutoFlow button within My Photos), then navigate to iPhoto and click it to uncheck it. This will hide your iPhoto photo for this project.
Unfortunately you can delete any image from your iPhoto library in BookSmart only filter them. "

You have to import the pictures you are working with from a normal folder. These pictures can be deletted.

Posted by
barcelona27
Nov 20, 2009 12:49am PDT
barcelona27

I discovered the same thing, ie. de-selecting the "All Photos" on the iPhoto stream. I haven’t used BookSmart in almost 2 years so when I launched the fresh version… I was like "what are all these iPhoto images doing in here? I didn’t import these! How do I get them out of my BookSmart project?"

It makes sense I suppose that you couldn’t delete the images represented within your iPhoto libraries, but the way it’s laid out, it’s not really intuitive. Seems like it’d be better if "show all" for your iPhoto library isn’t the default setting. Just my $.02 worth. ;-)

Posted by
skiphunt
Nov 20, 2009 8:40am PDT
skiphunt

skiphunt: Completely agree that “show all” should not be the default setting. What makes this worse is that once you’ve changed it, the change is not “sticky”—you have to reset this every time you open the project.

Posted by
jshook
Nov 20, 2009 11:22am PDT
jshook

Same problem here. I have tons of photos in my library. I can’t figure out how to delete them. They slow down the whole application to the point where it is almost unusable. When I sort them, it doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to get out of the "show all" mode. It’s a huge problem and unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to make another book. If Blurb wants to stay in business they better fix this problem.

Posted by
karlkotas
Dec 13, 2009 5:07pm PDT
karlkotas

I just started using blurb tonight and have the same problem. Also, noted that launching the software gobbled up 2GB’s of space! Where is the directory, library, or folder that these are copied? I want to delete it and get my HD space back. And why not just store them where they are and used referenced files? Can anyone let me know where they are stored so I can delete? Thanks.

Posted by
traciandcory
Dec 18, 2009 8:05pm PDT
traciandcory

So I am working through my photos in my iphoto library, and I am having no problem deleting photos by simply tapping the "delete" key. Then all of a sudden the delete key stops working, and when I push it, it advances me to the next photo. Then I try to drag the photo to the trash and it wont move to the trash can. I reboot several times; and it still doesn’t work. I thought that it might be somehow related to my time maching backing up the old photos; but when I tried the newest Christmas day photos, it wouldnt work either (before the photos were saved on external hard drive). I guess what makes it so frustrating is that it was working great for about a month; now it doesn’t. What can I do?

Posted by
Colbystewart
Dec 26, 2009 5:54am PDT
Colbystewart

i also have this problem on mac os 10.6.2.

the photos were imported through the finder, nothing to do with iphoto. 

has anyone found a fix or workaround, or contacted blurb directly ?

Posted by
tonywebber
Dec 26, 2009 12:02pm PDT
tonywebber

I have had my iMac OSX for just 7 mos and I hate it!!! Nothing is familiar…I too cannot get my photos to delete. I find myself using my PC most of the time. It’s up for sale if anyone is interested…LOL Not kidding!!! This system is highly over rated and extremely confusing for the average user. It seems it’s been designed for professional people, me not being one of them. I’m DONE!!!

Posted by
ilovemundays
Jul 30, 2010 3:44pm PDT
ilovemundays

I contacted Apple and they helped me with this problem. You simply go to "iPhoto", then using the left click on your mouse, highlight the photo you wish to delete. Then holding the mouse down, drag your picture to the left side of the display where it says "Trash" and "Drag and Drop" your photo into it and poof! It’s gone! So simple, but impossible to figure out without Apple Tech Support. They really need to put that in their $30 manual that doesn’t even come with the iMac. What a rip!

Posted by
ilovemundays
Jul 30, 2010 9:28pm PDT
ilovemundays

Go to iPhotos, then in your pix using the left click on your mouse, highlight the photo and holding the mouse down, drag it to the "trash" on the left of the display and just like that, it’s gone!!!

Hope this helps you out.

Posted by
ilovemundays
Jul 30, 2010 9:32pm PDT
ilovemundays

I am having the same problem: can’t delete because right click nor Delete button won’t work. I imported photos from finder, and now they won’t go away. I don’t want them to go away from Iphoto, just blurb. What can I do?

Posted by
elicia-andy
Dec 19, 2010 2:35pm PDT
elicia-andy

click the picture
and click delete

Posted by
Flash2011
Jan 11, 2013 3:24pm PDT
Flash2011

use the keyboard button for delete

Posted by
Flash2011
Jan 11, 2013 3:25pm PDT
Flash2011

ilovemundays: "Then holding the mouse down, drag your picture to the left side of the display where it says “Trash” and “Drag and Drop” your photo into it and poof! It’s gone!"

Not quite. For reasons I can pretend to understand, the iPhoto “Trash” is not an actual delete. Click on it and see all the photos you thought you had deleted. To make them really go away, you have to:

iPhoto > Empty iPhoto Trash

Then they’re really gone.

Posted by
jshook
Jan 12, 2013 9:10am PDT
jshook

For reasons I cannot pretend to understand,

Posted by
jshook
Jan 12, 2013 9:11am PDT
jshook