BookSmart

Locked How do you distribute photos evenly across a page?

Let’s say I had 4 photos on a page and the photos were slightly different widths.  I want to make sure that there is the same amount of space between the photos.  In In MS Publisher, I would select all four of the photos.  Select Arange – Align or Distribute – Distribute Horizontally (or vertically if that is the case). Then POOF – the photos are evenly spaced between the first and last photo. I  do this often when putting books together so I am sure all my photos are evenly spaced across the page, even if they are not the same size.  

So, how do I do t his in BOOKSMART?  I see Align for top, bottom, right, left and center, but how do you distribute multiple photos evenly across the page without going into advanced math? 

I also find the frames for photos and text very sluggish to move. It is easier to drag one side wider, then the other narrower.  How come we can’t access the X, Y, height and width coordinates directly? Hmmm?? 

Programmers? Are you listening? Can you help?

Posted by
Francyn
Nov 5, 2009 12:41pm PDT
Francyn

Good question. I was up against the same thing and the only way I could find to do was to go into Edit Layout and use the grid, dragging the frames until they were an equal number of grid sqaures apart.

Not only was this incredibly tedious, but as you point out, you also have to do some mental math. One thing that does help a bit is that you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the frames left, right, up or down. You can also highlight multiple frames and move them together, either by dragging or using the arrow keys. Once you get the hang of this it does save some time. Using the arrow keys seems more precise than dragging, though it’s even slower.

BookSmart really needs some work in this area. It’s especially obnoxious when you’re trying to create a new template from scratch. It took me the better part of an hour to create one layout and get it right. An exercise like this should would take no more than ten minutes in InDesign.

Posted by
novalightmik
Nov 5, 2009 10:03pm PDT
novalightmik

I thought I tried the arrows and nothing worked. Do you need to use SHIFT, ALT or CTRL with the arrow keys?  Another improvement I’d like to see is when importing the photos.  I would be nice to be able to see a thumbnail of the photo.  I have hundreds of photos and need to flip back and forth between the folder with thumbnail or slideshow view just to figure out what the picture number is.  It would be so much easier to be able to see the picture in the upload window.

Posted by
Francyn
Nov 6, 2009 6:27am PDT
Francyn

Got the arrows to work. Very helpful. Still would like Distribute Vertically or Horizontally option as well as thumbnail option for import.  Everything else is awesome.

Posted by
Francyn
Nov 12, 2009 2:10pm PDT
Francyn

this is a feature i find very glaringly missing from the Edit Layout feature.

so i resort to using the arrow keys. discovered that using SHIFT+arrow keys will move the frames at a faster rate. using just arrow keys (without pressing down SHIFT) will "finetune" the frame move.

cheers

Posted by
kenkoay
Nov 18, 2009 8:18pm PDT
kenkoay

I cannot believe that this feature still has not been added to Booksmart!

Is there anywhere on this website to suggest new features to Blurb?  They really need to pull up their socks a bit if they are to stay ahead of the competitors.

Posted by
sparklysally
Jan 4, 2011 4:13pm PDT
sparklysally

Help….. Customer Support…. Contact Support….. E-Mail….. Then select Suggestion from the Type of Issue  drop down near the top of the form.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 5, 2011 1:22am PDT
tfrankland